By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japans PS3 Nightmare

larry said:
Dolla Dolla said:
larry said:
CameronHall1 said:
For the first time in Japan Ps3 has sold under 10,000 units with 8,872. what does sony needs to do to increase sells. maybe a pricecut and software will help us all

in june MONSTER KINGDOM and NINJA GAIDEN SIGMA would be released followed by MINNA GOLF 5 in JULY.

sales of ps3 hardware would increase a lot in june and also july.

MINNA GOLF 5 would sell atleast 250 000 copies and sell 40 k ps3s in its launch week.

however , the chart reveals that ps3 has beaten x360 4:1 last week and as always x360 is at the bottom of the list.

ps3's good times are just about to begin in june with Lair,MK,NGS.

I assume Monster Kingdom = Monster Hunter, the big selling franchise for the PSP that is having it's installment moved to the PS3, yes? Last I saw on IGN's release list, it wasn't coming until late in the year to Japan.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma is an unknown. There's no telling how it will do in Japan. Hot Shots Golf 5 comes in July, and that should do good, hopefully as good as Gundam Mosou. But Lair isn't coming out in June, it's been delayed. PS3's biggest hope is Hot Shots Golf right now for the summer.

And in June, the Trusty Bell bundle for the 360 will come out, and in all likelihood, the 360 will outsell the PS3 that week. 360 software still sells better in Japan than the PS3, which is disturbing.

trusty bell doesnt even feature in the FAMITSU LIST of top 100.

it is coming out the same week as MONSTER KINGDOM (folk souls).

MK is at no 6 on the Japanese most wanted list. mInna golf at no 9 now

MK might even see ps3 zip past wii during that week.

and you are talking about Eternal Sonata which is hated by all japanese.

what a dreamer???????

x360 beating ps3..........lol

joke of the millenium

I sense the return of hus...

Yeah, I finally have a sig.

Around the Network
unholygospel said:
Nintendo Won. Microsoft bitching about being second. Sony's dead.

Amen

lol, sony haters dreaming about ps3 failure. =))) that won`t happen, bots! =)) PS3 OWNS everything on Sony Gamer`s Day. =]P

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Sony's Gamer's Day was pretty sweet...it did kinda own.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Christopher_G2 said:

The 360 outselling the PS3 in Japan? No chance in hell my friend. There's a better chance of me having a threeway with Jennifer Lopez and Jessica Simpson. Think about it, it has to be embarassing for someone in Japan to go to that video game store, find a 360 in the back corner of the shop, and put it on that sales counter. The store workers probably assume anyone who does has something wrong with them. There's an anti-microsoft stigma that's so strong in Japan and it's not going to end. People probably ostracize their friends in Japan for buying 360s, and no I'm not exagerating. The PS3 might be overly costly and not have very many games, but there's not near the stigma there is with the 360. The PS3 isn't doing well right now, but in case you've been away the 360 always does conciderably worse.

The 360 is selling more software in Japan than the PS3 is *right now* and it has been for a few weeks.  His point is that this is the first step -- the PS3 may be selling 5,000 more units per week than the 360, but the 360 will slowly increase its sales overall and the PS3 has been rapidly decreasing in Japan.  

Around the Network
CrazzyMan said:
lol, sony haters dreaming about ps3 failure. =))) that won`t happen, bots! =)) PS3 OWNS everything on Sony Gamer`s Day. =]P

What bothers me is how extreme most of the views are. We are not even a year into this generation for Sony, and people are already declaring them dead. While on the other hand Crazzyman here predicts the currnet last place company to OWN everything. Why can't people say, Sony is most likely alright because of the power they wield and the franchises they will be bringing to the table, yet, they clearly have displayed a lack of early dominance showed in the last generation, and seems unlikely to see figures even close to it's predeccessor.

Views that stray far from that on either side are rather upsurd, they are the thoughts more of love and hatred then raw logic, and a level head observation of the current market status. While you can be a fanboy and be right, I just want to urge people to ground themselves a little more in the current situation. 

It's quite hard to call Sony dead, when Nintendo was in a worse position with the N64 and they're clearly doing fine now. And it' hards to pretend Sony will kick everyones butts when no one with sales as low as theirs came back to kick anyones butts. I don't mind a degree of optimism or pesimism, but some people are down right crazy(no pun intend...CrazzyMan)

In response to auroragb, I think Sony's problems with tools and SDKs have a lot to do with their development being spread out all over the world and lack of overall coordination.

For example, if SCEE or SCEA needs some low level OS changes done in order to fix the debugger, they need to ask SCEI nicely and hope they will do it. Sometimes SCEI will do it and sometimes they will not and blame security issues. (in my experience, SCE priortizes security in development kits far higher than actually being able to develop) I'm sure they're making the right call sometimes, but it seems to me they are shooting themselves in the foot a lot.

I hear that this summer there will be a tools update that will finally make SPU (you know, those 6 micro CPUs that is supposed to deliver all that supercomputer performance) debugging not suck. That will be super if it is true, but still it is almost 2 years late.

You wonder why PS3 titles get delayed?

fooflexible said:

What bothers me is how extreme most of the views are. We are not even a year into this generation for Sony, and people are already declaring them dead. While on the other hand Crazzyman here predicts the currnet last place company to OWN everything. Why can't people say, Sony is most likely alright because of the power they wield and the franchises they will be bringing to the table, yet, they clearly have displayed a lack of early dominance showed in the last generation, and seems unlikely to see figures even close to it's predeccessor.

Views that stray far from that on either side are rather upsurd, they are the thoughts more of love and hatred then raw logic, and a level head observation of the current market status. While you can be a fanboy and be right, I just want to urge people to ground themselves a little more in the current situation. 

It's quite hard to call Sony dead, when Nintendo was in a worse position with the N64 and they're clearly doing fine now. And it' hards to pretend Sony will kick everyones butts when no one with sales as low as theirs came back to kick anyones butts. I don't mind a degree of optimism or pesimism, but some people are down right crazy(no pun intend...CrazzyMan)

Well said. While I love to mock the PS3 a bit, I think it will be fine in the long run, as will Sony.

As it stands now, 2008 should be a damned good year for the PS3, assuming they don't lose any more exclusives. LittleBigPlanet, MGS4, and FFXIII will all be monster sellers next year.

It's just unfortunate for Sony that their lineup is lacking for 2007 while the 360's is so strong. But thus far, the 360s lineup in 2008 doesn't look spectacular at all (though there is still plenty of time). Most of their big franchises are blowing their wads this year, leaving not a lot left over for next.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

fooflexible said:

I try and look at things objectively. I don't like Sony but I try to be realistic about my predictions, and I predict the PS3 is on a downward course.

People have begun to compare the PS3 to the Gamecube and N64 in regards to its success in the marketplace. The difference between Sony, Nintendo, the PS3, the GC and N64 is that Nintendo made profits on the GC and N64. The way things are going, its questionable if Sony will make money off the PS3.

The machine is just too expensive for consumers and for developers. People generally don't care much about it. Gamers are only looking forward to a handful of PS3 games and even those games just don't have that much hype. There's more excitement on how game developers will use the Wii-mote in new and exciting ways.

If Sony made a cheap machine that was cheap and easy to develop for, they wouldn't be in this situation. But they seriously goofed with the Cell chip and the inclusion of Blu-Ray. High costs, lack of killer games... what else did anyone expect to happen?

And the game industry is a 'snowball industry' where your momentum or lack of momentum snowballs into greater momentum or greater non-momentum. The Wii hype is not relenting and will keep getting bigger. The PS3 hype started faltering in December and hasn't stopped. MGS, GT, GTA and FF13 are not gonna turn the tide. They are not. Not fanboy talk here, just being realistic man.

Think that's a good point that basically the PS3 is not doomed it will most likely not exit the console market it is a failure in the since that it likely will not sell 100-120 million consoles that its predessors did but overall I think you'd have to wait until at least 2009 before you could call the system down and out. I think the main problem with the system right now is that a lot of its potential early adopters are more interested in the Xbox360 lineup this year as opposed to the PS3 it also hasn't exactly been well recieved by the majority of the gaming community it seems. Also yeah a system like the Wii this christmas is going to be a lot easier for I think parents of kids probably 5-18 to swallow getting at 250 and even the xbox360 at 400 than the PS3 at 600 and no that doesn't say anything about the value you get from the PS3 its just the idea that for those gamers with the funding coming from their parents and they are going to be less concerned I think in the most part about all the extras you get as opposed to just the plain and simple price your paying for the current gen system. So basically for this year you've got the older gamers that don't like a system like the Wii possibly leaning more towards a system that has already given them Gears of War and will deliver Halo later on while the other portion of gamers are more leaning towards the Wii. In the end though all this means and all it should mean for PS3 owners or those that desire to own it is that it won't be the best selling system this year and may not have as many games this year but still has a lot of potential for down the road but then again so did a system like the dreamcast so put up with the bashing for now you've had the number one selling system with some of the best games for the last decade.