By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Prediction: PS5 will run at 4k

I don't see it. The PS6 will probably run 4k. 4k is still pretty expensive on pc's and only a few games run on 4k on pc. The only way i see it happening is at like 15 fps and even then I think that's pushing it, unless they want to make it super expensive.

Wii U NNID:  CWegzz
3DS Friend Code:  4210-5277-5484
PSN:  Ronnoc4
Steam:  CWegz

Around the Network
sc94597 said:
The next consoles should be able to render eighth gen games a 4k, but not the type of graphics and detail 9th gen should entail. Expect a lower resolution upscaled to 4k, or 1080p 60 fps games with SSAA. It will be like the seventh gen's 720p/sub hd marketed as 1080p.

Why even do SSAA when you can just turn up the resolution instead ? (It's not like 4K TV's will be very expensive.)

SSAA does not help in reducing the amount of shading samples and MSAA with alpha to coverage conversion is much less expensive and provides high quality results ... 

CrazyGPU said:
Logic tells me that after going to x86 there is no going back. I mean, Games will be compatible, they perfectly can make games to run at 4k in a PS5 and run 1080p in PS4. Like apple selling Iphone 6 for hardcore and old Iphone 5 to buyers that look for cheaper stuff running the same IOS. Or like running games on a PC, if you have the best graphic card you can run 4k, but if you have a mid range one you can run full hd.
I think PS4 will be a "mid range card" and PS5 the high end one that will last longer.

Both the PS5 and XB4 (or XB2, infinity, 4k, whatever this is confusing me now) WILL be 4k. These consoles won't release before 2018, maybe even 2019 or 20. By then, 4k will be standard, and in fact they'll probably go even higher than that.

Edit: Sorry, I wanted to reply to Cwegg, but I ended up replying to you. 

sc94597 said:

Why would anybody even need AA at 4k resolutions? Aliasing is essentially non-existent with 4xSSAA or 4k resolutions.

There's still aliasing with 4K and the problem gets worse with VR ... 

Mr.Playstation said:
I would be happy with a PS5 running at 1440P but with everything else graphically maxed out ( Textures etc. ) and running at a stable 60 FPS for most games. 4K television screens just aren't going to be a thing for a while and next gen consoles can do without outputting their games at that resolution.

but all the TVs I see being sold are 1080p or 4k.  most don't go for 1440p so I think 4k is becoming a thing faster than 1440p screens

I am Iron Man

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:
sc94597 said:
The next consoles should be able to render eighth gen games a 4k, but not the type of graphics and detail 9th gen should entail. Expect a lower resolution upscaled to 4k, or 1080p 60 fps games with SSAA. It will be like the seventh gen's 720p/sub hd marketed as 1080p.

Why even do SSAA when you can just turn up the resolution instead ? (It's not like 4K TV's will be very expensive.)

SSAA does not help in reducing the amount of shading samples and MSAA with alpha to coverage conversion is much less expensive and provides high quality results ... 

Depends on the adoption rate of 4k tvs. Full HD tvs had a push by cable providers (HD content) and bluray, something I don't think UHD tvs will have. 

From my experience SSAA has always been more useful in getting rid of aliasing versus MSAA. Depending on the game I don't notice much of a performance difference either. Either would be an upgrade when compared with the post-processing AA that is riddled in console games this generation, and which actually make the image quality worse, in my opinion. 

fatslob-:O said:
sc94597 said:

Why would anybody even need AA at 4k resolutions? Aliasing is essentially non-existent with 4xSSAA or 4k resolutions.

There's still aliasing with 4K and the problem gets worse with VR ... 

It is barely noticeable on even pretty large televisions, and VR is definitely going to be niche until costs come down. 

sc94597 said:

From my experience SSAA has always been more useful in getting rid of aliasing versus MSAA. Depending on the game I don't notice much of a performance difference either. Either would be an upgrade when compared with the post-processing AA that is riddled in console games this generation, and which actually make the image quality worse, in my opinion. 

I'm ALMOST certain that SSAA is VERY intensive on the most recent of AAA games ...

The main difference between SSAA and MSAA that would affect the image are the gradients used to compute LOD texture sampling and that can result in higher quality texture samples for SSAA but they both still have identical edge anti-aliasing quality ... 

Post-process AA isn't bad as long as developers are being careful about it ...

sc94597 said:

It is barely noticeable on even pretty large televisions, and VR is definitely going to be niche until costs come down. 

We don`t even have the official prices for the consumer versions and your already assuming that it'll cost a fortune ?

Probably. In fact, it will probably be the standard, in the same way that 1080p is on PS4. Hopefully 4K TV's will be a lot more accessible several years from now when we're looking at the PS5. The real question is, will 60 FPS be standard as well? Personally I don't care, but a lot of people seem to.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon