By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony launches crowdfunding platform

bunchanumbers said:
sabvre42 said:
bunchanumbers said:

I have to agree. I think that a giant multibillion dollar conglomerate starting a crowd funding platform for their own devices is really shameful.

Why? Seriously -- Why?

What is wrong with a company using a system to determine interest in a product in exchange for guaranteed access to that product? They aren't asking for charity... you get a product in exchange. In contract law the money: product is considered valid consideration.

So again -- Why? Whats wrong with this?

You're asking what is wrong with giving a multibillion dollar conglomerate money for crowd funding ideas? You don't think its odd that a company worth billions is asking you for your money so they can take risks on products that may ultimately fail? There will be next to no risk for the company but all the risk for you. You don't think that this concept is a little off? Its not like its some garage inventor looking for help for some wild dream. This is a conglomerate worth more than you will ever be asking you for your money on a concept. The entire concept is shameful.

This. I agree 100%.

Around the Network
sabvre42 said:

Funny thing is I bet you are the same person that calls pharmaceutical companies evil for not funding cures for diseases with limited field use. To explain further, they cannot justify funding the R&D themselves because there is no guarantee that it will pay out.

Well... There's certainly a lot of things wrong ethically when you look into pharmaceutical companies... But that's an entirely different topic to discuss. 

Current gaming platforms - Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U, New 3DS, PC

Hynad said:
onionberry said:

it's just stupid, billionaire companies and crowdfunding, that's a reasonable reason to say what I said. But ok, I understand this era of zombies.

It's not stupid. In this day and age, where projects cost millions upon millions to create, a crowdfunding campaign can be used to gauge potential interest, which in turn allow companies to see if an item is worth spending on or not. Surely, you haven't lived under a rock the last few years and saw many companies going under because of failed projects... 

But sure, go on and flame people by calling them zombies. That should get you far.

not my problem, I'm not a shareholder nor an investor. Funding a product for a multimillionaire company, just wow. Again, zombies are ok with that, I'm a Nintendo fan but I'm not going to fund their next gimmick or their next zelda.

Moderated for this post, and others - Miguel_Zorro

sabvre42 said:
onionberry said:
sabvre42 said:

So your reasons are:
1.) Its stupid
2.) Billionare companies
3.) Crowdfunding

Mind putting those 3 items into an actual reason rather that has some defensible rationale? For all intents and purposes, they are offering access to a product on a "if x interest is generated you all get... if not ... no one gets charged" basis.

As I said in my last post, they are doing everything correctly within the Universal Code of Commerce and Contract law. They are offering a good or service in exchange for legal tender (consideration). What is wrong with this?

if you feel good about it then good for you, next time you'll fund the next walkman so be happy.
i

You still haven't given actual justification for your statements.

All I'm gathering from your posts is: Big company bad... big company must spend money on projects that it knows will sell (like CoD)... but big company also bad for only selling projects that it knows will sell.

I'm not saying that big companies are bad wtf, I'm saying "hey, consumers should not fund anything for billionaire companies" easy as that, you don't need any scientific maths to see the point. But if you feel good about it then be happy and don't worry.

sabvre42 said:
bunchanumbers said:

I have to agree. I think that a giant multibillion dollar conglomerate starting a crowd funding platform for their own devices is really shameful.

Why? Seriously -- Why?

What is wrong with a company using a system to determine interest in a product in exchange for guaranteed access to that product? They aren't asking for charity... you get a product in exchange. In contract law the money: product is considered valid consideration.

They are offloading all the risk onto the consumer.  You are paying the R&D costs.

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

Around the Network
onionberry said:

I'm not saying that big companies are bad wtf, I'm saying "hey, consumers should not fund anything for billionaire companies" easy as that, you don't need any scientific maths to see the point. But if you feel about it then be happy and don't worry.

So I was right on my very first reply to you. Glad you agree.

JOKA_ said:
sabvre42 said:

Why? Seriously -- Why?

They are offloading all the risk onto the consumer.  You are paying the R&D costs.

Do you really believe that? xD

I can't  believe people actually think this is a good idea. Do people not understand they are giving money to a company and providing them the opportunity to generate revenue with absolutely no risk? I am all for supporting companies that provide great products but there is no way in hell I am funding their R&D so they can turn a profit. Absolutely ridiculous.

Funny thing is I bet you are the same person that calls pharmaceutical companies evil for not funding cures for diseases with limited field use. To explain further, they cannot justify funding the R&D themselves because there is no guarantee that it will payout

You shouldn't assume anything...as the old saying goes, you make an ass out of u & me ;) I have been an entrepreneur for the better half of my life. I have had some great successes and some miserable failures. That's the risk of doing business. There already is a form of crowdfunding that provides individuals with a potential return on investment, not a product. It's called the stock market.

So...what is the downside here exactly?

Sony gets to see a bunch of new ideas for products and the public's' reaction to them before making any serious investment.
Sony employees get a chance to be more creative and possibly see one of their ideas become a real consumer product.
Everybody else (in Japan at least) gets the opportunity to see what these ideas are and can choose to help decide what ends up on the market, plus, assuming the funding is successful, you'd be one of the first people to get said product and get to say you helped make it happen.

On top of all that, it means Sony can show off products that otherwise might be seen as too risky to invest time and money in and let people decide if they want it or not.

Overall it means less risk for Sony, more freedom and opportunity for their employees, and more of a say in what kind of products the company offers for their customers.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Hynad said:
JOKA_ said:

Do you really believe that? xD

uhhh....yes.  Sony has the money to do research and development for these products.....but instead they are asking for the consumers to put the cash up first

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League