By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Prediction: PS5 will run at 4k

sc94597 said:

1. Now can you replicate that depiction with pixel count? I think it is a bad analogy to be honest. The rates at which higher resolutions have become standards in games are much slower than the growth of storage space. In the 7th generation 720p was a standard, in the 8th generation 1080p is a standard. That is only twice the pixel count after seven years. 4k entials about four times the pixel count of 1080p. 

1080p still isn't really standard in the 8th generation

also if you have looked at most games,developers use alot of tricks and art-styles to make better graphics

it isn't really they make the entire game,one grain of sand or dirt at a time

using different are styles,they get the job done

the same will happen will future consoles,and i never really said that developers will fully harness the technology but only that PS5 will have hardware to use for that kind of upgrade

2. I think it was a valid inquiry. 

Are only talking about displays? Not the actually capabilities of the platforms? "You get what I mean." Actually I don't. Do you mean 4k displays are outdated now? (They obviously are not if we look at market adoption rates.)  Or are you speaking of higher-end hardware being capable of 4k? The use of "technology" implied that you meant all of these things. 

well i only meant 4k as in resolution for TV's not computer hardware to run games

also 4k is not yet already old but it is pretty common everywhere,eletronics manufacturers will need another gimicks by the time PS5-XBOX NEXT launch in 2020

3.  Yes, really. What's a standard in the PC or mobile market does not have to be a standard in the console-market. Hence, we must define "consumer" when making such observations. 

well most people here or in the gaming world usually talk abt Consoles not PC or mobile even though they might like it

so you shud be get the point of politely ask for it

4. It is an important question, as it is what this thread has posited, will the next platforms be capable of running games at 4k? You said they'd clearly render games at 5k. I was first inquiring what kind of games you expect these platforms to play at 5k. I then inquired about the television display that will output in 5k. 4k is the future-standard, and 8k will be the standard after that. Will 8k displays be common by the time the PS5/XBTWo release? 

4k really seems to be current standard now in 2015 not future anymore

i am not going out in 2015 and buying  a 1080p tv

i think by 2020,the electrnics world will need another gimmick like 3D or Virtual Reliaty or 4K in the past

i acutally think by 2020 or 2030,we shud really be getting near holographic display but we really haven't seen anything so i can't comment on it

5k displays are already a reality with MAC's and it will surely be a part of APPLE TV when it launches in the next few years

i think some sort of Transparent glass or OLED display will be the thing in 2020 which PS5-XBONE-APPLE TV-Android TV will be targeting for Media,Movies,TV and Games.

this display will be 5k or more in resolution

5. This is what I am talking about. http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/imac-retina?afid=p238%7CsVDEA0EFo-dc_mtid_1870765e38482_pcrid_52243311610_&cid=aos-us-kwg-pla-mac-slid-

well you can really scale that up high

also can use Thundebolt Cable and use it with Mac Pro and also a PC

and it was what I assumed you were talking about with, "and they are already making 5K mac's"

If you are just talking about the screen, how is that relevant to your prior point: "i actually think it will play 5k" ? 

Well i was saying that both the screen tech aka 5k resolution

and

PS5 hardware which can play 5K games will be available in 2020

Around the Network

I hope it will, but I'm sure upscaling from 1440p will look nice too.

It won't be long now until I make the switch. 49" 4K tvs are under $1000 nowadays. I'm looking for a 60" or 65" one to replace my 2006 52" 1080p tv. I'm waiting for 4K blu-ray to come out first though. The way prices are dropping it doesn't make sense to buy one before the content is available. (I can hardly stream 1080p on my connection, so that's not a viable source)

The better upgrade would be upgrading my projector. But 4K projectors are still hard to find. I could replace it with this beauty http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-98UB9800-led-tv, one too many 9's in the price tag though.

Unless games are locked 30fps at medium-like settings, then no. The AMD Nano wont be able to do 4k 60fps high-ultra settings and it looks to be $450. Though tech can advance enough in two years (next consoles will likely have 2017 tech), it will still be tough to do it with what should be a roughly $250 gpu; and even with HBM.

Best case it will output 4k during menu and movies, but games will likely be 2k.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

I kinda think they will aim for 2K resolution instead. That will look very nice on a 4K TV without hogging such huge resources.

I don't think anyone wants to hear this but I still think 9th gen is 30FPS ...

Around the Network

By that time, they will try to push the graphics so much there won't be any juice left for 4k... so it will be 1080p with awesome graphics, while PC with the latest card at that time can play the very same graphics at 4k. i predict this cause technically the 360 and ps3 could perform 1080p and 60fps but they jumped so strong into the graphics instead

PSN: Opticstrike90
Steam: opticstrike90

I believe it. Not for every game but there will be. In fact I think even PS4 will test the waters with 4K for specific smaller titles a few years down the line. As for 4K TV adoption, yes the market will be split but consider PS5 doesn't need wide adaption of 4K to decide to support it. Years into PS5 more and more people will have 4K, making it more standard. Even PS4 is going to utilize itself as a 4K content streamer box.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

teigaga said:
AnthonyW86 said:

2560x1440 is never going to happen because no tv has that resolution natively. It would give a blurry image.

Is it not just about that ratio 16:9? My tv is natively 1080 but most games I play are 720p and look fine, how is that different from a 4k TV rendering 1440p (16:9)?

It would actually be the same exact scenario. Comparing a 720p game upscaled to 1920x1080 and a 1440p game upscaled to 4k resolution would be the same thing only with more pixels. 

Even going beyond that, there are non-square pixels interpolated from non 16:9 aspect ratio native render resolutions (MGS4 is a well known example). 

I suppose the real question should be how long will the current hardware generation last, followed by what type of specs (CPU, GPU, RAM) $400 will buy when designed as a mass market, high volume device.

Currently, 4k more or less requires a $400 video card or better for what most would consider to be acceptable frame rates and performance. $330 is kind of the bare minimum (GTX970) and that can more realistically be called a 1440p video card.