By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

This wasn't just an opinion. It was a lengthy essay arguing points about fighting games and control methods in general. I am disputing his argument by arguing that only a nub would feel that way, and that he can't argue both sides at once in an attempt to cover both sides so that his argument is indisputable. He is a hypocrite who argued poorly, and a nub to boot!

Around the Network

Onyxmeth said:

I've noticed many people on this site proclaim that they don't like fighting games but love Smash Bros. and consider it one of the greatest games ever. They are the people he is speaking about in his article. It's hard to like a game in a given genre and not like the genre it was built from, unless your reasons for it have nothing to do with the the gameplay.

Hah. You're right, but still, part of what makes Smash so popular (that is, what made it accessible to so many people) is the fact that it doesn't play all that much like a traditional fighter. It's like saying I like Mario Kart (which I do) but I don't like racing games in general (which I don't) - part of the appeal are the Mario characters, of course, but for me, most of it lies in the unique gameplay that frankly was and is derived from the universe that the game is based on. Now with Smash, Nintendo made a decision to keep it simple and use only one set of attack comandos for all characters - Had they opted for specialized combos and other unititutive techniques, the game, and what people thought of it, would be a lot different today. It also says something that Smash remains popular in a time when fighting games in general are all but dead.

But yeah, I admit I probably wouldn't play it if it didn't have Nintendo characters in it.

Oh yeah, and Street Fighter vs Mortal Combat (gameplay vs gore)... Just saying.

I find it odd that someone would think that Smash Bros. could be 1/4 the game without the "Nintendo Branding" ...

A large portion of the enjoyment from the game (at least in my opinion) is from how crazy and unpredictable it is; a large portion of this comes from an attempt to put 20+ years of videogame references into a single game.

IGN Reviewers = Sony/PS3 frustrated fanboys

He is %100 right only marioboys bought SMBB.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

Around the Network

Come on, like you guys didn't expect someone to write an article like this? It's a game, much like anything else in life you either like something or you don't like something. Your degree of like or dislike all depends on your personal tastes. This guys tastes are different then mine and yours so let's just keep that in mind. However, I'm not sure how this insider stuff works. Where was this posted under? An editorial or...?

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

kasillas88 said:
*enters thread*
*original post is too long, skims down to see any funny responses*
*notices responses are the size of novels*
*quickly exits thread*

haaaaaaa

that was hilarious... me n u both :D

DarkNight_DS said:
  It's a game, much like anything else in life you either like something or you don't like something. Your degree of like or dislike all depends on your personal tastes.

Yeah but most of ppl thinks their opinions are standard. I mean its really annoying when you hear a guy talking about something thinking he is right and trying EVERYONE thinks like him. ie: John thinks red is the best color EVER and he tries to convince his friend Charles... what is my point? If you like something  you must not  try to make everybody like it.

Wow that is a long article, i almost fainted when I saw the length.

OT: Its a good game, don't know why anyone would hate it.

I'm back...

His mom sucks (as is Michael Thomsen, the author of this fantastic article)

Just kiss the tip.