By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will You Be Angry If NX Is Only Moderately More Powerful Than Wii U?

Wyrdness said:
JEMC said:

But if NX replaces the WiiU, it is fair to compare it to WiiU. And as someone who doesn't play on handhelds, that's the kind of comparison I'm going to make.

Not really because under the scenario the OP has put forward the new platform will have access to games you'd never get on console or Wii U for a matter, for a start a HD pokemon game which would be a massive jump over the previous games in the series, it's not just a jump for a single sector of the market it's a jump for multiple sides of it. Simply comparing it only to the Wii U solely would be a flawed way to look at the platform if it was a hybrid system as it's covering multiple angles, the competition in the console sector may be hot but as a portable the's only Vita standing in their way.

3DS for example gets games like Kingdom Hearts, Bravely Default, DQVII Remake,  MH Series, SMT IV etc... from third parties, these are games that would only ever hit a portable Nintendo platform for most part as they dominate that side of the market so a HD platform for follow ups to these is still very significant as I doubt anyone here would skip such games just because the platform is only marginally more powerful then the Wii U, all first party games would be on one platform as well.

Your argument has a weak point: I could already play Pokemon and those games you mention simply by buying a 3DS. But I haven't bought one not because I can't, but because I don't want to. I don't like Pokemon games and when I tried MH Tri on Wii and didn't enjoy it either.

Because of that, when NX launches the theoretical advantages of an hybrid console simply fade away and all I'll be left with is a new console that's barely more powerful than what I already have.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

I don't give a fuck about how powerful the next console is going to be.

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

JEMC said:

Your argument has a weak point: I could already play Pokemon and those games you mention simply by buying a 3DS. But I haven't bought one not because I can't, but because I don't want to. I don't like Pokemon games and when I tried MH Tri on Wii and didn't enjoy it either.

Because of that, when NX launches the theoretical advantages of an hybrid console simply fade away and all I'll be left with is a new console that's barely more powerful than what I already have.

Your post here has failed to highlight any weak point in fact it doesn't rebut any of what I said and only proves my point further as we're not talking about your own personal preference we're talking about the platform in general, I personally don't care about your tastes as it doesn't disprove what I said. You have to buy a 3DS to play Pokemon as Nintendo portables are the only way to have access to them so if NX has the next installment it'll also be the first console Pokemon game people have always called for and NX would be the only place to play it a long with any following game which would likely be a remake of an older game.

Whether you like the games or not is down to you and you alone but if you're arguing against my point your own personal preference is not a rebuttal because if you took the 3DS library and made the games full on HD and made them all available on Wii U as one library you still can't argue against how good a library that would be even with your own tastes as I guarantee the are loads of people who would enjoy such a library and not many people would pass on such a library. Even if people aren't ready to move on from the Wii U I assure after 2016 many will be ready to move on from the 3DS.

Wyrdness said:
JEMC said:

Your post here has failed to highlight any weak point in fact it doesn't rebut any of what I said and only proves my point further as we're not talking about your own personal preference we're talking about the platform in general, I personally don't care about your tastes as it doesn't disprove what I said. You have to buy a 3DS to play Pokemon as Nintendo portables are the only way to have access to them so if NX has the next installment it'll also be the first console Pokemon game people have always called for and NX would be the only place to play it a long with any following game which would likely be a remake of an older game.

Whether you like the games or not is down to you and you alone but if you're arguing against my point your own personal preference is not a rebuttal because if you took the 3DS library and made the games full on HD and made them all available on Wii U as one library you still can't argue against how good a library that would be even with your own tastes as I guarantee the are loads of people who would enjoy such a library and not many people would pass on such a library. Even if people aren't ready to move on from the Wii U I assure after 2016 many will be ready to move on from the 3DS.

The original point of our discussion is that NX can be an hybrid or a regular home console, but given that it will replace the WiiU, it's fair to compare it to WiiU.

Of course I understand that my tastes are mine and not everybody shares them (thank God!), and that if NX also replaces the 3DS it should also be compared to the handheld, but it should be clear that not everyone who owns a Nintendo handheld also owns a Nintendo home console and the opposite is also true, so for those people the comparison is WiiU vs NX or 3DS vs NX, not WiiU+3DS vs NX.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Not if the device is affordable and actually has compelling software.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Around the Network

i've given up on them ever having third party support so it really doesn't matter to me what they do system wise so long as they are able to make great games with it.

I can care less if Ninty makes a moderate leap forward, as I'm able to support multiple consoles to suit my all around taste.  Moar powa is great for bragging rights, and  saving some space to have one ultimate console, but not a big issue.

What angers me about Nintendo and the power/budget development decisions, is their arrogance to charge a full $60, as if their games are on par (NOT enjoyment level, strictly costs) with the likes of GTA, etc.  So Nintendo wants enjoys the luxurious perk of charging full price, but then will pump the brakes on specs yet again, and fall 2 gens behind!?  That is the big issue for me.

Under this premise, NX games should be no higher than $39.  Take a game I used to be interested in like Mario Maker, as soon as I found out it was $60 I flipped lol.  It should priced in the range of NES remix titles, maybe $10 more for retail, so $30 max.  Its this arrogance of Nintendo charging such a premium that irks me most. 

Nintendo mocked hipsters in splatoon (final boss), but they are exclusive, niche and charging as much as their far superior competition, which makes Ninty a douchey, arrogant, "hipster" company.

JEMC said:

The original point of our discussion is that NX can be an hybrid or a regular home console, but given that it will replace the WiiU, it's fair to compare it to WiiU.

Of course I understand that my tastes are mine and not everybody shares them (thank God!), and that if NX also replaces the 3DS it should also be compared to the handheld, but it should be clear that not everyone who owns a Nintendo handheld also owns a Nintendo home console and the opposite is also true, so for those people the comparison is WiiU vs NX or 3DS vs NX, not WiiU+3DS vs NX.

No the OP highlighted specifically it's a hybrid platform , a number of people have only read the thread title, for a hybrid system a sole comparison to the Wii U is flawed because it replaces the 3DS as well, I suggest you read the op again.

If someone only owns one platform it still doesn't negate the point as it's an even better deal as you still get more games in the library that you wouldn't have access to this is why trying to compare using that logic is deliberately trying to be narrow minded some what because as I said before you still haven't countered the point that if the Wii U and 3DS libraries were one it'd be one of the best libraries on any platform that few would complain about. You'd have all first party games in one place, all second party games in one place and to top it off because Nintendo's handhelds dominate the portable market especially in Japan you'd get more third party games then if it was just a console with more power because believe me the latter won't change much.

It would be pretty weird if it was, but it probably will be. I would not be buying the NX at launch, though. I'd wait a year to see if 3rd parties support it then.

Think about it. The Wii was basically a slightly more powerful Gamecube. The Wii U is a slightly more powerful PS3/360. If the NX is the way I think it will be, it will be a slightly more powerful Wii U, which is a slightly more powerful PS3.

So it would be another 7.5 gen console for a 9th gen system. Man, that's confusing.

Wyrdness said:
JEMC said:

No the OP highlighted specifically it's a hybrid platform , a number of people have only read the thread title, for a hybrid system a sole comparison to the Wii U is flawed because it replaces the 3DS as well, I suggest you read the op again.

If someone only owns one platform it still doesn't negate the point as it's an even better deal as you still get more games in the library that you wouldn't have access to this is why trying to compare using that logic is deliberately trying to be narrow minded some what because as I said before you still haven't countered the point that if the Wii U and 3DS libraries were one it'd be one of the best libraries on any platform that few would complain about. You'd have all first party games in one place, all second party games in one place and to top it off because Nintendo's handhelds dominate the portable market especially in Japan you'd get more third party games then if it was just a console with more power because believe me the latter won't change much.

I always read the OP before commenting.

What happens here is that you see the good side of it, 2 devices for the price of 1, while what I see is that the device won't surpass WiiU in power (btw, that's what the OP says unlike what he put in the title), relying again on a gimmick to sell it.

And that's another problem:  from the last four experiments the DS and Wii were huge successes, 3DS  did well despite its gimmick (I think the 3D screen did more harm than good) and WiiU has been a complete failure. And to make things worse, the experiment now also consists of mergin both the handheld and the home console into one single thing.

No, I'm not very confident about it.

And neither is Nintendo, which stated when they first talked about NX that it's not a successor for any of its consoles but another thing, which means that it's an experiment that if works will indeed replace them but that if it fails will be forgotten and replaced by actual successors for the 3DS and WiiU.