By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What do you need from Nintendo to deliver with NX?

As a parent, the NX will have to have Minecraft- We have only had Nintendo consoles/3DS so far but the next console for our home has to have it- IMO and experience, Nintendo has lost significant market share among the youth demo due to no Minecraft- Has anyone looked at the sales of the recent Lego Jurasic Pk game- The Wii U was not even close to the other platforms in sales

There are more requirements as well but most of them have been covered in previous post-

Having bought the Wii U on launch day- there is no way ill buy the NX on launch day or window- Nintendo will have to show a willingness to "defend their hardware". It is part of their brand afterall- They did a terrible job doing that w the Wii U- IF and that is a big IF- they get a decent cross section of 3rd party games, they need to follow thru w them- I don t want my kids and/or i to start a series I enjoy to only end up being able to play part of it because Nintendo did not have enough confidence in their own console to defend it

Around the Network

I don't expect anything extraordinary hardware-wise (probably a bit above Wii-U level) but I do expect ambitious games.

I will try to keep mine restrained

Mario Galaxy successor
Zelda title
Third party support
A solid controller (like the Wii U Pro Controller)

Reasonable price for power ($299 for ~PS4 level system in 2016/2017 is not crazy)

third-parties

full VC library at launch

a 'normal' controller for god's sake.

start trying to compete with hardware again

they don't have to make a dramatic shift to core gamers, but at least get a few "mature tone" Nintendo titles out again, e.g. Metroid Prime, Twilight Princess, F-Zero etc.

a name that doesn't suck

re-hire their marketing department

A steady release of games, the droughts have been a big problem. All Wii U VC games to work at launch and the transfer to the NX to be free. Built in replaceable HDD, ethernet port and support for Wii U/Wii controllers.

Regardless as long as it had good games, I will pick it up. But including the above will definitely make me happy.

Around the Network
gabzjmm23 said:
traveler72 said:

Third parties seem to ignore things that help them.

why would they bother with ps4/x1 level of power?. If NX is a portable, it will be much less powerfull, if it's a home console, it will be much more powerfull.

cutie IPs? Nintendo is definetely more expansive than others in the franchise department. they are always bringing new IPs (not that it's required). Now, why would they colaborate with multiplatform titles? colaborations are for exclusives.

They already have a normal controller as the main one, unless you think the NES, SNES, N64 and GC controllers aren't normal, because like the gamepad, they all introduced imputs without removing buttons/imputs. the gamepad is a normal controller with a screen.

1.they need to get 3rd party big games in order for them to have better sales. they are in the middle of the current gen (PS4/X1), why would gamers buy another console that is subpar to PS4/X1 to play 3rd party games. and it would be an excuse for those gamers who won't buy an NX version since it is an inferior port....

2.they need to diversify and market more IPs outside the Marios, Zeldas, Kirby, Yoshi.  They need to have more on Samus Aran, Bayo 3, etc...

3.collaborate with 3rd party of NX versions, why? because Nintendo knows, 3rd party alone coming to NX won't deliver and sales won't be great. again a chicken and egg, 3rd party supported a bit, sales aren't great, so they'll pull out. but gamers who reviewed and bought those Nintendo ports are worst than PS/MS counterparts... so collaborating it in terms of market and trying to finesse the game more...

4.again, a gamepad is not your typical normal controller. neither was the WiiMote.  Gamecube's design is radical and so was the WaveBird.  They really like innovation but not all innovative controllers are great.  We knew Wii as a whole is a successful but does all gamers love it? can you really play a ton of games using the WiiMote? and why would Nintendo released a Classic controller?

5.Classic controller or the Pro controller is the normal hardcore gamer wants, just use your two hands and play it like how it is being played.  I know Nintendo can still pull off a new type of controller like a gamepad 2 with slick, thinner design and better resolution, but how much would it cost the next console?

6.Even Iwata mentioned why the Wii U sales aren't great, and the cost of the gamepad is a lot hence they can't lower the console's price that much.

seriously, what are you talking about?

1. we are in the middle of the current gen (wii u,ps4,x1) NOW, in 2017 it will be close to the end of it. what imaginary subpar console are you talking about? I already said the wii u sucessor (may or may not be NX) wouldn't bother with ps4/x1 level of power, it will be much higher.

2. It's very ignorant to say nintendo doesn't diversify their IP outside mario and zelda. every gen they make tons of games from the biggest and smallest franchises while trying new IPs.

3. 3rd party alone does deliver sales, it's that simple. we just can't expect 3rd parties to sell without releasing anything.

4. The wiimote wasn't a typical controller because it lacked some buttons but the gamepad IS a normal controller. nothing is loved by ALL gamers, but you can bet many hardcore gamers love the wii. Of course you can play a ton of games with the wiimote and nunchuck, what kind of question is that? a pro controller was released for virtual console games the wii mote and nunchuck couldn't play (because of buttons) and dual analogue for some wii games.

5. That's not what the hardcore gamer wants, it's simply what gamers got so far. Gamers want what is best. If something better shows up, gamers will prefer it, just like they prefered current controllers over the ones from previous generations. For example, a controller more or less shaped like a pro controller but it's actually two halfs that act as a wiimote and nunchuck is infinetely better than what currently exists. It would have the buttons that wiimote and nunchuck lacked and could be put together when motion controls aren't required.

The theoretical gamepad you described would certainly cost much less than the first one at wii u's launch.

6. really, check your facts. it was never mentioned they couldn't cut the console price because of the gamepad (that doesn't even make sense). iwata said they couldn't cut the price so far because of the yen, but that was a few months ago and it's very possible that a pricecut will come this year.

shikamaru317 said:

Hybrid console/handheld, $250 or less, backwards compat with Wii U and 3DS. Handheld power close to 360/PS3 and console power not too far behind XB1. That's for a day one purchase, even if it doesn't meet those criteria I may still get it later in it's life depending on what exclusives it has.

IF something so absurd were to happen, it would cost $150 at launch.

Graphics games affordable price

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

shikamaru317 said:
traveler72 said:
shikamaru317 said:

Hybrid console/handheld, $250 or less, backwards compat with Wii U and 3DS. Handheld power close to 360/PS3 and console power not too far behind XB1. That's for a day one purchase, even if it doesn't meet those criteria I may still get it later in it's life depending on what exclusives it has.

IF something so absurd were to happen, it would cost $150 at launch.

What exactly is so absurd about a hybrid? It's been heavily rumored for like 2 years now (Nintendo Fusion).

It's absurd to think the next home console from nintendo will be less powerfull than x1 or ps4. Even more absurd is thinking that level of hardware would cost more than $150 by 2017.

As for a hybrid, you just said it, it's been heavily RUMORED and speculated  but without any official data to back it up. Besides, a console can't exactly be a hybrid. It would either be two separate pieces (home and handheld) and therefore incredibly expensive, or a handheld that can be plugged on the tv. the latter case is still just a handheld, so the hardware can only be slightly better than a ps360, still quite behind Wii U.

shikamaru317 said:
traveler72 said:

It's absurd to think the next home console from nintendo will be less powerfull than x1 or ps4. Even more absurd is thinking that level of hardware would cost more than $150 by 2017.

As for a hybrid, you just said it, it's been heavily RUMORED and speculated  but without any official data to back it up. Besides, a console can't exactly be a hybrid. It would either be two separate pieces (home and handheld) and therefore incredibly expensive, or a handheld that can be plugged on the tv. the latter case is still just a handheld, so the hardware can only be slightly better than a ps360, still quite behind Wii U.

If it's a hybrid I could see it going one of two ways:

• A seperate handheld and console that share the same interface and game library with scaling graphics. Maybe $200 each, sold together as a $350 bundle. Handheld has 360/PS3 equivalent specs, console is about 20% less powerful than XB1 (both sets of specs would be possible for $200 by Holiday 2016-2017).
  • A handheld that can be placed in a docking station that provides a connection to the TV and an A/C outlet. The handheld's chipset either overclocks itself or has disabled cores that activate when docked, giving you extra power while hooked up to a TV. In such a case I'm guessing it would be $250-300 including the docking station and console controller, with specs that are around Wii U level as a handheld and a bit above Wii U level when docked. 

If it's not a hybrid I'm guessing they'll aim for a console that's slightly more powerful than PS4 for $300 at release, or a handheld that's around 360/PS3 specs for $200 at release.

Neither option is a hybrid. as was said before, one option has two hardwares  and the other just a handheld, not to mention neither is a viable idea.

You are right that the next handheld should release for $199 with slightly better than ps360 hardware. The next home console, however, can't be slightly more powerfull than ps4 for as much as $299. a hardware slightly more powerfull than ps4 would cost $199 at launch in 2016/2017. The most probable option is a console considerably above ps4 costing $299 at launch. they will only use hardware at the same level as ps4 if there's something REALLY revolutionary about it.