By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony launches crowdfunding platform

Normchacho said:
osed125 said:

Being a multi-million dollar company doesn't mean anything, take a look at the massive failures of Steam's Early Access games (which is a similar concept to crowd funding).

A lot of crap comes and goes to all game store services (Steam, Xbox Live, PSN, Eshop), there's very little quality control in all of them, I don't see why a crowd fund service will be different. 

At the end of day, Sony (or any other company for that matter) cares about the money more than anything else, if the 5 guy dev team in the basement pays their percentage to Sony, but screws the customer, they most likely won't care; it was what the customers "wanted".

You seem to misunderstand the nature of this program. This isn't a crowdfunding hosted by Sony that allows outside groups to ask for money. Every project up for funding is started by a Sony employee and if a product reaches it's goal it's Sony themselves that make, and distribute it.

If that's the case, I'm still not a fan of the crowd funding process, but it's better that what I had in mind.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network
Normchacho said:
onionberry said:

Well it's not like I hate them, but yeah that's my opinion about somebody who funds the development and research of a billionaire company. And not my opinion overall, my opinion about that specific subject. But, the internet is going to internet and be mad if I say what I think.

The issue isn't your opinion, it's your lack of any argument to back it up. You just said Crowdfunding+big company=bad and haven't even bothered to argue against any of the people that disagree with you. you just keep repeating Crowdfunding+big company=bad, Crowdfunding+big company=bad.

It's because she doesn't actually have an arguement to back it up.

Big company using crowdfunding to gauge consumer interest is bad because....... I don't know but this is my opinion. This is the internet and this is a forum where opinions are told. 

If the crowd funding site was being used to pay for Sony's next model MP3 player, stereo system, or even PlayStation games and peripherals then it would seem pretty dodgy. But its not. They have started a site in which their own employees can propose what appear to be experimental hardware items that Sony likely don't want to fund without first knowing if there is demand.

Not sure how many people have actually had a look at the site. I can't read the language, but the items on their look very conceptual, and not at all things Sony would usually make. The site was probably created at the request of the staff members wanting to promote their own ideas but not wanting to get fired for going to a different crowd funding source.

onionberry said:
crowdfunding for big companies is stupid as fuck and shame on you if you support that specific idea, there, I said it.

Lol, I agree. It's funny seeing people say this is a good idea "to test the waters". Sorry, big companies like Sony don't need their fans to fund shit for them. Feel sorry for the sheep who are going to pour countless dollars into the drain for a billion dollar company

Moderated - Miguel_Zorro

Puppyroach said:
What would people's views here be if these news was in regards to MS doing crowdfunding?

The same, well besides fanboys. That's expected though

Around the Network
NobleTeam360 said:
onionberry said:
crowdfunding for big companies is stupid as fuck and shame on you if you support that specific idea, there, I said it.

Lol, I agree. It's funny seeing people say this is a good idea "to test the waters". Sorry, big companies like Sony don't need their fans to fund shit for them. Feel sorry for the sheep who are going to pour countless dollars into the drain for a billion dollar company

SHHHHHHH... don't say that, lots of people will disagree with you, and it'll start a flame war. 

NobleTeam360 said:
Puppyroach said:
What would people's views here be if these news was in regards to MS doing crowdfunding?

The same, well besides fanboys. That's expected though

No, I'd be even more pissed, as it would be my preferred platform. Also, Microsoft has alot more $$$, so that would also make me quite pissed. Even so, Sony is still a multi-billion dollar corp, it shouldn't need funding from other people to support its projects.

super6646 said:
NobleTeam360 said:

SHHHHHHH... don't say that, lots of people will disagree with you, and it'll start a flame war. 

Sorry  

Oh goodness, I didn`t think it`d get this far with crowdfunding. Now that Sony is dipping their toes into crowdfunding, it has me worried that more big companies might follow suit, and who knows what else could happen. Possibly consumers having to show interest by backing projects instead of companies trying to sell consumers their products... I don`t like that in order for Sony to give their employees more freedom to take risks, that consumers have to show it with money. Why not let employees have some of that freedom without the crowdfunding? Higher ups can listen to these ideas and make a decision on whether to further the idea or not, and not with crowd funding... Or maybe just share the idea openly with people and hear their opinions on it. Just... not this crowdfunding thing, please.

I feel this is possibly telling the condition of the company if they are opening crowdfunding to take risks on more innovative ideas...

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

This is gross.

Its basically this: "We worth less and less every month. Although we're still worth/have more than you would in twenty lives, we need YOUR money to fund OUR employees' ideas because we have a lot to lose if we invest in a prototype... So you do it for us."

Would they at least mass produce the item and ship/promote it? Or do they need assistance with that too?

Crowfunding as a whole is just... No good. Unless you're a genius working on the cure for aids, you should be ashamed for asking people to fund your work. Work your ass for it!