By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Now that Satoru Iwata (RIP) has passed away, what do you think will change at Nintendo?

hatershavenorespect7 said:
BMaker11 said:

They'll get with the times. Relationships with 3rd parties will become more abundant, they'll realize online gaming is a big part of consoles, and they may even put use a non-proprietary medium for their next console (as in, they'll use bluray)

Can't you troll later? Nintendo is more than in line with the times. Relationships with third parties needs both sides to work but 3rd parties are unprofessional. It's beyond stupid saying nintendo doesn't think online gaming is a big part of their business. Using bluray would be no different than their current format.

P.S: rip Satoru Iwata.

Trolling?

3rd parties aren't being unprofessional. Nintendo keeps making weak consoles that don't allow devs to meet the vision of their games, then Nintendo fans turn around and complain that 3rd parties are ignoring them. It's lose-lose for them. Either they make a game that has severe deficiencies compared to PS4/XBOne or they just don't release the game at all. Either way, they'll catch flak, so obviously, they've taken the route that, at least, doesn't lose them money. It's not "unprofessional" to weigh the pros and cons of a situation and pick the option that has the most benefit to them.

It's not "beyond stupid" to think online gaming isn't a big part of their business. How much investment have they actually put into the Nintendo Network? Wasn't Iwata the one that said "customers don't want online games"?

And using blu-ray = having secondary functions = adding value to the console. Nintendo consoles still don't have a disc drive that will allow you to watch movies or listen to music. How is that "no different" than their current format.....which can't do any of that?

Pointing all that out isn't trolling.

Around the Network
BMaker11 said:
hatershavenorespect7 said:

Can't you troll later? Nintendo is more than in line with the times. Relationships with third parties needs both sides to work but 3rd parties are unprofessional. It's beyond stupid saying nintendo doesn't think online gaming is a big part of their business. Using bluray would be no different than their current format.

P.S: rip Satoru Iwata.

Trolling?

3rd parties aren't being unprofessional. Nintendo keeps making weak consoles that don't allow devs to meet the vision of their games, then Nintendo fans turn around and complain that 3rd parties are ignoring them. It's lose-lose for them. Either they make a game that has severe deficiencies compared to PS4/XBOne or they just don't release the game at all. Either way, they'll catch flak, so obviously, they've taken the route that, at least, doesn't lose them money. It's not "unprofessional" to weigh the pros and cons of a situation and pick the option that has the most benefit to them.

It's not "beyond stupid" to think online gaming isn't a big part of their business. How much investment have they actually put into the Nintendo Network? Wasn't Iwata the one that said "customers don't want online games"?

And using blu-ray = having secondary functions = adding value to the console. Nintendo consoles still don't have a disc drive that will allow you to watch movies or listen to music. How is that "no different" than their current format.....which can't do any of that?

Pointing all that out isn't trolling.

You should know better than to give any of Zero999's comments thoughts and attention. Let alone a reply.

I wanted him to step down, but not like this. Not like this.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

guiduc said:

Well, talk about a lack of respect to his memory.

I know. I can't believe it. On one hand, the person who launched this thread is in a faction aggressive to anyone who didn't think Splatoon would sell over 4 million copies before it even launched, and then, on the other, they are making threads like this about a beloved human being who we all learned passed away not even 14 hours ago.

Is their only interest in video games to shock and harass?

Truly awful.

This is what annoys me about our instant gratification culture.

Wait a day, for Christ sake.

Around the Network

You're all being incredibly self rightious... What's wrong with posing a question on if Nintendo will honour the direction he's taken the company in?

I for one am concerned that share holders will have more of a say then before. I hope someone like Iwata becomes president.

jamy30 said:

You're all being incredibly self rightious... What's wrong with posing a question on if Nintendo will honour the direction he's taken the company in?

I for one am concerned that share holders will have more of a say then before. I hope someone like Iwata becomes president.

Indeed. It's like opening the testament of your dead relative while you're at the cemetary to put him/her underground.

There's really nothing wrong in that.

Cubedramirez said:
This is what annoys me about our instant gratification culture.

Wait a day, for Christ sake.

I think Iwata would *want* people to talk about Nintendo's future now. It's essentially a case of talking about his legacy going forwards. He wouldn't want people dwelling sadly on his passing.

Mind you, I do think Spurgeonryan could have been a little more tactful than to be talking about Nintendo without Iwata being "better"... but the gist of the discussion is certainly something worth having now - what is Nintendo's path going forward, and how much of Iwata's legacy will be upheld?

Personally, I suspect that Iwata had already been delegating a lot of his work in the last year, anyway, with Iwata also knowing that he's not likely to survive too much longer (given his cancer), so I suspect that we're already seeing the "post-Iwata" Nintendo. I like to think that he set much of Nintendo's next few years in motion soon after learning of his cancer, in anticipation of this eventuality... and I trust in his guidance, even from beyond the grave. People can say what they want about the Wii U and 3DS, about Nintendo's direction in general, etc... but Iwata oversaw an incredible, vast variety of games of incredible quality, and just about anyone who has a Wii U will tell you just how great the games on it are. Iwata wanted to drive the industry in a positive direction, and whether it was financially excellent as with the Wii, or financially unsteady as with the Wii U, nobody can truly doubt that he drove the industry in a positive direction.

Hynad said:

You should know better than to give any of Zero999's comments thoughts and attention. Let alone a reply.

I don't know who that is.

Hynad said:
jamy30 said:

Indeed. It's like opening the testament of your dead relative while you're at the cemetary to put him/her underground.

There's really nothing wrong in that.

Its not really though is it?  Firstly he's not a relative of ours, secondly we're not at a cemetary (we're online), and most importantly we're talking about how Nintendo will respect his wishes and direction, and how they can honour that, it's hardly disrespectful.

My original post stands, a lot of people like to get a bit self rightious when people they don't know die in order to make themselves feel morally superior :p meh