By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - So I just played TLOU for the first time..

pitzy272 said:
Xeon said:
I always love hearing how much people enjoyed TLOU. So many wonderful moments in that game. My wife wanted to watch me play through the entire game so she can experience it as well. I had to slow down here and there to accomodate her schedule, but it was worth it!

Ha nice. 

Just recently, I was was seeing this girl. She watched me play TLoU for about an hour or 2 and loved it (part in Ish's sewers to the part where--SPOILER!!!!!!--Sam and his brother die). We decided to stop seeing each other, then a few days later I get a text from her asking if she can watch me play through he beginning of TLoU haha. She was so engrossed in the story she wanted to see how it all started. 

Perfect!  I wish more games were like it.  That way,I don't have to put up with her crappy reality TV shows and just get her to watch me play games.  Most games I play, like rpgs, are too slow paced for her to watch.

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:
The praise is overblown for one reason. It's not innovative. Games like OOT, the reason they get so much praise is because they change AN ENTIRE INDUSTRY. This game was great, and I have no issue with the praise. But it shouldn't be put into OOT category because it didn't really change anything. It is more evolution than revolution.

That's so weird I literally have to force myself to finish OoT through the course of like three years for how boring I found it. There was nothing great in that game, all the clunky gameplay, the world, the music, the characters, the enemies design, the non-story all was mediocre to solid at best.

The weird thing is that I've always hated Turn-Based combat mechanics and always wanted an RPG with action game combat mechanics, OoT actually made me thought that maybe I was wrong, then Kingdom Hearts really make me think maybe all action RPGs have to be shitty for some reason.

Thankfully Demon's Souls and Dragon's Dogma finally showed that it can be done right, I think Witcher 3 was step backwards but still a good game, and Horizon seems it could be the first Action RPG that does everything great, let's wait and see.

BTW what was so revolutionary about Ocarina of Time? I don't seem to be able to remember anything in particular.

ArchangelMadzz said:

I owned a PS3 but never purchased it,

so 3 days ago i finally got TLOU:R on PS4, with is being the most awarded game in history I thought this better blow my mind, I came in with huge expectations...  AND IT DESTROYED THEM ALL.

Holy shit, what a fucking game, I know I'm late to the party but DAMN.

The gameplay was absolutely on point, I have no idea what people are talking about when they say 'it's a great movie, gameplay is lacking' the gameplay was fantastic, the controls were solid, the camera work was fantastic the stealth was great and felt awesome. The Ellie winter gameplay section was fantastic with Nolan North's character, the work with the bow and arrow actually had me more hyped for Horizon funny enough.

I'm completely with Joel at the end there's no way I would give Ellie up, although it would be for the better of humanity but Naughty Dog did a great job at making me feel Paternal for Ellie everytime someone was on her or attacking her I lost my shit and blew their face off.

10/10

EXACTLY.   My best friend doubted it could be that good, and I didn't blaim him.  A few hours in he messaged me to tell me the hype was 100% legit.

So few games live completely up to their name, and this one did.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Most people who have complained about the game on parts that doesn't make sense for a gamer who have played the game, probably didn't buy it at all. It's just downplaying the game because they don't have the platform and since they haven't played it, they judge it by a couple of videos off youtube or at all won't admit that they liked it or that they lie on purpose, Most of them probably even was looking for glitches and inperfection on purpose.. well, mention me one game that doesn't have inperfection or glitches? exactly

PSN: Opticstrike90
Steam: opticstrike90

Baryonyx said:
Most people who have complained about the game on parts that doesn't make sense for a gamer who have played the game, probably didn't buy it at all. It's just downplaying the game because they don't have the platform and since they haven't played it, they judge it by a couple of videos off youtube or at all won't admit that they liked it or that they lie on purpose, Most of them probably even was looking for glitches and inperfection on purpose.. well, mention me one game that doesn't have inperfection or glitches? exactly

TBH, it happens with people that have played the game too. I've the same threshed discussion with people that insist that most of what shown on The Last of Us E3 2012 Gameplay isn't in the game. There's only two things that aren't in the game from that Demo, the way Joels gets the bullets from that pistol and the crouch running which is actually in the game but only NPCs can do it for some strange reason.

Basically most people play in the lower difficulties which makes it very hard to pull out any of the amazing stuff on the Demo, partly because the enemies AI sucks at those difficulties and partly because the players sucks at playing and in lower difficulties there isn't any incentive to get better at it since you can brute furce through it, not to mention that if you're constantly making stupid mistakes Ellie's AI begins acting weird and erratically and rarely helps at all.

Don't believe me check out these videos that show some pretty cool stuff (There's way more but those are what I can find right now):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5es6u3PRxQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzA78iPkqW4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FyCdPigem8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAv0UxbtI-I

Around the Network
Baryonyx said:

If every game has glitches and imperfections then I guess those people complaining about them in LoU are completely justified instead of being some kind of trolls who probably didn't even play it.

Even ignoring the fact that issues bother people differently, there are plenty of issues to find in LoU. Whether they bothered you enough for you to care, that's your opinion and that's fine. I personally could not stand the invincible, immersion-breaking NPC's, shit enemy human AI, or the generic kill box level design. But I enjoyed the game anyway for its awesome setting and some of the incredible side/backstories. Gameplay wise though, the brutality was about the only thing I enjoyed about the game.

MP of course, was fantastic.

BraLoD said:
Eddie_Raja said:

EXACTLY.   My best friend doubted it could be that good, and I didn't blaim him.  A few hours in he messaged me to tell me the hype was 100% legit.

So few games live completely up to their name, and this one did.

TLoU made this stigma of a super hyped game being a letdown due to people hyping it too much turn to dust.

I also got to play it wanting to avoid expecting too much 'cause it just couldn't be that good, and yup, it was, even better.

It's a pretty damn nice feeling, getting cautious, then understanding the hype was real and then also getting the feel it should be even stronger, 'cause it was even better than how highly it was already being said.

Things like this are pretty rare, and to be honest TLoU was the strongest ever IMO, one in a lifetime experience.

I believe USA Today said TLoU was "The Citizen Kain monent of gaming."  It's hard to take me serious when I say this, but I completely agree.  Citizen Kain is so revered because it was really the first movie to be good by today's standards - no gimmicks, no BS - Just a good story with good acting.

The same is true for The Last of Us -  all of last generation games were trying to be "Cinimatic" and yet this usually came at the expense of gameplay.  TLoU finally managed to tell a story better than the grand majority of movies/TV and yet the gameplay was excellent.  MGS4 and Demon's Souls will always be my favorite games of all time, but objectively speaking TLoU of was the game of the generation.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Try the multiplayer if you haven't. It's top notch.

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

I need to jump back into this.. I felt it was slow at first.. and i got put off.. Everyone says it so great. I need to give it more time..

XBLive: cpg716     PSN ID: cpg716  Steam: Luv4Tech77

Predictions on 12/01/15 - Generation 8 Totals:

PS4: 85-95m
X1: 55-65m
WiiU: 20-30m

BraLoD said:
cpg716 said:
I need to jump back into this.. I felt it was slow at first.. and i got put off.. Everyone says it so great. I need to give it more time..

If you have it, do a favor to yourself and do it

I do .. I bought it digitially because of all the praise..    I promise I will play it again.. lol

XBLive: cpg716     PSN ID: cpg716  Steam: Luv4Tech77

Predictions on 12/01/15 - Generation 8 Totals:

PS4: 85-95m
X1: 55-65m
WiiU: 20-30m