By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Greatest Male Tennis Player of All Time?

Who is the greatest of all time?

Federer 159 66.53%

Nadal 15 6.28%

Djokovic 15 6.28%

Sampras 18 7.53%

Other 32 13.39%

Total:239

With Wimbledon's semi finals happening today, I figured I would throw this poll out here.

Just going to throw the 3 beasts that are still continuing in today's game and also throwing Pete's name in there as well.

Who would you guys consider the greatest of all time? It's such a hard comparison it would need to be looked at on so many levels.

Despite having a pretty lopsided record against Nadal (10 wins to 23 losses) I cannot go against Federer. 

He has the longest streak for weeks at #1, the most grand slam titles ever, is still ranked #2 as of right now at the age of 33, almost 34. The man is still a beast and I'm hoping he can get another grand slam before he finally gives it up.

Going back to the head to head argument it's tough to take away what Nadal has done to Federer, but Federer has accomplished so much. Nadal being plagued with injuries doesn't help the poor guy either. Federer continues to stay atop the pack while Nadal has been slipping as of recently. 

Either way, I have to give it to Federer but if people argued for Nadal I would not be one to argue either. Both players are insane, but Federer always has been my favorite.

Around the Network

Nadal is nowhere close to being one of the greatest ever. He is the best clay player of all time though, of that there is no doubt. Andre Agassi, John McEnroe, Björn Borg are all players that I would rank higher than Nadal or Djokovic and I wouldn't say Djokovic is even in the top ten of all time. Federer though, he is in another league all together :).

Federer is the best of all time, by quite a distance.

Puppyroach said:
Nadal is nowhere close to being one of the greatest ever. He is the best clay player of all time though, of that there is no doubt. Andre Agassi, John McEnroe, Björn Borg are all players that I would rank higher than Nadal or Djokovic and I wouldn't say Djokovic is even in the top ten of all time. Federer though, he is in another league all together :).

That's fair :)

There are so many arguments to be made for most of those players, though Federer in my opinion is essentially in a class of his own.

Rod Laver

Around the Network

echizen ryoma

Also, should the title be "Greatest male tennis player of all time"? Otherwise, I would like to throw in both Martina Navratilova, Steffi Graaf and Serena Williams :).

Puppyroach said:

Also, should the title be "Greatest male tennis player of all time"? Otherwise, I would like to throw in both Martina Navratilova, Steffi Graaf and Serena Williams :).

Woops! I'll edit that

Not to derail the thread, but this topic has made me realize I don't know the names of any famous male tennis players o.o I know a few of the female ones do to commercials they sometimes do, but not the guys

i've only been a tennis fan for about 5-10 years now so i'm a bit blind to the mens of old. ...but in these last 5-10 years no one is even close to federer. i'm going to miss watching him play when he retires.