By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata didn't expect this massive succes for Splatoon.

And you?

Yes. 171 46.22%

No. 199 53.78%

Total:370
Qwark said:
No advertising people hardly know other games on WII U excist if they are not familiar Nintendo games

But there are other games on the Wii U that weren't advertised hardly any and still sold well (Captain Toad, Pikmin 3 and Hyrule Warriors come to mind).

Also, there are games that aren't necessarily familiar that have sold well (Lego City Undercover and now Splatoon, ZombiU to an extent).

Not to mention there are games that are very familiar that sold poorly, like Mario & Sonic at Sochi, Sonic Lost World, Wii Fit U, Game & Wario, etc.

Basically, it boils down to more than just "no competition." A lot of factors played into Splatoon's success, and I think that even if a game like Xenoblade X had launched within a month of it, we'd still see the same success it has found now.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Around the Network

I've been saying for a while that if Nintendo played their cards right they could have the next Mario Kart/SSB kind of title here. This was going on the feedback from just about everyone that had played the game at various gaming events during the last year. Thankfully Nintendo decided to play their cards right and decided to actually market the game. This franchise is going to be huge.

Just beat the single player mode last night. That might be the best/most fun final boss I have ever fought.
Perfect amount of challenge, length and insanity.

Not half you now pretending you expected 1m in 4 weeks.

I was expecting 1.5 LT, Japan is the biggest shock. There I expected it to bomb like W101, bayonetta etc. 200k LT

Qwark said:

Well let´s be honest to ourselves it had not much competition on WII U now did it, if the game released on PS4 (and wasn't made by Nintendo)  it would probably get trampled by Bloodborne, Witcher 3 and Pcars. Still it´s good to see a new Nintendo IP doing well.

Thats like expecting Batman to overshadow elderscrolls online lol. They're so vastly different and the above titles weren't even released that close together

Anyway I would co-opt the software draught argument but that didn't seem to help Pikmin 3 or wonderful 101. I'm sure Splatoon benefitted from the much larger and more active userbase Mario Kart and Smash provided, but I don't think we can take credit from what this game has achieved, especially in Japan where its just shitting on everything.

Around the Network
Qwark said:

Well let´s be honest to ourselves it had not much competition on WII U now did it, if the game released on PS4 (and wasn't made by Nintendo)  it would probably get trampled by Bloodborne, Witcher 3 and Pcars. Still it´s good to see a new Nintendo IP doing well.

I swaer we hear something similar like this everytime we geta game that sells huge for wiiu

teigaga said:

I was expecting 1.5 LT, Japan is the biggest shock. There I expected it to bomb like W101, bayonetta etc. 200k LT

Not disagreeing with anything your sayong except for the last sentence. 200k lifetime for splatoon still would of been huge. For reference vita only has i think 6-10 games that hit 200k. Not even 5% of japanese games hit 150k lifetime!u

tbone51 said:
Qwark said:

I swaer we hear something similar like this everytime we geta game that sells huge for wiiu

There are like two "huge" selling Wii U games a year. 

tbone51 said:
teigaga said:

Not disagreeing with anything your sayong except for the last sentence. 200k lifetime for splatoon still would of been huge. For reference vita only has i think 6-10 games that hit 200k. Not even 5% of japanese games hit 150k lifetime!u

yeah, I meant to say I wouldn't have expected anything as much as 200k LT :)

teigaga said:
tbone51 said:

yeah, I meant to say I wouldn't have expected anything as much as 200k LT :)

Np. Makes better sense ;)