By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japans PS3 Nightmare

Gballzack said:
FF13 won't sell bad, it just won't sell anywhere near what a FF game should and will probably doom Sony's relationship with Square-Enix. Not that it matters, most of everything they're making now-a-days is either a remake or crap.

the problem is, even if Final Fantasy sells as many as FF12, and every single person who buys it buys a new PS3, it STILL won't catch up to the Wii

One game can move a few consoles, but it takes a lot more than one game to move a large amount of them.

Final Fantasy 13 can prove, however, that even a huge game might fail if released on the PS3. Or it could prove that huge games if done well can succeed on the PS3 as well as they did on the PS2. but single-handedly win the console war for Sony, it won't. 

you need a large number of quality games to win the console war, and I don't think Sony's going to get enough 

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Around the Network
Name Console Publisher Japan America Others Total
Mario Kart: Double Dash Nintendo 0.89 3.85 1.86 6.60
Smash Bros Melee Nintendo 1.44 4.06 1.08 6.58
Super Mario Sunshine Nintendo 0.85 3.73 1.31 5.89
The Legend Of Zelda: Wind Waker Nintendo 0.86 2.44 1.05 4.35
Luigis Mansion Nintendo 0.42 2.21 0.72 3.35

3 million+ sellers for the GameCube.  You saying that FF13 can't become the top seller on the PS3 and do those kind of numbers as it stands right now?  It may not hit the 8 million of FFX but the 5 million of FFX-2 and FFXII looks doable especially with the PS3 install base being bigger next year when the game actually comes out, it'll still be profitable, there isn't really any competition for it on the PS3 yet.

DKII said:
Name Console Publisher Japan America Others Total
Mario Kart: Double Dash Nintendo 0.89 3.85 1.86 6.60
Smash Bros Melee Nintendo 1.44 4.06 1.08 6.58
Super Mario Sunshine Nintendo 0.85 3.73 1.31 5.89
The Legend Of Zelda: Wind Waker Nintendo 0.86 2.44 1.05 4.35
Luigis Mansion Nintendo 0.42 2.21 0.72 3.35

3 million+ sellers for the GameCube. You saying that FF13 can't become the top seller on the PS3 and do those kind of numbers as it stands right now? It may not hit the 8 million of FFX but the 5 million of FFX-2 and FFXII looks doable especially with the PS3 install base being bigger next year when the game actually comes out, it'll still be profitable, there isn't really any competition for it on the PS3 yet.

somehow I don't see how FFXIII could sell 5 million on a console with 10 million userbase (estimate) when FFXII only did 5 on a console with 100 million userbase. Especially when the PS3 costs $600, making the barrier of entry much higher.

unless the game is exceptional, but *shrug* I never really got final fantasy anyway.  If this game is just like all the other final fantasies, then I can see it performing incredibly disappointingly. And if FFXIII doesn't perform, then third parties will take notice.

Yes, but Sony is using the strategy of extreme hype to try and make this one sound like the best. No one in the states ever really gave two shits about Metal Gear Solid (MGS3 sales are testiment to that) but now because of Sony's hype machine, everyone is druling over MGS4 like its the only thing that could have ever been called a game. Hell they've only been hyping it for the last three years.

Gballzack said:
Yes, but Sony is using the strategy of extreme hype to try and make this one sound like the best. No one in the states ever really gave two shits about Metal Gear Solid (MGS3 sales are testiment to that) but now because of Sony's hype machine, everyone is druling over MGS4 like its the only thing that could have ever been called a game. Hell they've only been hyping it for the last three years.

if there's one thing Sony is good at, it's hype.

they might even deliver on that hype this time, since they have no say in the final product ;)

Around the Network

I'll the fact FF XIII might have a problem : FF XII. Many peoples (ok, including me) were highly disappointed by the game, and they might not wait for FF XIII that much (not to mention the imminent FF overdose : Tactics 2, Lionwar, III, Revenant Wing, Core Crisis, etc.) Just look at MGS sales. MGS1 was great, so MGS2 sold well. MGS2 was crap so MGS3 sold poorly (despite being way better than the 2).

robjoh said:
auroragb said:
robjoh said:
auroragb said:
a.l.e.x59 said:
If the Playstation 3 is a nightmare in Japan, than the Xbox 360 is armageddon.
Actually, no. the 360 is fine. the 360 is now selling better than the xb on a wk to wk basis at their respective period. That is MS's goal, to surpass themselves and prove that they are a viable publishing platform. With their high attach rate. Higher software sales wk to wk (without new releases) than PS3; they've demonstrated that they can be profitable to publish for. This is the main thing that publishers look at.

I would like to say that xbox360 is armageddon on all markets because they are still loosing to much money on it.

Actually, Sony lost more on PS3 than MS did on 360 last quarter

Doesn't mean much, they are still losing way to much money. I mean just that another company is losing more doesn't matter that much.

Ermm, yes it does, because the premise is that 360 is doing worse than PS3 (armageddon vs nightmare).  So, the fact that PS3 loses more money than 360 does matter. Especially since MS is a far more profitable company and relies less on VG revenue than Sony does.

auroragb said:
robjoh said:
auroragb said:
robjoh said:
auroragb said:
a.l.e.x59 said:
If the Playstation 3 is a nightmare in Japan, than the Xbox 360 is armageddon.
Actually, no. the 360 is fine. the 360 is now selling better than the xb on a wk to wk basis at their respective period. That is MS's goal, to surpass themselves and prove that they are a viable publishing platform. With their high attach rate. Higher software sales wk to wk (without new releases) than PS3; they've demonstrated that they can be profitable to publish for. This is the main thing that publishers look at.

I would like to say that xbox360 is armageddon on all markets because they are still loosing to much money on it.

Actually, Sony lost more on PS3 than MS did on 360 last quarter

Doesn't mean much, they are still losing way to much money. I mean just that another company is losing more doesn't matter that much.

Ermm, yes it does, because the premise is that 360 is doing worse than PS3 (armageddon vs nightmare).  So, the fact that PS3 loses more money than 360 does matter. Especially since MS is a far more profitable company and relies less on VG revenue than Sony does.

Ok ok you got a point, but I still think that is damaging for the industry having two of the three big making as much loss as they are doing.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

I have to agree that there is little to no chance of FFXIII selling 5 million on the PS3. When FFXIII comes out, if we are generous, the PS3 will have 10 million consoles on the market. Do you really think half of everyone who owns a PS3 is going to buy FFXIII? 1/3? 1/4? I would be surprised and impressed if 1/8th of the people who owned PS3s bought it. RPG games are a niche genre. Don't expect much chance of this game selling well as a PS3 exclusive. I'm saying there are only 3 things that can happen here. Any of them could happen. 1.) Ports to 360. 2.) Goes to PS3 as an exclusive, but poor sales drive SE out of Sony's camp permanently. This may happen along with: 3.) Sony offers benefits (such as paying for the game's advertisement, not that you would want Sony to advertise your game with how bad their's are) to keep it an exclusive.