By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Jim Ryan: PS4 has 70%-90% market share in Europe

KoiIroRazu said:
Anyways, congrats Sony.

the best console wins, so is the real life : ) console-gaming is very popular thanks the ps4.

Around the Network
Ryng_Tolu said:
GribbleGrunger said:
Ryng_Tolu said:
poklane said:

Yes, otherwise Jim Ryan is full of shit. Here, take a look at this post from NeoGAF: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=170402837&postcount=24

In the case of France: PS4 would have needed to sell and additional 1.5million units while XB1 and Wii U sold 0 units to reach 70% in France.

The Wii U is at 600k in France for be correct... yeah, no way for PS4 be at 70% of marketshare if we including WiiU+XB1.

What are you on about? He doesn't say France, he says Europe. It could be 50% in France and still be 70% in Europe.

Indeed i talk about France, not Europe. ;)

We've got another I meant globally in the US brewing haven't we? XD

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

MikeRox said:
Ryng_Tolu said:

Indeed i talk about France, not Europe. ;)

We've got another I meant globally in the US brewing haven't we? XD

Globally in France. :P

Something was niggling at my brain when I read this, only now remembered what!

Remember awhile back when EA started that service EA Access? Of course you do! =D Anyway, I remember during the initial announcement and surrounding discussions that EA had mentioned specifically that they were looking to provide this service globally, or at least in significant parts of both North America and Europe. Of course, since this service isn't (as far as research has indicated) on PC, it means it's solely available on the Xbox One.

...the console with a significantly smaller marketshare in Europe than its competitor. In some cases, apparently, VASTLY smaller.

When Sony announced that they wouldn't be having the service on their platform, there was the whole 'not enough value' excuse given which, let's face it, was largely spin. =P Just look at their initial pricing on PSNow. I don't mean this negatively, if the positions were reversed, Microsoft, (and just to toss it in, Nintendo) would have said the same thing, it's what companies do. Of course, what wasn't spin was that it was probably THEY who were refusing EA access (lawl) to their platform with the service, and EA weren't the ones saying; "Pffft, no, we don't WANT to put our service on your console! Stop calling me!'

A lot of people theorized that Sony did it because they didn't want competition taking attention away from PSNow and/or PS+, and while I do think that's part of it, I also can't help but think Sony might be using it as a sort of bargaining chip. EA landed pretty heavily on Microsoft's side when the generation started, what with all the partnering and deals and bundles and whatnot. It's only been more recently that I've seen any notable pairing between Sony and EA, i.e. Star Wars Battlefront's marketing deal. I can't help but wonder if we're going to see two things happen going forward;

One, more EA/Sony pairings, be they marketing deals or even more significant partnerships,

And two, once EA and Sony are suitably chummy, EA Access eventually being announced for the PS4.

Because the thing is, Sony's excuse leaves them an opening to go back and reverse the decision. 'Not enough value,' for a service that from what I hear keeps adding 'free' games to a Vault, thereby increasing that perceived value, means Sony can just randomly announced; "...whelp, looks like enough value for us! GREEN STAMP OF APPROVAL!' Now, EA might not have been thrilled at the wait, but at the same time they're unlikely to behave like a scorned lover and reply; 'No, screw you, we don't WANT your majority European install base you brute! Xbox One friends foreva!'
----
Sorry for the babbling, it's late, I'm tired. TL:DR version is I wonder whether Sony's European dominance is going to cause EA any sleepless nights, dreaming about getting EA Access on that platform, and whether that sleeplessness is going to give Sony leverage to lure them a bit further from Microsoft, its CEO's ties to the company aside.

Zanten, Doer Of The Things

Unless He Forgets In Which Case Zanten, Forgetter Of The Things

Or He Procrascinates, In Which Case Zanten, Doer Of The Things Later

Or It Involves Moving Furniture, in Which Case Zanten, F*** You.

Wright said:

Not surprising, to be honest. any country that isn't America has always had a soft spot for Playstation.

fixed

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

Around the Network

As Expected, Europe has always been a Sony Land.

Follow me on Instagram : YAFEAXX

Yafea said:

Europe like and love good quality, variety of Japanese games and Western blockbusters and strong hardware. the PlayStation 4 has all that.

KazumaKiryu said:
Yafea said:

Europe likes and love good quality, variety of Japanese games and Western blockbusters and strong hardware. the PlayStation 4 has all that.

Yep, we in Europe are all equal.