By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Source: NX "Is Definitely Not Aiming To Compete With PS4 On Horsepower"

setsunatenshi said:
heavenharp said:

they ignore profits for bribery = unprofessional.

and please explain the companies that never released a single game on wii u but already had tons of games planned for ps4 and x1 before they even released.

i'm not quite sure if you're serious or seriously trolling.

1- "they ignore profits for bribery = unprofessional" could you elaborate what bribery are you speaking of? what profits are being ignored?

2- it's up to Nintendo to foster 3rd party relations and attempt to incentivize third party development. there's a long history with Nintendo and the way they treat 3rd parties... there's a history of how 3rd party releases are received by the nintendo audience too. when the trend in consoles is to adopt an X86 architecture to ease the development cycles and lower the costs of said development, Nintendo has no one but themselves to blame for how things turned out. They are not the big dog they used to be in the console market where they could dictate how the game was played. Those times have long passed since the SNES era.

the games profit but third parties don't release them because of bribery = ignoring profits.

it's up to third parties to do their job to get money, not ask for money before doing their job. and no arquiteture excuse will ever be good after the ps3 had support and ps360 kept having support during the 8th gen.

Around the Network
MohammadBadir said:
Will they ever learn? I hope they don't flop again. If they do then there's a big chance they'd go mobile only or something :|

They won't win the gen with power either. The gamecube was a good example for that. Nintendo simply can't compete with the PS4 / Xbox One, even with the same amount of third party support. They need to go handheld only, or if they keep up their consoles, then they have to go for a lower price which also means weaker hardware. If it really does launch next year and is their next home console, then they can only achieve that by being weaker than the Xbox One. Makes a lot of sense to me and I think it's the right call.

If you're interested in Nintendo content and understand german, maybe you want to take a look at my youtube channel! :)

https://www.youtube.com/user/RealGamingExpert

If this is true it means game over for Nintendo. RIP

It must surely be a handheld console if that's the case, or primarily one anyway. That would be nothing short of commercial suicide to not even match the other systems on the market right now...and it definitely wouldn't do anything for third parties.

I dunno, Nintendo have been making an awful lot of strange noises and decisions lately. Can't say that this report if it turns out to be true is filling me with much confidence, either.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Soundwave said:
JEMC said:
Soundwave said:

There's probably some large type of gimmick with the machine. Nintendo's own comments repeatedly state they want to "surprise" gamers and this is a "new concept".

Most people dismissed the news that Sharp would be making free-form shaped LCDs for Nintendo about a year ago as being some for QoL, but now I'm starting to think that is for the NX. Maybe it has an unconventionally shaped screen(s). 

Do I need to remind you that the same sources that talked about Nintendo using Sharp's free form displays also said that they would be donut shaped? Now, do you really think Nintendo would use that shape on a handheld or hybrid gaming device?

OT. The decision to purchase or not a console should be based on its price and games. And sure, if this rumor is true then it will have next to no support from the big publishers (nothing new for a Nintendo console), but it will have Nintendo in full force and the indie scene that so far seem to like how Nintendo works with them.

Who knows. Nintendo goes for crazy things, maybe a donught shaped screen would make sense once you see the overall concept. Though I don't recall anyone saying it *had* to be donught shaped. It could be any shape Nintendo wants. 

I'm sure if you told a Nintendo fan in 2004 that the next Nintendo controller would be a one handed device with only two buttons shaped like a wand, they wouldn't understand it either. 

and that didn't happen since wiimote and nunchuck are a set.

Around the Network
heavenharp said:
setsunatenshi said:

i'm not quite sure if you're serious or seriously trolling.

1- "they ignore profits for bribery = unprofessional" could you elaborate what bribery are you speaking of? what profits are being ignored?

2- it's up to Nintendo to foster 3rd party relations and attempt to incentivize third party development. there's a long history with Nintendo and the way they treat 3rd parties... there's a history of how 3rd party releases are received by the nintendo audience too. when the trend in consoles is to adopt an X86 architecture to ease the development cycles and lower the costs of said development, Nintendo has no one but themselves to blame for how things turned out. They are not the big dog they used to be in the console market where they could dictate how the game was played. Those times have long passed since the SNES era.

the games profit but third parties don't release them because of bribery = ignoring profits.

it's up to third parties to do their job to get money, not ask for money before doing their job. and no arquiteture excuse will ever be good after the ps3 had support and ps360 kept having support during the 8th gen.

Seriously stop using the word bribery, it clearly does not mean what you think it means.

Nintendo keeps putting out exotic hardware and expecting publishers to magically support it with no incentives or prespective of turning a profit. You bringing thr ps3 example only helps to further my point, Sony had very rough first few years due exactly to being an exotic machine to code for. That's why the 360 managed to put the breaks on the massive playstation domination of the previous 2 generations. Sony did have a few things going for the ps3 though, the machine was arguably the most powerful console, they have a hugely diverse audience since the ps1 days in which many of the playstation ecosystem symbols were actually 3rd party games (metal gear, final fantasy, etc). They also have many 1st and 2nd party teams constantly bringing new games each generation for a mostly teen to adult demographic (the ones with disposable income).

Lastly, both Sony and Microsoft decided for a long time to market their consoles as gaming powerhouses instead of the Nintendo approach to market theirs as a toy. This again contributes to the PG, vanilla image they carry today that appeals to a smaller and smaller market. The current situation of the wii u nowadays is the result of all this, it should be a surprise to no one the way things turned out.

Goodnightmoon said:

No

Because this console will be also a handheld, so it will get most of the third party support of the previous one (3ds), and it has the extra appealing of being a handheld, specially on Japan.

If this console gets stuff like Pokemon, Yoktai and Monster Hunter...  then NX just can´t flop.

that would be a good reason to why it wouldnt flop, it certainly could get great sales with that support it may not get the same third party support of the PS4/X1 like Battlefield, Fifa, Cod etc etc. but it would get a lot of japanese handheld third party support, but then again if the NX is a fusion console it will be blurrying the line between handheld and console games, so i guess we wouldnt be able to call games like Monster Hunter or Yokai Watch handheld games anymore.

RealGamingExpert said:
MohammadBadir said:
Will they ever learn? I hope they don't flop again. If they do then there's a big chance they'd go mobile only or something :|

They won't win the gen with power either. The gamecube was a good example for that. Nintendo simply can't compete with the PS4 / Xbox One, even with the same amount of third party support. They need to go handheld only, or if they keep up their consoles, then they have to go for a lower price which also means weaker hardware. If it really does launch next year and is their next home console, then they can only achieve that by being weaker than the Xbox One. Makes a lot of sense to me and I think it's the right call.

lol if nintendo had the same amount of third party support, ps4 and x1 wouldn't stand a chance against wii u.

"They need to go handheld only"

no, they don't.

"If it really does launch next year and is their next home console, then they can only achieve that by being weaker than the Xbox One. Makes a lot of sense to me and I think it's the right call."

that makes no sense and is far from the right call.

setsunatenshi said:
heavenharp said:

Seriously stop using the word bribery, it clearly does not mean what you think it means.

Nintendo keeps putting out exotic hardware and expecting publishers to magically support it with no incentives or prespective of turning a profit. You bringing thr ps3 example only helps to further my point, Sony had very rough first few years due exactly to being an exotic machine to code for. That's why the 360 managed to put the breaks on the massive playstation domination of the previous 2 generations. Sony did have a few things going for the ps3 though, the machine was arguably the most powerful console, they have a hugely diverse audience since the ps1 days in which many of the playstation ecosystem symbols were actually 3rd party games (metal gear, final fantasy, etc). They also have many 1st and 2nd party teams constantly bringing new games each generation for a mostly teen to adult demographic (the ones with disposable income).

Lastly, both Sony and Microsoft decided for a long time to market their consoles as gaming powerhouses instead of the Nintendo approach to market theirs as a toy. This again contributes to the PG, vanilla image they carry today that appeals to a smaller and smaller market. The current situation of the wii u nowadays is the result of all this, it should be a surprise to no one the way things turned out.

just give up, I'm right and you're wrong.

heavenharp said:
setsunatenshi said:

just give up, I'm right and you're wrong.

Clearly you presented the most thoughtful and persuasive argument for your points, how silly of me not to notice it :)