By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Prediction: PS5 will run at 4k

I just want that the PS5 can run Games easily with 1080p and 60fps with everything on utlra settings, my TV does a 4k upscale anyway

I am from Switzerland, so please accept my bad english ;)

"Normally, most of the B-teams of the DC Universe should have no problem with either Goku or any other SSJ out there, Gotenks and Vegito included. I think Black Adam would be enough, easily, to end them both. Maybe Booster Gold, if he could stop being a fuck up for a while."

Jinxrake aka best Comedian ever

Around the Network

There won't likely be a consistent or standard resolution for PS5 developed titles.

I imagine there will be a fair amount of titles that simply run 1920x1080 at a locked 60fps, along with titles running at 2560x1440 at 30-60fps and graphically less demanding titles running at 4k native.

If frame rates average below 30fps on any given title, I would imagine developers would lower the resolution or overall visuals rather than risk noticeably choppy performance.

KBG29 said:
PS4 can already run games at 4k/30fps, devs have already stated all they need is Sony to unlock it in firmware. A PS5 without 4K as the standard for SCEWWS games would be the death of the PS brand. When people buy a new PlayStation they expect a quantum leap over the previous product. Releasing a next product that is same as the last will put the PS5 in the same shoes as Vita.

I expect the PS5 to release in 2020, with 4K games, a new wireless Project Morpheus + Updated Camera & Motion Capturing equipment. There will also be more VR games during the PS5's life span than, traditional 4k games.

this is flat out wrong.
The PS4 can handle VIDEO OUTPUT at 4k 30fps, not "Run games at".

it won't

PS3 was meant to do 1080p flawlessly

PS4 is starting to get there with 1080p

I would rather a ready 1080p 60fps ultra settings

Could be possible.

Around the Network

PS5 will support 4K*

The problem isn't whether the hardware is capable, the problem is whether devs are going to give up on ALL (Because it is a a lot!) that extra horse power which would otherwise be used to improve actual graphics+performance, simply so they can render at a resolution that:

1. Isn't necessary for a crisp image unless you have 60" + TV or sit mere inches away from your screen.
2. Maybe not even be the TV standard come 2018 (probably will be but still)

When there is a compromise between high end graphics and resolution, graphics take the crown. There comes a point where you need higher resolutions to really appreciate the more detailed graphics, but I think1080p/1440p (or whatever the equivalent) will surfice for most devs next gen. There is such a massive resource jump between 1080p and 4k, it simply doesn't make sense to assume developers are going to ignore all those places in between, just as we're currently seeing more games render at 900p as compromise between resolution, fps and graphics. I'm sure we'll see 4k games coming from indie devs and games with simple artstyle, as they wouldn't have or need to the art resources to produce something that looks like this

greenmedic88 said:
There won't likely be a consistent or standard resolution for PS5 developed titles.

I imagine there will be a fair amount of titles that simply run 1920x1080 at a locked 60fps, along with titles running at 2560x1440 at 30-60fps and graphically less demanding titles running at 4k native.

If frame rates average below 30fps on any given title, I would imagine developers would lower the resolution or overall visuals rather than risk noticeably choppy performance.

2560x1440 is never going to happen because no tv has that resolution natively. It would give a blurry image.

Ontopic i think 4k would be a waste of recourses. You need 4 times the processing power of a PS4 just to play the exact same game on a higher resolution. Advancement in graphics power has slowed down in recent years, with the biggest bumps coming with a increase in power draw. Let's assume for a minute that this is going to be a slightly shorter generation. The result, a PS5 with 8x the graphics power of the PS4. If it would have to render everything in 4k you would get the exact same game in 4k at 60 fps.

That's it, an entire generation leap and al you get is the same graphical detail, effects etc only on a higher resolution and 60 fps. I think the next generation is going to stick to 1080p 60fps.

AnthonyW86 said:

2560x1440 is never going to happen because no tv has that resolution natively. It would give a blurry image.

Is it not just about that ratio 16:9? My tv is natively 1080 but most games I play are 720p and look fine, how is that different from a 4k TV rendering 1440p (16:9)?

teigaga said:
AnthonyW86 said:

Is it not just about that ratio 16:9? My tv is natively 1080 but most games I play are 720p and look fine, how is that different from a 4k TV rendering 1440p (16:9)?

Using the same ratio is important yes but even with that the effect wil still be there. LCD is very sensitive to non native resolutions, and if the resolution is lower it has to stretch the pixels to fill up the gaps. Your 720p games actually do look slightly fuzzy and less sharp, but you're probably used to it. Try hooking up a pc and try different resolutions. You will notice a big difference.

JOKA_ said:
How many people have 4k TVs? They won't have the PS5 output at a resolution that the majority of their customers can't use

You could have said that about 1080p in 2006.

PS, PS2, Gameboy Advance, PS3, PSP, PS4, Xbox One