By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will NX be an 8th generation console?

What gen will the Nintendo NX be a part of?

8th gen 71 25.45%

8.5th gen 100 35.84%

9th gen 108 38.71%

Total:279

Honestly the Wii was more or less just an upgraded GameCube. The visuals on its games are barely better than GameCube do I wouldn't even call that it's own generation.

Around the Network

9th gen, it's defined by time IMO. NX shouldn't be on the same sales graph as PS4, X1 & Wii U

9th gen console. a very early one that is.

9th gen. Early, but still definitely a 9th gen.

As much as Nintendo fans want to deny it, if the NX isn't more powerful than the PS4 we'll have to 'fess up that Nintendo missed a gen somewhere in there (the original Wii).

The $150 price tag rumors indicate that the NX may well be an 8th gen console, spec wise...

Then again, if the thing ends up outselling the PS4, and Nintendo continues to support it after the PS5 comes out, people may come to accept that graphics don't determine the generation.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Around the Network

8th gen - I know that a lot people won't accept this.
And a 8.5 gen or anything else doesn't exist.

It´ll be part of the 9th gen by definition. That´s not even debatable

Dr.Vita said:

8th gen - I know that a lot people won't accept this.
And a 8.5 gen or anything else doesn't exist.

It's a fact, Nintendo released his 8th gen home console, and 4-5 years later they will release their 9th home console. End of the story. The first Xbox lasted 4 years, the Gamecube 5 years, the SNES 5 years...It's a normal life for a console. The 7th gen was exceptionally long.

They never have been two different home console by the same constructor in the same gen, and it will never be.

9th gen.

Ka-pi96 said:

... a 2016 release... would be kind of awkward with the current generation system and as Pokoko said earlier makes it look very artificial.

That's because it is completely artificial. That being said, my brain likes to categorize gaming history into clean columns and rows as well. The NX looks like it's going to complicate things.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7