By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why are 3rd party exclusive deals suddenly a great thing now?

Why are they great?

BECAUSE PS4 HAS THEM, SUCKA!!!! 73 50.34%

They aren't, they just hurt the industry. 56 38.62%

I always loved them! 16 11.03%

Total:145
super6646 said:

You mean like last year? Exactly my point, show it one year earlier, and then forget about it. Microsoft's E3 was also a mess last year, but we're talking about this year. And why is it dismissed, because Sony dismissed it. They don't give a shit about it.

you are moving goal posts and saying ridiculous stuff now (@bolded). its getting annoying, stay at the topic at hand. 

Around the Network
super6646 said:
DerNebel said:

That has literally never been the case, now stop acting as if it has.

ROTR was announced at Gamescom 2014, not E3. I was unable to watch the rest of the conference, as I was flying back from Europe.

It wasn't. RoTR was announced at E3.

This is my thought:

Third parties exclusives are great if the title might not have exist without the agreement.

Example of positive third party exclusives:
Bayonetta 2, Street Fighter V, Journey, Sunset Overdrive

Third parties exclusives are horrible if they are just used to stop games from enjoying the game on their platform that were already in development. These are usually timed exclusives.

Examples of negative third party exclusives:
Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy 7 remake, exclusive DLC

Third party exclusives that only appear on one system, because the sales on competing platforms wouldn't justify development costs are also positive.

Example:
Guilty Gear Xrd, Persona 5

Sony is at Gamescom I think, they have floorspace and booths. It's the conference that isn't happening. Expect something cheeky the day before, like gameplay footage from the Nathan Drake collection or an announcement.

Quantum break hype all the way though :) can't wait to see what they've done over the past year.

PS, PS2, Gameboy Advance, PS3, PSP, PS4, Xbox One

bananaking21 said:
super6646 said:

You mean like last year? Exactly my point, show it one year earlier, and then forget about it. Microsoft's E3 was also a mess last year, but we're talking about this year. And why is it dismissed, because Sony dismissed it. They don't give a shit about it.

you are moving goal posts and saying ridiculous stuff now (@bolded). its getting annoying, stay at the topic at hand. 

You started the derailing of this topic with your post on the first page.

But I have noticed people care less about Sony doing it than MS.  Like the uproar with ROTR vs. No Man's Sky/SF5/FF7  etc.  Nowhere near as large from the MS side.  Sony side for fans when something does not go there way are ravage and a huge deal is made out of it.  

Around the Network

I would honestly prefer Sony or Microsoft the have the content over retailers what WB did with arkham knight is a joke.

Protendo said:

This is my thought:

Third parties exclusives are great if the title might not have exist without the agreement.

Example of positive third party exclusives:
Bayonetta 2, Street Fighter V, Journey, Sunset Overdrive

Third parties exclusives are horrible if they are just used to stop games from enjoying the game on their platform that were already in development. These are usually timed exclusives.

Examples of negative third party exclusives:
Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy 7 remake, exclusive DLC

Third party exclusives that only appear on one system, because the sales on competing platforms wouldn't justify development costs are also positive.

Example:
Guilty Gear Xrd, Persona 5

I agree, but that's why we use the term second party. It can get very hard to categorize some games this way though.

MS can do this and yes it's positive for the industry. E.G. Ryse, Sunset Overdrive.

Rise of the tomb raider, other timed exclusive crap, of any publisher/platform, is negative. They are 3rd party.

Bottom line, 1st and 2nd party exclusives are great!

PS, PS2, Gameboy Advance, PS3, PSP, PS4, Xbox One

Most 3rd party deals are only good for the companies involved and not the gamer as most of the time Sony/MS are just paying to delay game/DLC from getting to its rival (sometimes not at all - SFVI)

Both companies did it last gen, MS more because they had the market share. Some people complained. Both companies doing it this gen, Sony more because they have the market share. Some people complained. It's pretty much the same.

People complain about everything no matter what but what you should do super is not class xbox fans as one and PS fans as one. If you want to prove contradiction, you will have to show cases where the same person/website were against/for it but then change their mind when it worked against/for their favor. Or we can work with your logic, every time we see an xbox fan say something that's against what you believe we'll call them out for contradiction because surely you all think as one.

Sharpryno said:
bananaking21 said:

You started the derailing of this topic with your post on the first page.

But I have noticed people care less about Sony doing it than MS.  Like the uproar with ROTR vs. No Man's Sky/SF5/FF7  etc.  Nowhere near as large from the MS side.  Sony side for fans when something does not go there way are ravage and a huge deal is made out of it.  

i replied directly to a setence in his OP, then proceeded to discuss the main topic in other my following posts. he insisted on making this thread about E3, something i wasnt interested in. 

RTOR is a very very different case from No mans Sky and SF5. 

1- Rise of the tomb Raider was happening and coming to Xb1 either way. the reboot sold 8 million copies, and the game was well into development right after the reboot released. what MS did was stop it going to other platforms, MS didnt add anything to the XB1's library, it just stop games coming to other platforms. if MS didnt make the TB deal, the game would still have released this holiday on Xb1, but it would have released on PS4 and PC as well. 

2- No Mans Sky is, and always stated as a timed exclusive. the team that is making No Mans Sky is consisted of 5 people. yes, that much. its a no brainer that they would release it at one platform at a time. PS4 has the bigger install base, and in exchange for them releasing on PS4 first, they gave them Air time at E3 and PSX. Sony always stated that No Mans Sky was a timed exclusive, if Hello games wants to release it at XB1 they can. 

3- As said by the dev him self, there was no funds or man power for SF5 to happen any earlier than 2018. the game just wasnt going to happen anytime soon or maybe at all until Sony came in and funded and helped developed the project. now its releasing in early 2016. without Sony no version or SF5 would be releasing anytime soon, the same cant be said for Tomb Raider and Microsoft. 

FunFan said:
Aeolus451 said:

Fixed it for ya.

Wait, all those Resistance and Killzone games don't count, why? Seems like Sony, since the PS3, have ignored their own RPG series (such as Dark Cloud, Ark the Lad, Legend of Dragoon, Legaia etc) to invest in the dudebros.

Could you drop the the dudebro rhetoric? I didn't say that those games didn't count. The PS4 has the most diverse library out of the 3. FPS is popular in the west and sony is simply just trying to appeal to the gamers within that market. It's the logical way to gain a stronger foothold in that market. This gen is proof that sony is not sacrificing any genre for another.