By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Prediction: PS5 will run at 4k

torok said:
Mr.Playstation said:

They're still selling HD Ready TV's. I'm sure they'll be selling Full HD TV's for quite a while longer. 1440P is their best option. People will with 1080P screens will get a massive performance and graphical ( due to increased Textures and so on ) increase over the PS4 and those with a 4K Tv will also enjoy a good bump in resolution from 1080P to 1440P. It's the best chocie for Sony when dealing with Performance, Graphics and Price.

1440p is a terrible option because all 1080p content will be upscaled and will lose quality. Nobody will buy a 1440p set that makes their 1080p movies look worse.

This resolutions are viable on PS monitors because they aren't mainly used for watching films, just content that can render at any resolution (games, apps, etc). For TVs, after 1080p we will have 4K and after that we will have 8K.

Or they could just lock the resolution, if the original material is only 1080P and if the PS4 can do 4K pics than the PS5 will easily be able to play movies in 4K ( Maybe it can even be done on the PS4 if Netflix could stream in 4K without any buffering ). In gaming it's just not worth the upgrade in resolution only to have a decrease in performance and an increase in cost. 1440P provides a very good native update for people using 4K screens yet is still manageable at a decent FPS and Price.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

Around the Network
Mr.Playstation said:

Or they could just lock the resolution, if the original material is only 1080P and if the PS4 can do 4K pics than the PS5 will easily be able to play movies in 4K ( Maybe it can even be done on the PS4 if Netflix could stream in 4K without any buffering ). In gaming it's just not worth the upgrade in resolution only to have a decrease in performance and an increase in cost. 1440P provides a very good native update for people using 4K screens yet is still manageable at a decent FPS and Price.

I think you didn't understood the problem with this kind of resolutions. The console has the flexibility to output any resolution, like 720p or 1080p. But a 1440p console needs a 1440p TV. And a 1440p TV is useless. 4K TVs are nice because 4K films look good. If you put a 1080p film on it, it will, at least, look as good as a 1080p set. Because it scales well. It's an integer multiplication for pixels. They will probably look better, because 4K sets are more expensive and pack better tech.

If you got a 1440p TV, 1440p content would look good. But 1080p content would look worse than in your current 1080p TV, because the scaling isn't exact. So you would expend more money on a new TV that makes 95% of the content look worse than your old set (unline 4K ones).

So the problem isn't the consoles. It's just that a 1440p TV would be worse than a 1080p one in 95% of the situations, while costing more.

sabvre42 said:
ArchangelMadzz said:
No one has a 1440p TV. That's a monitor thing I believe.

They could do 2560x1440 native with upscaling to 4k. Heck, my budget TV has 4K upscaling already (and MS is investing millions to convince people that 900p and 1080p are the same... so 1440-2080 probably would't be that hard of a sell.

It is a hard sell being that the top reason people buy a PS4 is because of 'higher resolution'.

1440p upscaling is pointless, they'll probably go 4k 30fps, and have a 980 (maybe a little higher like Fury X) equivalent in 2019 for the PS5.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

I hope not, more power going to better graphics instead of something really important.

It isn't out of question, it all depends of how 4K goes in the next years.

Around the Network
ArchangelMadzz said:
sabvre42 said:

They could do 2560x1440 native with upscaling to 4k. Heck, my budget TV has 4K upscaling already (and MS is investing millions to convince people that 900p and 1080p are the same... so 1440-2080 probably would't be that hard of a sell.

It is a hard sell being that the top reason people buy a PS4 is because of 'higher resolution'.

1440p upscaling is pointless, they'll probably go 4k 30fps, and have a 980 (maybe a little higher like Fury X) equivalent in 2019 for the PS5.

That is too low for next gen. Fury X is 8.6TFLOPS card (that's just ~4.5x PS4), in GCN FLOPS (nVidia performs about the same with much less 'Maxwell' FLOPS), that manages barely above 30fps in 4K in most demanding games - I don't think anyone would be happy to see games looking the same as now, just in 4K.

Most likely scenario for 2019 is some 15TFLOPS, but even that is hardly enough for native 4K, once 1080p to 4K resolution penalty is taken into account and necessity to amaze audience with 'moah graphix' compared to 8th gen.

I mean, they could go with native 4K even with that, but forums will be burning with 'diminishing returns' threads.

My bet for around 15TFLOPS is mostly 1920x2160 to 2560x2160 resolutions.

The next consoles should be able to render eighth gen games a 4k, but not the type of graphics and detail 9th gen should entail. Expect a lower resolution upscaled to 4k, or 1080p 60 fps games with SSAA. It will be like the seventh gen's 720p/sub hd marketed as 1080p.

CrazyGPU said:

Lot of people say that next sony console wont be running at 4k, but I think it will.

If you look at current high end GPUS, they can run 4k average games at high settings (not ultra with MSAA, but high). 

Why would anybody even need AA at 4k resolutions? Aliasing is essentially non-existent with 4xSSAA or 4k resolutions.

JOKA_ said:
How many people have 4k TVs? They won't have the PS5 output at a resolution that the majority of their customers can't use.

4k TVs are getting cheaper.  I saw a 4k Samsung TV for only $600 at Sam's Club.

For 2D games sure. 3D PS4 games should be 720p and PS5 1080p. 90+fps should be the standard.