By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Smash Bros. sucks

Onyxmeth said:
Final Fan-I just don't want to get into a long and drawn out battle for something there is simply no right answer to. I believe the game is great, but also believe there are many people too hung up on the fan service and would genuinely not like the game if it didn't contain Nintendo mascots. I'll put it another way. If Smash Bros. played exactly like Street Fighter with long button memorization, two power bars and such, I still think it would be highly claimed as the best fighter from Nintendo fans, many of which would still say they don't like fighters but do like Smash Bros.

Gnizmo-A lot of what Smash Bros. contains comes from other fighters or has ended up in other fighters. I can understand not liking most fighting games and liking Smash, but there aren't enough differences in the design to discredit the whole genre but enjoy Smash. The platforming elements and general weapon insanity is in Power Stone, the button press and d-pad direction comes from AKI wrestling games, or maybe earlier. The thing Smash brought to the table is the innovative play on the ring out feature or king of the hill. While it's a great gameplay mechanic and is key to the strategic element of Smash, I don't believe it's enough to like only one game out of a genre that birthed it. If someone said the same thing about only liking Halo and no other FPS games, or Mario Galaxy and no other platforming action games, I would have the same reaction. My wife herself will only play a platformer if it has Mario or Donkey Kong in it. It's because she has a bias towards Mario and Donkey Kong that she can't get out of her head if she were to try another platformer.
Well, that's exactly where we disagree.  I guess there's no way to completely prove it one way or the other, though, except by making this into the huge discussion you want to avoid.  I'm sorry if I've been pushing this towards escalation.  I'm glad we are both being calm about the discussion, it's nice. 

[edit:  But if we DID have a huge discussion it WOULD be provable, to "beyond reasonable doubt" if not scientifically.]

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network

I certainly would not play Smash Bros. if it played like Street Fighter. I strongly dislike the style of the "technical fighters." If fanservice was all it took to get me into a technical fighter I would have been playing dozens of anime fighters, but because I much prefer the faster style of Brawlers instead I play Smash Bros. and Jump Ultimate Stars.

Trust me, it's not just the fan service...

My friends and I play SF2 sometimes, and it's enjoyable.

But Smash Bros. is four player, and that's something SF or most fighters don't have.

It's a simple thing, but tell me how many good fighters are 4 player? That already sets it apart. And the knockout system is much more friendly to new players than an HP system.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

this isnt english class.

Spork said:
this isnt english class.
You mean, "This isn't English class."

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Lafiel said:
I guess even Wii-fans are too frustrated to simply laugh this one off, what a shame, I thought at least the "winners" could be more relaxed.

The winners are relaxed.

Note to Sony fanboys: You have an inferiority complex.

Hey, it's not nice to call Lafiel a Sony fanboy.