By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japans PS3 Nightmare

If the Playstation 3 is a nightmare in Japan, than the Xbox 360 is armageddon.

Around the Network

One interesting thing to note in Japan about the PS3 software sales compared to the Wii software sales is the fact that the third parties are doing better on the PS3 then the Wii. Namco, Sega, Bandai, EA and Koei have sold more per single title on the PS3 then the Wii. Koei have sold a healthy 288,000 units on the PS3 with 2 games. Bandai sold 284,000 units on the Wii which has a much larger userbase with 4 games. Sony haven't lost Japan yet, but at the moment there is very little software that peope really want to go out and buy. Hopefully by the year end there will be some killer games that sell the PS3. As I've said before certain game genres have sold better on the PS3 then the Wii. Mech games, PS3; Driving Games, PS3; Baseball, PS3; FPS, PS3; Mahjong, PS3; Horse Racing, PS3. Some people may be sniggering at the last two, but the last two shows that the PS3 is being bought by older gamers and that's important. Even though it's missing from the list, the Sonic game on the PS3 has done better then the Sonic game on the Wii. This Christmas will be make or break for the PS3 but I can see it doing well.

This is a bad month to be talking about Japan PS3 software, really bad.

It's no wonder Square is pushing Final Fantasy XIII back. The hardware sales in Japan are abysmall, but as others have pointed out, the PS3 is selling less than 20,000 games a month. That's amazingly bad. Final Fantasy is popular in the States, but it has consistently sold more copies in Japan than it has in the US. They can't afford to have that market simply vanish off their radar. By pushing the game back, I expect they're trying to figure out how to solve that problem.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

IIRC, the software attach ratio for the PS3 is something like 1.3 overall in Japan. And not to mention the quality of the 3rd party games has been significantly higher for the PS3 than the Wii in Japan. Let's see how Dragon Quest Swords and Gundam 0079 do for Wii in July.

Although technically they're both games in the first person view, so I still can't be completely sure how well they'll do overall. 

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Around the Network

I'm seriously blown away by how much money Square stands to lose if things don't change VERY dramatically. At the time of FF XII's release, PS2 software sales for an average week (at this time of year 1 or 2 years ago) were 40-50k, or 10x the current PS3 sales figures. That's absolutely ridiculous. No company could possibly afford to release a game with 15+ million dollar developmental costs under such conditions without enormous losses.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

You know what is the only solution Square has. Its UNSPEAKABLE! Its so crazy to even mention it, it would break the internet in half! But you all obviously know what Square's only solution is in regards to recovering the costs of developing FF13. And they have to do it. And it will completely kill Sony.

This is not a surprise to anyone who has followed Square from Final Fantasy I. Square tends to delay all of their stuff a couple years from their original estimate. Final Fantasy XII took many years to come out.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Koei have sold a healthy 288,000 units on the PS3 Are you aware that 270k from that number is from Gundam Musou, a game that was supposed to sell at least 500k? Check Namco-Bandai games for the Wii: Master of Festivals 90k Dragonball Z Sparking NEO Wii Bandai 122,789 2 One Piece: Unlimited Adventure Wii Bandai 64,897 3 Tamogotchi: Sparkling President Wii Bandai 49,438 4 SD Gundam: Scad Hammers Wii Bandai 47,270 One Piece is dissapointing, but that was their own fault because they didn´t had enough supply. The point is, all of those games are pretty small, their original expectations were probably between 50-100k. If the Gundam make they are releasing, or a future good RPG such as Tales doesn´t sell well, then you will have a point. Even though it's missing from the list, the Sonic game on the PS3 has done better then the Sonic game on the Wii Proof? And something people really are forgetting, is that in this gen the amount of copies are relative, because PS3 costs are far bigger than Wiis. Profitwise, the Wii wins, by far.

ramberk said:
You know what is the only solution Square has. Its UNSPEAKABLE! Its so crazy to even mention it, it would break the internet in half! But you all obviously know what Square's only solution is in regards to recovering the costs of developing FF13. And they have to do it. And it will completely kill Sony.

Yes they need to do it. If they dont they will pay for their lack of vision with their lack of profits. It would be a very smart business decision for them to do it.