By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will NX be an 8th generation console?

What gen will the Nintendo NX be a part of?

8th gen 71 25.45%

8.5th gen 100 35.84%

9th gen 108 38.71%

Total:279
Ka-pi96 said:
Edwardooo said:

They never have been two different home console by the same constructor in the same gen, and it will never be.

As I said in the OP, both the Atari 2600 and Atari 5200 were part of the 2nd gen, so yeah two different home consoles by the same constructor and in the same gen has already happened.

Huh, it was such a failure I didn't even know about this console.

Well, It's the exception which confirms the rule.

Around the Network

8.5th gen. Because it's releasing so early, in between the life of the current 8th gen consoles.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

9th gen because logic.

NX will be the console who ends this classification which is useless today. Almost every game now is played through an OS that will probably stay around for a lot longer than a generation or two, and Nintendo will finally join this.

Ka-pi96 said:
Edwardooo said:

They never have been two different home console by the same constructor in the same gen, and it will never be.

As I said in the OP, both the Atari 2600 and Atari 5200 were part of the 2nd gen, so yeah two different home consoles by the same constructor and in the same gen has already happened.

That's what I was thinking. If NX launches in 2016 and it's 2019-2020 before the PS5/XB2 come out, I'm going to have to change my answer (that would be another clear instance of a second 8th gen system). 

Honestly, if the NX is on par with 8th generation hardware, lumping it in with those consoles would clean up any confusion going forward - as Nintendo seems hell bent on using old hardware each gen. 

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Around the Network

Considering the likelihood that it won't be any more powerful than the PS4, and that it launches halfway through a console gen, I'd say 8.5 gen.

bet: lost

Edwardooo said:
Dr.Vita said:

8th gen - I know that a lot people won't accept this.
And a 8.5 gen or anything else doesn't exist.

It's a fact, Nintendo released his 8th gen home console, and 4-5 years later they will release their 9th home console. End of the story. The first Xbox lasted 4 years, the Gamecube 5 years, the SNES 5 years...It's a normal life for a console. The 7th gen was exceptionally long.

They released their console very very early in the 8th gen. 
By the time NX will release Xbox One and PS4 will be only 3 years old imo. NX will release in the middle of the 8th gen. 8th gen will be 6-7 years imo.

What??? Please inform yourself before you write this. 
Take a look at Sega consoles, Nintendo is becoming more and more like Sega.
Tbh, I think that Nintendo will be replaced by Apple or Amazon in the future....

Ka-pi96 said:
uran10 said:
Ka-pi... really? Its going to be a 9th gen console. 7th gen was abnormally long. most gens last 4-6 years.

Well that's kinda why I'm wondering. It's probably gonna cause issues about which gen is which sooner or later, so might as well talk about it now.

NX is likely to release 2016 right? 4 years after the Wii U. So that's 9th gen right?
I'd expect the next Sony/MS consoles to release 5-6 years after their last ones so 2018/2019. Also 9th gen right?

But what about after that? What if Nintendo wait 4 years again while Sony/MS wait 5-6 again?

2020: Nintendo (10th gen)

2024: Nintendo (11th gen) & Sony/MS (10th gen) Surely that's a problem, no?

Besides it's not just that the dates may end up out of line like that. The NX is most likely going to be actively competing against the PS4/Xbox One for longer than it is against their successors, so does it make more sense to compare its games/sales to PS4/Xbox One or to consoles that won't be released for a good few years after its own release?

Not really. Nintendo always wants to make the sytem on par with th preious gen. So if they want to be considered normal. Advance one gen to equal current accepted power. The only way to do is is release early all the time. Nintendo just caused a Doctor Who numbering problem.

we have talked about this before and really it doesn't matter what power it has, if it is a successor then it is the generation after so it means this one will be Nintendos 9th gen console

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Ka-pi96 said:
uran10 said:
Ka-pi... really? Its going to be a 9th gen console. 7th gen was abnormally long. most gens last 4-6 years.

Well that's kinda why I'm wondering. It's probably gonna cause issues about which gen is which sooner or later, so might as well talk about it now.

NX is likely to release 2016 right? 4 years after the Wii U. So that's 9th gen right?
I'd expect the next Sony/MS consoles to release 5-6 years after their last ones so 2018/2019. Also 9th gen right?

But what about after that? What if Nintendo wait 4 years again while Sony/MS wait 5-6 again?

2020: Nintendo (10th gen)

2024: Nintendo (11th gen) & Sony/MS (10th gen) Surely that's a problem, no?

Besides it's not just that the dates may end up out of line like that. The NX is most likely going to be actively competing against the PS4/Xbox One for longer than it is against their successors, so does it make more sense to compare its games/sales to PS4/Xbox One or to consoles that won't be released for a good few years after its own release?

I don't see it as a problem. Nintendo console generations are shorter, so I see no issue with Nintendo becoming a generation ahead of the twins. Even 2 generations. It just means that Nintendo generations are different from the twins. That's all.