By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

the part about where he says smash bros would of gotten nowhere if they didn't use nintendo characters is true, but his reasoning behind it is terribly wrong.

Around the Network

I like this game too, but it is not one of the best games of all time, just my opinion. I also feel like this game didn't necessarily replace Melee for me, I will probably go back to that game. Oh, and Final Smashes are cool but if you want to know how good a person is, all items must be off. Seriously, you can beat the ever-loving shit out of someone and then they can kill you with a Final Smash or item in like two seconds. Not cool. Would tournaments allow Smash Balls, God I hope not. And as for being a fighting game, I guess it is a fighting game but I consider it different from other fighting games, some other kind of genre I guess. Much more party/casual oriented with not as much focus on difficult/deep movesets.

I agree with this guy's review (although I can't judge on the technical aspects, since the last Smash Brothers I played was on the 64, and it will stay that way).

I have 0 interest in playing the game... to me it's vapid, boring, and fanservice of characters I got tired of 10 years ago. But, on the other hand, I love Soul Calibur games and plenty of people hate those.

To each their own.

leo-j said:
Thats a persons opinion, and you should not attack them.

Don't be silly. I can attack anyones opinion I want. Bear with me, I actually have something to say:

I read that whole crock of shit, and its just a round about way for a Nintendo-Hater(Michael Thomsen, as proven time and time again) to flame Brawl, without having to do it in the context of a traditional review.

If he did do it in the context of a traditional review, he would be flamed and marginalized as a fanboy by more than just those that know it to be fact.

Frankly, his assertion that Brawl "has laggy controls" and "is too childish because of the single player Master Hand theme" is asserting that the game was developed poorly from the inception, which is reduclious, yet still his opinion. Almost there, read on.

He's trying to tell us Brawl sucks, but he's disguising it with enough words and vocabluary to fool us into thinking he knows what he's talking about, and might have a point.

Well, frankly, big words and text don't scare me, and after reading that, I declare that its one of the biggest piles of bullshit on the internet, and I also contend that it probably is satirical. Last word:

It's satirical in that, either this guy is making a joke at the expense of modern bloggers, or he's absolutely insane, and the most freaked out exestentialist writer I've every had the displeasure of wading through.

...and that's my opinion.

Edit: Calling Nintendo characters in a game, a disturbing nod to an evil corporation? Man, this guy is on crack, lol. I read it again, seriously, some of the stuff in here is just freakin "out there." Crazzy couldn't make this shit up.

"But it's fun." This is the argument any conversation about Smash Bros. always returns to. What is fun about it? Is it simply the experience of being good at something? Is it the wonder of seeing all your favorite childhood toys in one centralized hub world, fully pliable and willing to supplicate to your whims? Is it the experience of playing against your friends in an absurd cartoon world where all the normal constraints of real life fade away in the charred path of Pikachu's lightning strike? Isn't it, instead a kind of mass hypnosis (all too common in the gaming world) where we mutually convince ourselves that the brand is the message; that the label we package the experience in is paramount? Playing Brawl is an uncomfortably empty experience. When I put down the Wii remote and nunchuk (yes, that's how I prefer to play) and walk away from the Wii, I feel like I've given more of myself than I received in return from the game. It doesn't matter, finally, whether I've won or lost because the game has provided me with nothing but distraction.

Read that 3 times. That's his final word. His summation. Seriously, that's a brain screw. Can someone paraphrase that and tell me what his summation even means. I mean, the topic of this post is "Brawl sucks" but I don't think he ever says that in there, he just says a lot of stuff that is so....christ, I don't even know what to make of that. Someone explain that paragraph too me. Does he mean that we've tricked ourselves into liking Brawl because it's fun, but since we don't know why, it's an empty experience, contrary to other, real games, which give us a much more fufilling experience? Wow, wtf, lol. Seriously?

Man, this article passes, cause its some of the weirdiest way I've ever seen for someone to passive-agressively flame a game, because they hate the company that made it, without having to actually pretend the game sucks. Freaky.

It's still mind-fuck bullshit at its core, but the guy know his mind-fuck bullshit if anyone does.

Supplicate our whims!? Holy fucking shit, lol. It's like some freaky sexual inuendo, for real.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

CDiablo said:
He is %100 right only marioboys bought SMBB.

Please don't recognize Crazzy by repeating the fanboy words he made up, ffs.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
Grey Acumen said:

And then the whole dichotomy thing, about it supposedly being both Too Easy and Too Hard at the same time. Yes, the concept is easy to pick up. MASTERING it is entirely different, and because of its simplicity, it is an nearly endless road of potential.
In order to just play the game, you only need to know, regular attack, special, shield, and then movement. In order to MASTER the game you have to understand timing, be able to predict opponents moves, recognize their attacks and how long those attacks can take to execute, understand your terrain, the speed, power, timing, and recovery of your own attacks, how much damage you can take before being in danger, how much damage other opponents can withstand before you will be able to knock them off the stage, as well as the direction they will travel depending on which attacks you use.
Those are just basic elements of strategy, many of which are far more limited, if they even exist at all, in other fighting games.

"In this model, quick and responsive attacks have simple and direct inputs, while attacks with longer attack animations require longer input sequences. This subconscious symmetry of input with the in-game result is completely lacking in Brawl. The side-effect is a sense of controller lag, in which players are left mashing buttons while nothing happens on screen because they're still stuck in the previous attack's animation"

Hmmm... Which would I like better? Learning long sequences of buttons to smash and in what order, and to mash the buttons as quickly as possible. Doing this all subconsciously without any real thought. Or learning to master the game as Grey Acumen has stated?

It seems weird to say this about SSBB, but both the article writer and Grey A. seem to be implying the same thing. Less conscious thought goes into most fighting games than in SSBB. Apparently SSBB is the the 'thinking man' fighting game.

Yet, the guy goes on to say "Playing Brawl is an uncomfortably empty experience."

So, thinking about strageties like Grey mentions gives him the willies, but 'longer input sequences' of button mashing, ahhh... an experience to savor.  Oh really?

Lastly, I suppose he is right about how poorer it would be as a game without the Nintendo characters in it.  On the other hand, take out NFL out of Madden Football, using made up players, or take James Bond out of Bond movies.  Wouldn't be as good for most buyers of that product. 

Torturing the numbers.  Hear them scream.

I only read part.

Complaint 1: Frame input. So, his complaint is he hits A 4 times and wants 4 reactions. That happens in brawl as much as it does other fighting game. It's called weak attacks. When complaining about in comparison to other fighting games, this is pants on head retarded.

When he argues the fun portion, seeing as that applies to every single video game since Pong, what the fuck kind of argument is that? This seems like a 17 year old freshman talking for the first time in Philosophy class, smug look on his face as he rattles off psuedo intellectualism a 6 year old could find holes in. Oddly, Leo-J did not. (Welcome back leo)

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

When I was 12 or so, I had memorized every single special move and fatality in Mortal Kombat 2 and 3, and even most of the friendships and some of the cheat codes. I was a walking encyclopedia of MK2 and 3 moves.

I am SOOO glad Smash Bros. became my favorite fighting game. Now I don't have to teach somebody 500 moves to play them. I can say "this is the hit button, that's the special move button, there are 4 per character depending on which direction you push, you can double jump and triple jump to stay in the ring, and you win by ring-outs, sumo style. Let's rock." That's how fast I can train a nub at Brawl. This game saved the fighting genre for me.

Yeah I got Mortal Kombat: Armageddon for the Wii, to have every MK character ever in one game, to like, say goodnight to the series, AND because you can use gestures for moves so I don't have to re-learn the billion combos I used to know. I'm not 12 anymore. I don't want to memorize that kind of bullshit anymore.

This guy seems to miss being a 12 year old dooshbag with ridiculous button combinations to memorize, and claims that Brawl is too fast and too slow at the same time. He's a dick.

Yeah, I'd say Smash Bros. is the thinking man's fighting game. The characters are more diverse, what with flying characters, rotating Pokemanz, Sonic, Olimar, all completely different gameplay styles. And you have to use you environment in the battle, which changes the gameplay too. It's like the Portal of fighting games.

Opinions can be wrong.

If an opinion is based off of lies, mistakes, and/or ignorance it is wrong... this is a major problem with our modern society. We respect the opinions of too many ignorant, evil, and/or careless people. Additionally, opinions can be wrong when contrary to the norm or healthy psychology.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Onyxmeth said:

I don't agree with the majority of what he's saying, but he's obviously someone who grew up with an arcade machine of Street Fighter II in front of his face and isn't taking the radical shift of fighting games lightly. This one paragraph speaks absolute truth however:

Smash Bros. famously began as a prototype for a generic martial arts game and it's tempting not to imagine what would have happened with the series if Nintendo had never agreed to let its mascots be used in the game. Would the fighting mechanics be as compelling if all of the same moves were tethered to a series of Bruce Lee clones? Would the Pavlovian outbursts of joy be the same if it was a ninja performing Link's spin attack? It's difficult to imagine that anyone would care. The disappointing truth of Smash Bros. Brawl is that of a game with unresponsive controls, a vapid narrative context, superficially titillating visuals, and a deeply disturbing nod to the corporate progenitor to which so many players associate their personal gaming experiences with.

It's hard to imagine anyone toting this fighting game as their favorite ever if Nintendo mascots weren't your playable characters. Without a shadow of a doubt, this would have been a nice bottom feeder fighter like Power Stone and would have been forgotten quickly. This is a game built off the strength of it's cast as opposed to the strength of it's gameplay. I'm not saying the game plays bad at all, because on the contrary I find it very fun the short amount of time I've played this series. It's just that, there's a reason no one cares about Power Stone and Small Arms but eat up Smash Bros. and Jump Superstars, and it ain't the gameplay.

You're...you're serious?  You're completely wrong. 

Smash Bros sells well because it's Nintendo, people know Nintendo.  But it's a great game because of its system.  It is the gameplay.

Small Arms is cool, but it's not that popular because of the gameplay, in my opinion.  I don't care about Small Arms' characters, no, but it is a good game.  But it's not refined, it's not polished.  It's a downloadable title though, so who cares.

I still can't believe you're serious.

Do you really think that all the Brawl owners have played Fire Emblem, and thus use Ike?  No, they use Ike because he kicks ass and takes names.  I bet there's people who haven't played Earthbound but use Ness or Lucas.  I love King Dedede in Brawl, and I haven't played a Kirby game in years.

Yeah the names help, but part of the fun is certainly seeing these franchises mix and beat the hell out of each other.  But you're mistaken if you think people love Smash just for that.  I don't have a fangasm seeing Snake beating the hell out of Sonic (ok, maybe a little), it's the fighting system that we love.   

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )