By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony launches crowdfunding platform

Pipedream24 said:
Hynad said:

To gauge interest. They're not asking people to cover their entire $5b R&D annual budget (lol).They're trying to make that invested money go where the market's interest is. Meaning they will end up investing in ideas that people are actually interested to buy, instead of wasting it all on stuff that never go passed the concept form.

Most companies already do this. It is called marketing research and they fund it themselves.

I think crowdfunding is more like, "if you guys really want this product, we need to gauge interest with actual money."

Just because people show interest doesn't mean they will spend money when the product hits the market.

My advice, avoid funding products from people/companies you have no faith in.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Normchacho said:
bunchanumbers said:
Normchacho said:
So...what is the downside here exactly?

Sony gets to see a bunch of new ideas for products and the public's' reaction to them before making any serious investment.
Sony employees get a chance to be more creative and possibly see one of their ideas become a real consumer product.
Everybody else (in Japan at least) gets the opportunity to see what these ideas are and can choose to help decide what ends up on the market, plus, assuming the funding is successful, you'd be one of the first people to get said product and get to say you helped make it happen.

On top of all that, it means Sony can show off products that otherwise might be seen as too risky to invest time and money in and let people decide if they want it or not.

Overall it means less risk for Sony, more freedom and opportunity for their employees, and more of a say in what kind of products the company offers for their customers.

The downside is that the consumer is footing the bill. This is great for sony.

The consumer foots the bill for every product they buy. That's how buying and selling works.

The only difference between this and pre-ordering something is that the product may not reach it's goal in which case it doesn't cost you anything.

The problem is the product does reach its goal but it gets delayed or outright cancelled. 

When you pre-order a game, you don't put money on the table until the game is in your hands; on crowd funded games, you put the money but you don't know if the game will reach your hands.

Nintendo and PC gamer

its kind of funny how up till now all i was hearing is that sony is about to go bankrupt and how they are doing so poorly that they need to sell all their buildings

and now miraculously sony is suddenly a successful multibillion dollar conglomerate lol

my thoughts on this are who cares, if you want to fund them go right ahead its your damn money

double post

osed125 said:
Normchacho said:
bunchanumbers said:
Normchacho said:

The downside is that the consumer is footing the bill. This is great for sony.

The consumer foots the bill for every product they buy. That's how buying and selling works.

The only difference between this and pre-ordering something is that the product may not reach it's goal in which case it doesn't cost you anything.

The problem is the product does reach its goal but it gets delayed or outright cancelled. 

When you pre-order a game, you don't put money on the table until the game is in your hands; on crowd funded games, you put the money but you don't know if the game will reach your hands.

Which may happen if you fund a game on kickstarter being made by a group of five guys in a basement. But this is a multi-billion dollar company running a program all on it's own. The terms are very simple. You back a product you are interested in, if that product reaches it's goal of X amount of dollars, that product gets made and the people who backed it get the product. If it fails to reach it's goal, the product doesn't go into production and nobody gets charged anything.

If anything your argument is against crowdfunding as a whole and your scenario is actually much more likely to happen with small crowdfunded projects than it is with programs like the one Sony has started.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Around the Network
AbbathTheGrim said:
onionberry said:
Hynad said:

You have labeled everyone here who's ok with it as zombies. 

You are continually flaming people on VGC when they don't see things your way.

what? it's my opinion about those who fund things for billionaire companies, not about those who disagree with my opinion at vgchartz. continually flaming? really? just wow, the internet is more dramatic than a relationship.

What I find really interesting in your opinion is that you seem to show disgust at the notion that people give away their money to big corporation to fund their projects.

Then you go and call that same people, who may possibly contribute, zombies.

So you seem to show both concern and disgust for the same people. If the people who support these companies are dumb zombies, and you think big companies don't deserve money. Then who are you appealing for in here? It would make more sense for you to wish them both to crash and burn because they deserve each other.

Well it's not like I hate them, but yeah that's my opinion about somebody who funds the development and research of a billionaire company. And not my opinion overall, my opinion about that specific subject. But, the internet is going to internet and be mad if I say what I think.

onionberry said:
AbbathTheGrim said:
onionberry said:
Hynad said:

You have labeled everyone here who's ok with it as zombies. 

You are continually flaming people on VGC when they don't see things your way.

what? it's my opinion about those who fund things for billionaire companies, not about those who disagree with my opinion at vgchartz. continually flaming? really? just wow, the internet is more dramatic than a relationship.

What I find really interesting in your opinion is that you seem to show disgust at the notion that people give away their money to big corporation to fund their projects.

So you seem to show both concern and disgust for the same people. If the people who support these companies are dumb zombies, and you think big companies don't deserve money. Then who are you appealing for in here? It would make more sense for you to wish them both to crash and burn because they deserve each other.

Well it's not like I hate them, but yeah that's my opinion about somebody who funds the development and research of a billionaire company. And not my opinion overall, my opinion about that specific subject. But, the internet is going to internet and be mad if I say what I think.

you do realize that buying Products from these multi billion dollar companies is funding them ? The product is allready made but youre telling them to keep doing that and go in that direction by buying it. 

What would people's views here be if these news was in regards to MS doing crowdfunding?

onionberry said:
AbbathTheGrim said:
onionberry said:
Hynad said:

The issue isn't your opinion, it's your lack of any argument to back it up. You just said Crowdfunding+big company=bad and haven't even bothered to argue against any of the people that disagree with you. you just keep repeating Crowdfunding+big company=bad, Crowdfunding+big company=bad.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Ruler said:
onionberry said:

you do realize that buying Products from these multi billion dollar companies is funding them ? The product is allready made but youre telling them to keep doing that and go in that direction by buying it. 

"the product is already made" I'm ok with that, I want to give them money and I want to support a company with a good product! 

I don't want to fund a product in development with risks of cancellation if you're a billionaire company with loyal costumers. just my personal opinion, not an universal law.