By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will You Be Angry If NX Is Only Moderately More Powerful Than Wii U?

Aerys said:
Anyway, i wont be angry since i have no more Wii U, i'll jsut think it's disgusting for those who still have one, give up like that to make an other console and forget your other buyers...

Says the Vita fan, a console that Sony only supported for a single year and is only surviving because some niche japanese games that nobody on the west outside these full of nerds forums cares about. Hilarious. 

Around the Network

Moderately more powerful than the Wii U is equivalent to the PS4. PS4 quality for next gen isn't too bad, arguably as long as we have enough Nintendo software to keep up happy *cough ZELDA cough*

Angry? No. Honestly, I'll buy it if it's a friggin Ouya in Nintendo packaging.

I don't think it can be successful, though. I'm just too addicted to Nintendo products. What we learned this generation, though, is that there aren't very many Nintendo addicts out there.

se7en7thre3 said:

I can care less if Ninty makes a moderate leap forward, as I'm able to support multiple consoles to suit my all around taste.  Moar powa is great for bragging rights, and  saving some space to have one ultimate console, but not a big issue.

What angers me about Nintendo and the power/budget development decisions, is their arrogance to charge a full $60, as if their games are on par (NOT enjoyment level, strictly costs) with the likes of GTA, etc.  So Nintendo wants enjoys the luxurious perk of charging full price, but then will pump the brakes on specs yet again, and fall 2 gens behind!?  That is the big issue for me.

Under this premise, NX games should be no higher than $39.  Take a game I used to be interested in like Mario Maker, as soon as I found out it was $60 I flipped lol.  It should priced in the range of NES remix titles, maybe $10 more for retail, so $30 max.  Its this arrogance of Nintendo charging such a premium that irks me most. 

Nintendo mocked hipsters in splatoon (final boss), but they are exclusive, niche and charging as much as their far superior competition, which makes Ninty a douchey, arrogant, "hipster" company.

Sory but I dont think Nintendo Wii U games (Pikmin 3, WW HD, Mario 3D, DKCTF, Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, Yoshi Wolly World...) fall 2 gens behind, they are very current gen and they are better games than majority of AAA big budget games from other developers.

As long as Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Splatoon, and so forth are still being made, I'll continue to buy Nintendo.

Around the Network
JEMC said:

I always read the OP before commenting.

What happens here is that you see the good side of it, 2 devices for the price of 1, while what I see is that the device won't surpass WiiU in power (btw, that's what the OP says unlike what he put in the title), relying again on a gimmick to sell it.

And that's another problem:  from the last four experiments the DS and Wii were huge successes, 3DS  did well despite its gimmick (I think the 3D screen did more harm than good) and WiiU has been a complete failure. And to make things worse, the experiment now also consists of mergin both the handheld and the home console into one single thing.

No, I'm not very confident about it.

And neither is Nintendo, which stated when they first talked about NX that it's not a successor for any of its consoles but another thing, which means that it's an experiment that if works will indeed replace them but that if it fails will be forgotten and replaced by actual successors for the 3DS and WiiU.

I suggest you read again as he doesn't say it won't surpass the Wii U but says it's in the same basic power range much like Wii is to GC which kind of highlights the way you're looking at things which tbh is in a narrow minded way of trying to see thing. Merging portable and console is a viable strategy to go for because one of Nintendo's main issues is spreading resources across two platforms, if you look at the output of Nintendo each year they've put out enough worth while games to beat out or match any publisher in quantity on top of quality the issue is that it's across two platforms so two separate libraries. The fortunate thing is that on the handheld side of things they've crushed the competition but on the console side of things they're out matched but two bigger companies, it doesn't help that portable games are now equivalent to developing a full on console game so what you see as an experiment is actually one of the only realistic ways Nintendo can end droughts on their platform and also enticed third parties on board more so then just building a me 2 console with more power that will get ignored regardless of power. 

No they didn't say it's not the successor of the 3DS and Wii U they said it's won't just be a simple replacement meaning it won't be the same thing only with more power its never been denied it's a replacement Nintendo are only avoiding saying what NX is replacing because it would impact sales of the current platforms.

You're free to not be confident about it but the main factor standing in their way here if it is a hybrid console won't be X1 or PS4 it would be Vita as the portable market is Nintendo's anchor and even if half of 3DS owners bought the NX that's still 3 times more sales then the Wii U and with Vita as their main competitor the odds are really good as Sony won't drop PS4 to create a Hybrid console anytime soon in fact it seems they've left Vita to its fate. One platform would also make marketing and all much easier as it's only one platform to focus on and Nintendo would have to push it hard being their only platform like how they did early on to turn the 3DS around.

EpicLight said:
Moderately more powerful than the Wii U is equivalent to the PS4. PS4 quality for next gen isn't too bad, arguably as long as we have enough Nintendo software to keep up happy *cough ZELDA cough*

No, not equivalent to the PS4. This scenario is assuming hardware far weaker than that, but with the ability to function as a portable in addition to as a console. 

Yes.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Not at all. Just put good software on it.

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

Of course I would be upset if NX wasn't significantly more powerful than Wii U.

In the event that the games released lack creativity and memorable gameplay, it is imperative that we are given something to remember them by. And although graphics may look dated in the future, they do serve as one the most convenient distractors (along with achievements and unreasonably high amounts of unlockable- and downloadable content) from an otherwise plain and unimpressive gaming experience.

Sony and Microsoft realizes this. They know what video game developers and consumers alike want, yet Nintendo for some reason does not seem to understand or care. Because of this I shall remain skeptic and keep my expectations low until Nintendo has proven that they have learned from their mistakes.

I'm not sure what to think, but I may very much like this post...