By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Source: NX "Is Definitely Not Aiming To Compete With PS4 On Horsepower"

setsunatenshi said:
heavenharp said:

just give up, I'm right and you're wrong.

Clearly you presented the most thoughtful and persuasive argument for your points, how silly of me not to notice it :)

Don't worry, guy, it's an alt, it'll be gone shortly.

Around the Network
heavenharp said:
RealGamingExpert said:
MohammadBadir said:
Will they ever learn? I hope they don't flop again. If they do then there's a big chance they'd go mobile only or something :|

They won't win the gen with power either. The gamecube was a good example for that. Nintendo simply can't compete with the PS4 / Xbox One, even with the same amount of third party support. They need to go handheld only, or if they keep up their consoles, then they have to go for a lower price which also means weaker hardware. If it really does launch next year and is their next home console, then they can only achieve that by being weaker than the Xbox One. Makes a lot of sense to me and I think it's the right call.

lol if nintendo had the same amount of third party support, ps4 and x1 wouldn't stand a chance against wii u.

"They need to go handheld only"

no, they don't.

"If it really does launch next year and is their next home console, then they can only achieve that by being weaker than the Xbox One. Makes a lot of sense to me and I think it's the right call."

that makes no sense and is far from the right call.

Based on what? People buy nintendo consoles for Nintendo exclusives, yet not even 10M people own the Wii U. Third party support is nice, but it wouldn't win them the whole generation. Just look at the Wii. It was revolutionary, had third party support, and yet only outsold the PS3 and Xbox 360 by 20M.

Their next console won't have that bonus.

Nintendo simply doesn't have a good enough reputation under gamers for their next system to sell as much as the PS4. It's a long way to get there and they would need to market a lot. And not towards children obviously. Knowing Nintendo, this will never happen.

If you're interested in Nintendo content and understand german, maybe you want to take a look at my youtube channel! :)

https://www.youtube.com/user/RealGamingExpert

RealGamingExpert said:
heavenharp said:

lol if nintendo had the same amount of third party support, ps4 and x1 wouldn't stand a chance against wii u.

no, they don't.

"If it really does launch next year and is their next home console, then they can only achieve that by being weaker than the Xbox One. Makes a lot of sense to me and I think it's the right call."

Based on what? People buy nintendo consoles for Nintendo exclusives, yet not even 10M people own the Wii U. Third party support is nice, but it wouldn't win them the whole generation. Just look at the Wii. It was revolutionary, had third party support, and yet only outsold the PS3 and Xbox 360 by 20M.

Nintendo simply doesn't have a good enough reputation under gamers for their next system to sell as much as the PS4. It's a long way to get there and they would need to market a lot. And not towards children obviously. Knowing Nintendo, this will never happen.

lol I can't believe you're serious. The wii BARELY HAD THIRD PARTY SUPPORT.

you said nintendo couldn't compete EVEN WITH THE SAME 3RD PARTY SUPPORT and that's absolutely wrong. nintendo would be number 1 with the same support from 3rds as the others get.

heavenharp said:
RealGamingExpert said:
heavenharp said:

no, they don't.

lol I can't believe you're serious. The wii BARELY HAD THIRD PARTY SUPPORT.

you said nintendo couldn't compete EVEN WITH THE SAME 3RD PARTY SUPPORT and that's absolutely wrong. nintendo would be number 1 with the same support from 3rds as the others get.

10 years ago I think that would be true ... but today I dunno. I think Nintendo has allowed MS/Sony to consolidate their grip on core gamers too much, that it wouldn't be that simple. 

If I'm a PS4 owner who doesn't particularily care for Mario or Zelda, I'm not going to ditch my PSN account with my friends on it so I can play the same games on a Nintendo console. 

We knew it already. I they want to make an hybrid console, it won't be powerful. Barely more powerful than the Wii U surely...

Around the Network

If it's a portable, sure, okay, but if it's a console... gee, what a shame.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

I think most people now will assume any new Nintendo hardware is weak unless shown otherwise and Nintendo nowadays won't even give out performance information so even if Nintendo bought a reasonable AMD chipset to power their next console they will probably fail horribly regarding informing the end consumer about it that will probably damage it's chances anyway.

I think the success of the next console is down to their new gimmick they have come up with. How good is this gimmick though because they are keeping it under wraps so may not have done any consumer research on its appeal. It may end up like the wii u tablet as a huge failure. Their instincts were completely wrong last time.

Actually scratch that I don't think their instincts were wrong I think it was the implementation that was horrible. I still think a normal size controller with a small touch screen would have done well with decent battery life and analogue triggers and the money saved on that could have meant the wii u console was powerful enough to be at least cleanly more powerful than 360 and PS3 to get enhanced versions of their games rather than inferior versions. I think that console would surely have doubled the current sales number and at least been competitive with xbone even if the ps4 was still a runaway success. That wii u would have found it easier to do 720p 60fps games with anti-aliasing simply by perhaps using a couple of 64bit x86 cores at 1.8ghz and have the backwards compatibility ppc at 1.8ghz too, the gpu could have been around 500 gflops all in a 28nm fabrication package with thermal dynamics no worse than the current wii u at 45nm. This design would have spanned both the old generation and new generation for code compatibility.

LipeJJ said:
If it's a portable, sure, okay, but if it's a console... gee, what a shame.

It's basically both I think. We've reached a point now where a portable can power a decent level of graphics on a television if need be. Decent means decent though, not top of the line obviously.

bonzobanana said:
I think most people now will assume any new Nintendo hardware is weak unless shown otherwise and Nintendo nowadays won't even give out performance information so even if Nintendo bought a reasonable AMD chipset to power their next console they will probably fail horribly regarding informing the end consumer about it that will probably damage it's chances anyway.

I think the success of the next console is down to their new gimmick they have come up with. How good is this gimmick though because they are keeping it under wraps so may not have done any consumer research on its appeal. It may end up like the wii u tablet as a huge failure. Their instincts were completely wrong last time.

Actually scratch that I don't think their instincts were wrong I think it was the implementation that was horrible. I still think a normal size controller with a small touch screen would have done well with decent battery life and analogue triggers and the money saved on that could have meant the wii u console was powerful enough to be at least cleanly more powerful than 360 and PS3 to get enhanced versions of their games rather than inferior versions. I think that console would surely have doubled the current sales number and at least been competitive with xbone even if the ps4 was still a runaway success. That wii u would have found it easier to do 720p 60fps games with anti-aliasing simply by perhaps using a couple of 64bit x86 cores at 1.8ghz and have the backwards compatibility ppc at 1.8ghz too, the gpu could have been around 500 gflops all in a 28nm fabrication package with thermal dynamics no worse than the current wii u at 45nm. This design would have spanned both the old generation and new generation for code compatibility.

the wii u is "cleanly" more powerfull than ps360. the ports that are inferior are lazy ports.

The gpu is above 500 gflops already.

Even If I dont like it, an underpowered and cheap console is the way to go for nintendo, a 200-250 machine. but third parties? they arent gonna be there anyway.