By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Metacritic stats by Gen 8 platform ** UPDATED **

Ka-pi96 said:
Aerys said:
czecherychestnut said:

It includes all review scores including multiplat. Why? Because I was interested among other things in the effect XB1's performance deficit might have on scores (very little). It is true that more reviews are done on PS4, but remember I counted Metacritic scores, not review scores. If the XB1 version gets one review from a site they include in their scoring, then it have a Metacritic score. So even though the PS4 version might get more reviews, the number of metacritic scores I feel is still a decent measure of relative library size. It's definitely not absolute though, all three platforms have many more games than what metacritic has listed, plenty of small download only games never get reviewed.

Well it just makes the comparison totally wrong since most games have less than 20 reviews on X1 while they have more than 60 on PS4, the scale is totally different, it cant be compared.

Yet the scores for those games are usually either the same or very close, so it doesn't really make a difference.

It depends, it's not always the case, i saw a lot of games with a différence like 74/80 90/80 because of the huge difference in the number of reviews , but anyway, the real score is the one with the most reviews for multiplatform, it would make much more sense, if he wants to put multiplatforms, to just take PS4 scores for both consoles since it's the real score ( except few multiplatform, the difference is never enough big to give a different score, it's never unplayable on X1 and the experience stays the same despite lower resolution/framerate./..)

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Around the Network
ArchangelMadzz said:
JNK said:

yeah but they are not on wii u. Wii u only got windwaker hd and some ~6month-1year old last gen ports (which you couldnt get on wii). If you own a ps4/xbox one your probl owned a ps3/360 before, so they ps4 doesnt offer alot "new" things there. Old wii owners got "more" games on wii u.
At all i would say all consoles are on a similar level. 

the only remasters that are on PS4 that aren't on XB1 are TLOU and.. well that's it cause GOW and Uncharted collection aren't out yet. You would have more credibility to your argument if there weren't so many more games (more likely good of crap) on PS4.

Flower, Fez, Bastion, Diablo III: Ultimate Edition (same game, 4 point difference in favour of PS4), Shovel Knight (5 point difference in favour of PS4 despite being the same game), The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth.

Upcoming: Journey, GoW3: R, Uncharted Collection.

Seems like someone forgot the overrated indie games.

You can't possibly take metacritic serious, it's so flawed and biased. It's owned by the same company as Gamespot and they work with weighted averages (which simply means Gamespot's reviews count A LOT more).

The real average of Yoshi's Woolly World is 82%, but because of Gamespot's shitty review it's down to 79%. And we all know GS gives just about every Nintendo game a 6 out of 10.

Samus Aran said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

the only remasters that are on PS4 that aren't on XB1 are TLOU and.. well that's it cause GOW and Uncharted collection aren't out yet. You would have more credibility to your argument if there weren't so many more games (more likely good of crap) on PS4.

Flower, Fez, Bastion, Diablo III: Ultimate Edition (same game, 4 point difference in favour of PS4), Shovel Knight (5 point difference in favour of PS4 despite being the same game), The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth.

You can't possibly take metacritic serious, it's so flawed and biased. It's owned by the same company as Gamespot and they work with weighted averages (which simply means Gamespot's reviews count A LOT more).

The real average of Yoshi's Woolly World is 82%, but because of Gamespot's shitty review it's down to 79%. And we all know GS gives just about every Nintendo game a 6 out of 10.

Well your use of the word 'overratted' shows that your argument is opinionated. The top 2 of the 3 scores on Gamespots Metacritic page are Nintendo games.. Ocarina of time is sitting there aswell in the perfect score category. http://www.metacritic.com/publication/gamespot.

The biggest point here is that there are 80 more games to be counted into PS4's metacritic meaning there are more aweful games that would be factored in, and there are more reviews on the multiplat version of PS4's meaning the score could be higher or lower (probably average out to equal overal) to the xbox version.

You can downplay all you want but don't go to a Metacritic thread then bolster about how irrelevant Metacritic is when Nintendo use Metacritic for advertising campaigns. 

The fact here is that the PS4 has a higher average score of games playable on the console than the other 2 home consoles of the 8th gen. It's not by much it's only 4% nothing to get upset about.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

can you use some other methodes? simple average doesnt say much and i guess you have the data somewhere.

ArchangelMadzz said:
Samus Aran said:

Well your use of the word 'overratted' shows that your argument is opinionated. The top 2 of the 3 scores on Gamespots Metacritic page are Nintendo games.. Ocarina of time is sitting there aswell in the perfect score category. http://www.metacritic.com/publication/gamespot.

The biggest point here is that there are 80 more games to be counted into PS4's metacritic meaning there are more aweful games that would be factored in, and there are more reviews on the multiplat version of PS4's meaning the score could be higher or lower (probably average out to equal overal) to the xbox version.

You can downplay all you want but don't go to a Metacritic thread then bolster about how irrelevant Metacritic is when Nintendo use Metacritic for advertising campaigns. 

The fact here is that the PS4 has a higher average score of games playable on the console than the other 2 home consoles of the 8th gen. It's not by much it's only 4% nothing to get upset about.

What does Nintendo PR have to do with me lol? Do you think I made that Ad campaign?

Oh and GS has given perfect scores to more than just 3 games. They aren't listed from best to worse if they have the same score you know... Bayonetta 2 isn't made by Nintendo either.

Look at the amount of good Nintendo games they scored way below the metacritic average this generation alone, then we'll talk.

I didn't downplay, I gave you perfectly reasonably arguments and examples why metacritic can't be taken serious.

I just listed you a considerable amount of remasters/ports that aren't on xbone and scored way too high. But hey, if you think Fez or Bastion are better games than Arkham Knight...

Around the Network
Turkish said:

Damn so PS4 has higher scores despite having more games aka increased likelyhood of crap games. + PS4 gets the majority of the reviews and the platform with most reviews usually tend to have a lower score due to more lower scores overall.

Because Wii U had Sonic Boom. And Sonic games are crap now. The last good game on the series is Generation IMO (sorry sonic fan). 

A handheld gamer only (for now).

Samus Aran said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

What does Nintendo PR have to do with me lol? Do you think I made that Ad campaign?

Oh and GS has given perfect scores to more than just 3 games. They aren't listed from best to worse if they have the same score you know... Bayonetta 2 isn't made by Nintendo either.

Look at the amount of good Nintendo games they scored way below the metacritic average this generation alone, then we'll talk.

I didn't downplay, I gave you perfectly reasonably arguments and examples why metacritic can't be taken serious.

I just listed you a considerable amount of remasters/ports that aren't on xbone and scored way too high. But hey, if you think Fez or Bastion are better games than Arkham Knight...

I know they have and they've given nintendo games 100's. I know it's not made by nintendo but it's a Wii U exclusive. 

Fair enough you don't think metacritic should be taken seriously but this is a thread about data on metacritic so that's what we're discussing. It's like coming to a sales site and complaining about people talking about sales numbers.

Yeah because you can compare games of different genres with the similar scores..

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Consumers don't care if a game is a remake or a re-master. I don't know why that point keeps coming up.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

ArchangelMadzz said:
Samus Aran said:

I know they have and they've given nintendo games 100's. I know it's not made by nintendo but it's a Wii U exclusive. 

Fair enough you don't think metacritic should be taken seriously but this is a thread about data on metacritic so that's what we're discussing. It's like coming to a sales site and complaining about people talking about sales numbers.

Yeah because you can compare games of different genres with the similar scores..

The average is also a pretty useless statistic. There are far better (and more complicated) options. I guess someone could start by making a boxplot of all 3 consoles.

Samus Aran said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

The average is also a pretty useless statistic. There are far better (and more complicated) options. I guess someone could start by making a boxplot of all 3 consoles.

maybe you?