By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Now that Satoru Iwata (RIP) has passed away, what do you think will change at Nintendo?

jamy30 said:
Hynad said:

Indeed. It's like opening the testament of your dead relative while you're at the cemetary to put him/her underground.

There's really nothing wrong in that.

Its not really though is it?  Firstly he's not a relative of ours, secondly we're not at a cemetary (we're online), and most importantly we're talking about how Nintendo will respect his wishes and direction, and how they can honour that, it's hardly disrespectful.

My original post stands, a lot of people like to get a bit self rightious when people they don't know die in order to make themselves feel morally superior :p meh

that is your opinion. i'm fine with it.  this is more on culture and tradition on grieving on certain people.  Nintendo itself won't post any social news for a day. 

I even asked myself who would be the next big boss, but that it is for me and a day of silence and respect won't hurt that much.

People think, we can move forward and everything is just part of life.  It is true, but there are people would still wanted to be on standstill and just remember what Iwata have done and his vision for the future.  I think he knew that Nintendo is in good hands, he really cared for the company and even he is sick, he didn't part ways and continue with it.

that is what i can say for now, all about Iwata.  For who is the next or what would be Nintendo's direction would be, we would have time to wait for a Nintendo direct or announcement for that matter.

Around the Network

Nintendo has a powerful board of directors, president Iwata is gone (RIP) but dont expect much change from their company wide ideology.

BMaker11 said:

They'll get with the times. Relationships with 3rd parties will become more abundant, they'll realize online gaming is a big part of consoles, and they may even put use a non-proprietary medium for their next console (as in, they'll use bluray)

Relationships with third parties are so poor because the Wii U sold poorly and the owners didn't buy the games. Online is already a huge part of Smash Bros ad Mario Kart 8, and the central selling point of Splatoon. Nintendo hasn't used proprietary media in their consoles since the N64. The Gamecube used Mini DVDs, Wii used DVDs, and Wii U uses blu rays. They can't play movies because that requires Nintendo to pay a fee on each unit sold. It's a cost saving measure.

So really, in these areas not much is going to change, because it was either not up to Iwata or not...for lack of a better word, true.

For those asking for this thread to be locked, it breaks no rules to my knowledge and therefore unless you convince the OP that it should be locked it will remain open. Continuing on this topic of discussion, however, instead of that the thread is meant for is decidedly against the rules and so I would advise against it.

The position of the mod team may change in the future, I don't speak for them all, but I personally am not going to lock a thread simply because you think its disrespectful when it breaks no rules. If you think it's disrespectful to have this discussion then just don't click on the thread, it's as simple as that.

gabzjmm23 said:
jamy30 said:

Its not really though is it?  Firstly he's not a relative of ours, secondly we're not at a cemetary (we're online), and most importantly we're talking about how Nintendo will respect his wishes and direction, and how they can honour that, it's hardly disrespectful.

My original post stands, a lot of people like to get a bit self rightious when people they don't know die in order to make themselves feel morally superior :p meh

that is your opinion. i'm fine with it.  this is more on culture and tradition on grieving on certain people.  Nintendo itself won't post any social news for a day. 

I even asked myself who would be the next big boss, but that it is for me and a day of silence and respect won't hurt that much.

People think, we can move forward and everything is just part of life.  It is true, but there are people would still wanted to be on standstill and just remember what Iwata have done and his vision for the future.  I think he knew that Nintendo is in good hands, he really cared for the company and even he is sick, he didn't part ways and continue with it.

that is what i can say for now, all about Iwata.  For who is the next or what would be Nintendo's direction would be, we would have time to wait for a Nintendo direct or announcement for that matter.

That's fair enough

Around the Network
nuckles87 said:
BMaker11 said:

They'll get with the times. Relationships with 3rd parties will become more abundant, they'll realize online gaming is a big part of consoles, and they may even put use a non-proprietary medium for their next console (as in, they'll use bluray)

Relationships with third parties are so poor because the Wii U sold poorly and the owners didn't buy the games. Online is already a huge part of Smash Bros ad Mario Kart 8, and the central selling point of Splatoon. Nintendo hasn't used proprietary media in their consoles since the N64. The Gamecube used Mini DVDs, Wii used DVDs, and Wii U uses blu rays. They can't play movies because that requires Nintendo to pay a fee on each unit sold. It's a cost saving measure.

So really, in these areas not much is going to change, because it was either not up to Iwata or not...for lack of a better word, true.

Third parties weren't around for the Wii, either. It wasn't getting the GTAs and Soul Caliburs and Batmans and Assassin's Creeds, for example. It wasn't even getting yearly sports games from EA and 2K. The CoD games were severely watered down. You can point to Just Dance, Carnival Games, and Sonic, but I mean....come on. This isn't the kinda support you use to bolster healthy 3rd party relationships.

And just because you can name a few games where online is a focus doesn't mean that Nintendo is vested in the online platform. PS2 had Final Fantasy XI, but you wouldn't consider the PS2 an "online console".

Lastly, they use Nintendo Optical Discs. They aren't Mini-DVDs, DVDs, or Blu rays. They are proprietary media. Nintendo consoles don't play movies not because they don't want to pay a fee, but because they said "enough people have devices that can play DVDs".

BMaker11 said:

Hynad said:

You should know better than to give any of Zero999's comments thoughts and attention. Let alone a reply.

I don't know who that is.

It's possible not much will change in the near future. Most of the higher up candidates probably shared the same mindset as Iwata. However, in an effort to lift Nintendo out of the downward trajectory in home consoles, I can see the new head consider drastic changes, an effort to return to a powerful console, and a greater attempt to reclaim third party

As a game dev of some 10 years, I personally admired Iwata's philosophy on game development, he really cared about the industry and tried to protect it as a whole. He was a developer, like myself, with similar passion for our craft. From a company perspective, I feel like Nintendo is much like Apple, very closed or introverted, and when they come up with a product, typically it is of the highest quality, regardless of whether sells well or not.

However, what has been clearly lacking at Nintendo in my view is the push towards better visuals, which implies better hardware with more muscle. This is really the only thing I would change at Nintendo, and I believe this is how to win back the 3rd party support. In my humble opinion, this was the #1 reason why most 'current' gen games simply could not be ported across all 3 platforms, as well sticking with a different cpu architecture.

I leave you with my favorite video of Mr.Iwata, a speech at GDC 2011.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcAHJHnvd9A&list=PL0E7E2B9DE840F797

rest in peace,

-M

spurgeonryan said:
guiduc said:

Well, talk about a lack of respect to his memory.

But as with any situation when a loved one dies, you always think about who or what they leave behind. What will happen, what next? To ignore it till tomorro w is to not respect his life, what he has done. We honor it by already getting to work on his legacy, making it better, improving upon it, showing the world that Nintendo is the same as it ihas always been.

This is not lack of respect. When is the cutoff for respect? I respet him by talking about him. Keeping his memory alive.

Agreed, I think it's jumping to conclusions to say you lack respect by asking natural questions of "What's next?" If it's too soon for some people to talk about this until a few days pass, that's fine for them. But it doesn't have to be that way for everyone. Some (like you) want to look towards the future and contemplate how to honor Iwata's memory with what can change at Nintendo while still retaining the magic he brought to the company. 

So yeah, I think it's ok to make a thread like this. People process grief or sadness in different ways. This is one of them. Just know you might not get many constructive comments on your thread until a few days/weeks pass. 

On topic, I don't care who they pick. I'd like them to find someone within the "family" who knows the ins and outs of Nintendo operation and keeping that charm and accessibility to all ages present, but also has a good understanding of online infrastructure so they can reach the more hardcore audiences again.

Either way, I think they'll be fine and the spirit of Nintendo will remain. Through the company and through its fans. 

It'll be awhile before I figure out how to do one of these. :P