By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - So I just played TLOU for the first time..

I played through the game, found it amazing. Still find it strange that GameSpot gave the game an 8/10.

Around the Network
HomokHarcos said:
I played through the game, found it amazing. Still find it strange that GameSpot gave the game an 8/10.

Because attention, that's why.

BraLoD said:
Eddie_Raja said:

I believe USA Today said TLoU was "The Citizen Kain monent of gaming."  It's hard to take me serious when I say this, but I completely agree.  Citizen Kain is so revered because it was really the first movie to be good by today's standards - no gimmicks, no BS - Just a good story with good acting.

The same is true for The Last of Us -  all of last generation games were trying to be "Cinimatic" and yet this usually came at the expense of gameplay.  TLoU finally managed to tell a story better than the grand majority of movies/TV and yet the gameplay was excellent.  MGS4 and Demon's Souls will always be my favorite games of all time, but objectively speaking TLoU of was the game of the generation.

Have you played Red Dead Redemption? Even though I also loved Metal Gear Solid 4, and specially Demon's Souls, it's the undisputed second place from last gen IMO.

I adore Rockstar's games, and imo RDR is the best game they have ever made to this day.  Objectively speaking I would probably put COD4 or RDR as second place.

-RDR because of its seamlessly open world MP

-COD4 because let's face it - it was the first good modern shooter.  Every single god damn game copied it.  It was soooo good, and it is sad lightning didn't strike twice at Infinity Ward (imo).

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

BraLoD said:
Eddie_Raja said:

I adore Rockstar's games, and imo RDR is the best game they have ever made to this day.  Objectively speaking I would probably put COD4 or RDR as second place.

-COD4 because let's face it - it was the first good modern shooter.  Every single god damn game copied it.  It was soooo good, and it is sad lightning didn't strike twice at Infinity Ward (imo).

Even without the MP, the SP experiece in RDR is short of none bar TLoU in last gen.

I loved hunting and treasure hunting as well, the story  was also good, great ending, some really amazing immersion.

Even the DLC was amazing. Undead Nightmare was a blast.

I seriously though it would be the GOTG, until TLoU came.

I don't many don't care about critical reviews, but these are the games that received a higher score than Red Dead Redemption and The Last of Us during the 7th generation (both got a 95).

Super Mario Galaxy
BioShock
Grand Theft Auto IV
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Mass Effect 2
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Batman: Arkham City
Grand Theft Auto V

BraLoD said:
Eddie_Raja said:

Even without the MP, the SP experiece in RDR is short of none bar TLoU in last gen.

I loved hunting and treasure hunting as well, the story  was also good, great ending, some really amazing immersion.

Even the DLC was amazing. Undead Nightmare was a blast.

I seriously though it would be the GOTG, until TLoU came.

Undead Nightmare is the gold standard in SP expansion packs.  $10 essentially got you a full game.  

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Around the Network

I had a similar experience. Took buying the game twice to finally finish it but it was totally worth it. This reminds me, I have to finish the Left Behind content. Last time I played, we were breaking car windows and trying on masks.

One of my fondest memories: my daughter was watching me play. Some guy was walking down the stairs and I said "We have to hide until he walks past.". Out of nowhere, Ellie pounces on the guy's back and killed him! I said " JESUS CHRIST, ELLIE!"

We laughed so hard!

Imnus said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
The praise is overblown for one reason. It's not innovative. Games like OOT, the reason they get so much praise is because they change AN ENTIRE INDUSTRY. This game was great, and I have no issue with the praise. But it shouldn't be put into OOT category because it didn't really change anything. It is more evolution than revolution.

BTW what was so revolutionary about Ocarina of Time? I don't seem to be able to remember anything in particular.

The z-targeting that got abandoned in every game near the end of the PS2 era.  Everything else Mario 64 did first.

When people say "its gameplay lacks, good movie" It just means you will get nearly the same experience watching someone play the game (like I did on Twitch day one) as you would if you played it.

best game ever with METAL GEAR SOLID 3 and PERSONA 4.