By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony launches crowdfunding platform

Legend11 said:

What if a company came to you and asked for money to invest in a project because they feel it's too risky to invest their own money into it.  Does that seem cool to you?  Some people are going to say this is good for consumers and in some cases it is because there are many good products that wouldn't exist today without crowdfunding.  The problem at least to me is the prospect of large companies getting involved that have historically took on the risk of product development themselves. 

The consumer is basically taking a risk everything they crowdfund something.  Now imagine if many large companies suddenly get involved with crowdfunding.  If the project goes bankrupt for whatever reason it's the crowdfunding people that are left holding the bag.  If the project is a huge success the company can swoop in reap the benefits.  Basically it would be a way for large companies to get even richer at the expense of consumers.  It also puts pressure on competitors to do the exact same thing in order to be competitive.

That's not the kind of World I'd want to live in and I doubt many people would want to either.  It's the reason the Shenmue 3 kickstarter really annoys me.  Don't get me wrong the guy behind it seems really cool it's just the fact that a large company is going to benefit from it (exclusivity, etc) that I don't like and I don't think ir should have any place in crowdfunding.

I think the problem arises when companies start asking for funding on projects that they know will make them money beforehand, every other project is just like with normal crowdfunding, just that the recipients of the money are different (though even with crowdfunding there are situations where projects that shouldn't need funding are asking for some, case in point: Project Cars 2 asking for 2 million in crowdfunds). 

Around the Network

I think this is brilliant because I have worked for a big British company in my younger years and it was impossible for employees to be heard as the idea man / women were highly paid individuals and for a regular employee to be heard was pretty much impossible, nor would you be taken seriously.

What Sony has done here for its employees is open up doors to be creative and pitch ideas regardless how low you are in the company structure. It's figured out a way to create a structure using an existing structure on how they can:

1) manage it easily
2) give more opportunities to employees that wouldn't be on the radar as their positions might be really low
3) minimise financial risk
4) maximise creativity within the company at all levels

I get people not being happy as Sony is seen as a large conglomerate, but anyone working for a big company will understand what this means for the regular person in that company, is a huge opportunity and essentially it is for them.

Ruler said:
Cloudman said:
Oh goodness, I didn`t think it`d get this far with crowdfunding. Now that Sony is dipping their toes into crowdfunding, it has me worried that more big companies might follow suit, and who knows what else could happen. Possibly consumers having to show interest by backing projects instead of companies trying to sell consumers their products... I don`t like that in order for Sony to give their employees more freedom to take risks, that consumers have to show it with money. Why not let employees have some of that freedom without the crowdfunding? Higher ups can listen to these ideas and make a decision on whether to further the idea or not, and not with crowd funding... Or maybe just share the idea openly with people and hear their opinions on it. Just... not this crowdfunding thing, please.

I feel this is possibly telling the condition of the company if they are opening crowdfunding to take risks on more innovative ideas...

first you say Sony is a big cooperation then you turn around saying they are poor? Trust me this is a great concept and its allready praised by many in the Bussines Media, if Sony built its own Kickstarter platform this could be huge for them.

I think crowdfunding is better than what we have now.

For example. Look at EA whos closing down Maxis and shutting down the C&C free to play game without even asking the consumers? So this is the better model than crowdfunding? And Nintendo could also ask if people want to have another metroid or eathbound? I dont see these games happening currentley despite people saying they want them for the 1000ths of times since years.

I don`t mean to say Sony is a big company, but also poor, but Sony in general is seem as one, and should be able to fund any ideas they may have or not, so sony opening crowdfunding to take risks sounds like a very weird thing to me. Essentially every thing they do is a risk, even if good sales are likely happen or not, so I don`t see why consumers should be needed to back some of the risk. That should be on the company to do. It is a business, afterall. So I don`t think crowdfunding should be okay for big companies to use, sorry. I only see it for people who don`t have other means to fund any ideas they may have. If companies have the funds to do so, they should.

EA closing down Maxis and shutting down the C&C game isn`t relatable to crowdfunding. EA took risks in funding them and they ended up doing terribly, due to poor and questionable decisions they made with them (more so with Simcity than with C&C. I don`t know the situation with that game). Consumers already gave their responses by not purchasing and criticizing the game. And it`s EA`s decision to shut down smalller groups, or try again, not consumers. With the case of the C&C game, it sounds like it was rocky, with some people divided between the game having potential, and some commenting it was not good, so EA possibly took those responses and decided to cancel it, feeling it was not worth investing. If they did, they could have decided to continue the project anyway, but it should not come to crowdfunding as a means to save it, especially if EA didn`t deem it worthwhile themselves.

Risks have been done since way before, some being successful, and some not, but it should not come down to consumers having to help with the funding of the game, or any product for that matter. That is only for those who have no other means to do so.

As for games like Metroid, Earthbound, and other wanted older games, it seems they are listening, and could be trying to bring them back, but we`ll have to wait and see. There is the new metroid game, which may not be the game people want, but sounds like it has potential to be good, and the last game was in 2010, so a proper metroid game could be in the works. Earthbound will likely never continue, as that call is likely up to Itoi, and not Nintendo.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Crowdfunding was supposed to give a chance to anyone with a great idea to develop said idea. Of course that implies you don't have the resources to do it.

Big corporations doing crowdfunding are only looking to exploit it. To have customers pay most, if not all of the dev costs while the publishers reap the benefits and the devs are hardly paid.

It is too easy for publishers to make projects hostages of the system. I can easily see CapCom putting Operation Raccoon City 2 on crowdfunding then telling the fans they are gauging interest in the RE series and a Resident Evil 8 crowdfunding won't happen unless Operation Raccoon City 2 crowdfunding is a success.

Popularity isn't equal to quality, and popular IPs can easily overshadow new ones. Many interesting ideas are going to be buried in favor of crowdfunding the hundred Naruto fighter which is exactly the same as the 99th but now Naruto has a new form with extra tails.

Pandoras Box has been opened. Expect many other Companies to exploit crowdfunding too.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

FunFan said:
Crowdfunding was supposed to give a chance to anyone with a great idea to develop said idea. Of course that implies you don't have the resources to do it.

Big corporations doing crowdfunding are only looking to exploit it. To have customers pay most, if not all of the dev costs while the publishers reap the benefits and the devs are hardly paid.

It is too easy for publishers to make projects hostages of the system. I can easily see CapCom putting Operation Raccoon City 2 on crowdfunding then telling the fans they are gauging interest in the RE series and a Resident Evil 8 crowdfunding won't happen unless Operation Raccoon City 2 crowdfunding is a success.

Popularity isn't equal to quality, and popular IPs can easily overshadow new ones. Many interesting ideas are going to be buried in favor of crowdfunding the hundred Naruto fighter which is exactly the same as the 99th but now Naruto has a new form with extra tails.

Pandoras Box has been opened. Expect many other Companies to exploit crowdfunding too.

I take it that you didn't read the OP. You're talking about games which have nothing to do with this. 

Around the Network

This is a great move by Sony. I hope other companies follow suit. Hopefully, it will help lower the cost of products due to less of a need to recoupe R&D. I would love to see more products operated like the console business were low profit margins are the norm. I love paying $400 for a $400 device, as oppossed to $800 for a $200 device like the phone and tablet markets.

It will be great if they offer this for game developement, non gaming software, and hardware as well. I would throw 100K at Sony right now if they were open to making a PS Phone on the Vita OS. I would also throw 1K each at a Legend of Legaia Remake, and PS Phone version of Gran Turismo. I would also be down with dropping a couple grand for decent photo editing software, word processor, and spread sheet apps for PlayStation hardware.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

I disagree with this. they don't need crowd funding.

They shoudl do what lego does and put up designs and people simply tick they back the idea with no money invovled. Once they get enough votes they try to make it if there re no legal blockers.

Hynad said:
onionberry said:
crowdfunding for big companies is stupid as fuck and shame on you if you support that specific idea, there, I said it.

Now waiting for a rational and reasonable explanation for your stance.

Because as it stands, this is what I read: WHA WHA I don't like this because it is bad because I say so!

Moderated - Miguel_Zorro

why in the hell this guy got moderated while the one who rplyed with hars lenguage is not weir mod

HollyGamer said:
Hynad said:
onionberry said:
crowdfunding for big companies is stupid as fuck and shame on you if you support that specific idea, there, I said it.

Now waiting for a rational and reasonable explanation for your stance.

Because as it stands, this is what I read: WHA WHA I don't like this because it is bad because I say so!

Moderated - Miguel_Zorro

why in the hell this guy got moderated while the one who rplyed with hars lenguage is not weir mod

I think Hynad got a warning because he's not banned. onionberry was moderated and banned for her posts in this thread for a day. 

This could be a great platform for PS Vita too!