By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata didn't expect this massive succes for Splatoon.

And you?

Yes. 171 46.22%

No. 199 53.78%

Total:370

As there are not many games to choose between I expected it to big with all the hype it was getting.

Around the Network

Maybe this will get Nintendo to do more new IPs knowing that it doesn't need to be an established franchise to sell.

i don't expect it to do that well. but i'm one of those who pre-ordered the game just after the demo. good game but hope Nintendo won't dictate the content and modes in the near future.

Yeah but it cost 40 bucks in many countries

I personally didn't think it would do this good either, but credit to Nintendo they actually TRIED to advertise this one, which is something a number of their other non-Mario or Zelda or Smash bros Wii U titles didn't really geet much of. Also the design team behind the game, aside from the genius concept of how it plays, the design of the characters, their world and how Miiverse can interact with it has no doubt has lead to the massive fan following it has received both in its native Japan and around the world.

Had this been a launch title or near the launch window, you have to think the Wii U might have been in a different position right now.

Around the Network

Hope you're paying attention, then Iwata. This is a good indication of what gamers want!

It'll be awhile before I figure out how to do one of these. :P 

Would you look at that? A game Nintendo bothered to promote and advertised ACTUALLY SOLD!!!

Seriously though Nintendo.... you need to advertise games and they will sell.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

This is great. I didn't think 1m in a month. I thought more 500k. But people saying Nintendo should take more risks with new IP's. When Code Name STEAM is dying in the background.

archer9234 said:

This is great. I didn't think 1m in a month. I thought more 500k. But people saying Nintendo should take more risks with new IP's. When Code Name STEAM is dying in the background.

But Codename STEAM needs to be accepted as something that will happen if they take these risks. In Splatoon Nintendo have a game that first, managed to shift at least a few systems, and second, could become a great money-spinner for them for years to come. If Nintendo get a Splatoon for every Codename STEAM they will certainly not mind.

99.9% of people didn't expect it. I guess it was a bunch of people saying, "I don't think it will sell well, but I'll pick it up.".

Can't wait for The Zelder Scrolls 3: Breath of The Wild Hunt!