By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Prediction: PS5 will run at 4k

fatslob-:O said:
sc94597 said:

It is barely noticeable on even pretty large televisions, and VR is definitely going to be niche until costs come down. 

We don`t even have the official prices for the consumer versions and your already assuming that it'll cost a fortune ?

If somebody is going to spend $600+ on a 4k television, and $400-500 on a PS5 or XBTwo, they're not going to spend "several hundred dollars"* on a VR Headset unless there is something compelling about it. Consequently, developers are going to develop for television gaming, not VR. 

I can only see VR being a success in the PC space, to be honest. 

*http://www.wired.com/2015/06/sony-morpheus/

"“We need to convince PS4 owners to spend several hundred dollars to purchase a Morpheus headset, on top of the PS4 they already have,” says Shuhei Yoshida, president of Sony’s Worldwide Studios. “And more gaming content is what will convince them. We have 30 or more games being developed that we are tracking—not all of them will come out at launch, but there are serious efforts being made on all of them.”"

Around the Network

They kinda have to and I can see them delaying the next gen as much as possible so they can achieve this cheaply. And then it will be another awful gen with games at 30fps and below while I'm speeding along on pc at 1440p with 100+ fps on ultra.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

sc94597 said:

If somebody is going to spend $600+ on a 4k television, and $400-500 on a PS5 or XBTwo, they're not going to spend "several hundred dollars"* on a VR Headset unless there is something compelling about it. Consequently, developers are going to develop for television gaming, not VR. 

I can only see VR being a success in the PC space, to be honest. 

*http://www.wired.com/2015/06/sony-morpheus/

"“We need to convince PS4 owners to spend several hundred dollars to purchase a Morpheus headset, on top of the PS4 they already have,” says Shuhei Yoshida, president of Sony’s Worldwide Studios. “And more gaming content is what will convince them. We have 30 or more games being developed that we are tracking—not all of them will come out at launch, but there are serious efforts being made on all of them.”"

I'm not sure if it's Yoshida overestimating the cost but a second wave developer's kit of Oculus Rift only costs $350 ...

Then again I can't say that the quality of the devices and experience between them will be comparable yet without some consumer data ...

The PS4 can't even have most of their games in 1080p

Pocky Lover Boy! 

the-pi-guy said:

Most?  

I can only think of 2 games for sure that don't run in 1080p. 

There's more than 2 AAA games that aren't 1080p ...

Battlefield 4

Battlefield Hardline

Watch Dogs 

Assassin's Creed Unity

The Order 1886 

EA Sports UFC

(I still get the point your making though ...)

Around the Network

I think it will thanks to smaller fab processes and technology like HBM. Its more or less a given.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Jranation said:
The PS4 can't even have most of their games in 1080p

it has most of its games in 1080p

CWegzz said:
I don't see it. The PS6 will probably run 4k. 4k is still pretty expensive on pc's and only a few games run on 4k on pc. The only way i see it happening is at like 15 fps and even then I think that's pushing it, unless they want to make it super expensive.

if you aim for 30fps 4k is affordable on PC

It wont happen, next gen will be 1080p/60fps across the board with any remaining horsepower pumped into AA/Filtering and effects.

Tachikoma said:
It wont happen, next gen will be 1080p/60fps across the board with any remaining horsepower pumped into AA/Filtering and effects.

We can only hope so.

But that would mean next gen comes probably sooner rather than later, right?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.