By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony launches crowdfunding platform

Pipedream24 said:
Hynad said:

To gauge interest. They're not asking people to cover their entire $5b R&D annual budget (lol).They're trying to make that invested money go where the market's interest is. Meaning they will end up investing in ideas that people are actually interested to buy, instead of wasting it all on stuff that never go passed the concept form.

Most companies already do this. It is called marketing research and they fund it themselves.

Marketing research is a very hit and miss science at best.

Around the Network
Hynad said:
vkaraujo said:

Welcome to the game industry, where consumers pay to be beta testers of F2P games, buy products months before they can actually know what they are buying and now, last but not least, fund multi millionaire companys for them.

And here's an other one who hasn't read the OP.

Care to explain?

vkaraujo said:
Hynad said:

And here's an other one who hasn't read the OP.

Care to explain?

This crowdfunding platform isn't meant for SCE's games.

sabvre42 said:
ihatefatkatz said:
In my opinion, Sony has to err on the side of caution with the crowdfunding stuff. I have no problem with what they are doing now with these small ventures. It seems pretty harmless.

But it might set a precedent for other large companies (particularly in this greedy industry) to use crowdfunding as a financial buffer for larger projects. It will be a real low for the industry, when you see Ubisoft going to kickstarter to fund Beyond Good and Evil and other titles.

Large companies should have the knowledge and resources to weigh up risk and reward, and it comes off greedy (well at least to me) if you are asking the consumer to bare the weight.

That's my take on the situation.

But honestly, what is wrong with using crowdfunding to create consumer products. 

Innovation is often held back by the fact that projects are hard to gauge true interest for. Even if they get kicked off -- its truly hard to assign a correct budget to a project -- and crowdfunding drasticaly helps this.

It doesn't hurt that you can often relay a cheaper product for the contributor and therefore have a benefit for both parties.

At the moment, I don't see anything particular wrong with what sony is doing. But I can see the potential of other companies with greedy intentions that may take advantage of consumers and the crowdfunding platform 

I just think Sony is setting a dangerous precedent for other companies to follow 

onionberry said:
crowdfunding for big companies is stupid as fuck and shame on you if you support that specific idea, there, I said it.

I agree.

Around the Network
bunchanumbers said:
Normchacho said:
So...what is the downside here exactly?

Sony gets to see a bunch of new ideas for products and the public's' reaction to them before making any serious investment.
Sony employees get a chance to be more creative and possibly see one of their ideas become a real consumer product.
Everybody else (in Japan at least) gets the opportunity to see what these ideas are and can choose to help decide what ends up on the market, plus, assuming the funding is successful, you'd be one of the first people to get said product and get to say you helped make it happen.

On top of all that, it means Sony can show off products that otherwise might be seen as too risky to invest time and money in and let people decide if they want it or not.

Overall it means less risk for Sony, more freedom and opportunity for their employees, and more of a say in what kind of products the company offers for their customers.

The downside is that the consumer is footing the bill. This is great for sony.

The consumer foots the bill for every product they buy. That's how buying and selling works.

The only difference between this and pre-ordering something is that the product may not reach it's goal in which case it doesn't cost you anything.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Oh, and ignoring the crowd-funding aspect of this for a moment...I WANT THAT WATCH!!! As somebody who really likes watches, I really, really, really, want that sweet ass watch.

I'd spend my own money on that remote aswell.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Not a particular fan of the idea, I get the point, but I feel that this can lead to some pretty messed up stuff before we get good legislation in the field. Though other companies have essentially done similar things before just in a more roundabout way by buying out kickstarted projects.

onionberry said:
Hynad said:

You have labeled everyone here who's ok with it as zombies. 

You are continually flaming people on VGC when they don't see things your way.

what? it's my opinion about those who fund things for billionaire companies, not about those who disagree with my opinion at vgchartz. continually flaming? really? just wow, the internet is more dramatic than a relationship.

What I find really interesting in your opinion is that you seem to show disgust at the notion that people give away their money to big corporation to fund their projects.

Then you go and call that same people, who may possibly contribute, zombies.

So you seem to show both concern and disgust for the same people. If the people who support these companies are dumb zombies, and you think big companies don't deserve money. Then who are you appealing for in here? It would make more sense for you to wish them both to crash and burn because they deserve each other.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

onionberry said:
crowdfunding for big companies is stupid as fuck and shame on you if you support that specific idea, there, I said it.

no its not. In big companies employees always come up with experental ideas and try them out in their work place but dont get aproval in the end. The same products who wouldnt be released at all have now a platform and let the consumer directley decide for a second chance.

The PlayStation was one of the experienental ideas which alsmost didnt happened, it was Ken Kuteragi who designed a sound chip in his free time for the Famicon which let to Sony making the sound chip later on for the SNES and that lead to the PlayStation deal with Nintendo. Before that Sony didnt want to have anything to do with Videogames at all.

Its great that Sony is making making its own platform like Kickstarter to have some transperacy for the consumer and let them get involved in making something possible that otherwise wouldnt have happened. Games like Alundra 3 or Legen of Dragoon 2 could maybe be also funded that way in the future i am hoping.

they should also ad third parties and integrate their First Flight platform into the Playstation store and other Sony platforms. Its not Sony bagging for Money but realizing that Crowdfunding is the future, defeniatley looking forward to this.