By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What do you need from Nintendo to deliver with NX?

Big games instead of 2D and/or niche and/or low-budget games. That's all I want. I want a first-party lineup that's even half as awesome as the Gamecube's.

Around the Network

A reasonable (cheap) price as well as compelling and steady software releases. I don't expect much of them in regards to 3rd party, online or decent hardware (hence cheap price).

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Just put good games on it.

They need to innovate, plain and simple.

Asking core gamers like those on this board is kind of pointless, because the main responses you're going to get basically boil down to "make a Playstation". Which would be fine, if there wasn't already a Playstation (and XBox on top of that) filling that market need already.

NX needs to be something different, new, and fresh in an immediately understood and appealing way. Easier said than done, but that's basically where Nintendo is at.

"I need", "I want" coming from gamers who are 25-40 years old isn't really the market Nintendo should be listening to either (hate to say it). They need to get a new generation of kids otherwise they will not have a foundation for their business for the next 10-20 years. They need to take more chances on new IP like Splatoon, but the IP must be marketable. 

A Nintendo that's basically stuck selling to 40-year-old men who are trying to relive their youth is a bit of a sad prospect, they need a new generation of fans. In the same way you could say that The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Beauty & The Beast, and The Lion King brought Disney a new generation of fans. 

Platina said:
I more or less agree with your points except for 4 and 5..

but $250 console does not match with points 2,3,4

They don't need to have a 4k ready with more or similar power of Xone/PS4. What they need is cost effective machine that has more processing power then the WiiU that can handle HD graphic, maintain steady 30/60 fps and fast load times. The NX is going to sell has a secondary consoles to the Xbox one and PS4. That's why I think the lower price point is really important. 

Around the Network

there a rumor that nintendo would use AMD APU, it doesn't mean Nintendo would totally scrap backwards compatibility but it might be to difficult or added more work to have it backwards compatible. If it is BC, then games that require gamepad only would be supported on their NX system too.

great vast of games from the start and push those VC games to NX and gamers who own those games should just pay one off and all VC games would be part of their NX system. i hope that is the intent of having a unified OS then gamers can bring their VC games to NX without paying too much.

3rd party support and more online on games that can benefit a lot from it.

Personally as long as it has new Nintendo games I'll buy it. That simple.

The only thing I need is for it to be a commercial success. I know the games will be there, but if it's another sales failure, it may be the end of Nintendo's home console run and I don't want that to happen.

Nintendo's next home console needs to be cheap and it needs to be compatible with the games that appear on Nintendo's next handheld system. It needs to have universal saves with their next handheld. It needs to play popular browser games, as does their handheld. They need to bring over as many smart-phone games as they can. Those are the third party developers they need to spend money on.

Nintendo's next consoles are going to be more Japanese oriented than ever, not less.

Of course, that might help them in the west. Someone who wants to play a game like Fire Emblem but doesn't want another handheld device could enjoy it on the big screen.

Speaking of Fire Emblem, Nintendo needs more games like that and less games that are just new versions of what they've been releasing for the last twenty years. No offense to anyone who loves Kirby, or Donkey Kong, or Mario _____ but those games, while they certainly sell to the Nintendo faithful, are not winning new customers. They need to be mixed in with more diverse offerings, games that will make people stop and reconsider. This is the time for Nintendo to invest in new IP that they are serious about pushing and advertising and developing into strong franchises.