By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Metacritic stats by Gen 8 platform ** UPDATED **

RubberWhistleHistle said:
to some of you guys saying things like, "this proves that ps4 has better games,"
while i'll be the first to admit that these statistics are consistently in favor of ps4, you guys are making it sound like an average of 72% is leaps and bounds better than an average of 70% or 68%. the numbers are all really close. if it were like 82% vs 70% or lower, then i can see this as utter dominance, but as it stands, there really isnt an outstanding difference between the mean and median scores for all the platforms.
plus, averages really isnt the best way to judge a library. none of us have to experience games that score 5 or lower, so therefore, scores like this that pull down the average are completely irrelevant.

All very true though people don't care about percentages either, they care about the number of games and therefore having 2% higher >80% games is good but having 8 extra >80% games is better for example. The larger library on the PS4 (and to a lessor extent the XB1) does matter to the average consumer on the street (not to 'enthusiasts' like many of us). You can then throw the remasters card but in total number we aren't talking a large number of games (definitely not the vicinity of ~100 games, the gap between the PS4 and Wii U libraries according to Metacritic). 

When I started compiling the numbers I did so expecting there to be a much wider spread (I thought the Wii U would be on top based on the commentary around here which I believed without really thinking about) but it was surprising how close there were, which is a good thing for everyone. 

Around the Network

Interesting. Only if the WiiU came in first. This thread probably wouldn't be full of so much spin.

Though I don't see what's so bad about a range of 4%? Well... Until you look at the amount of reviewed games that is.

Remember there going by average scores. Not AAA scores alone. Also PS4 has alot more games compared to its competitors and a lot of them are PC ports which have received already good scores.

A better comparison would be doing a Console AAA exclusive thread for metacritic average because do we really care about half the indies and remasters and last gen ports? A little misleading.

czecherychestnut said:
aceburg0413 said:
It may just be me, but is there a reason that the percentages in the base tables don't add up to 100%?

Metacritic score PS4 Wii U XB1
> 90% 2.01% 1.94% 1.34%
> 80% 25.08% 22.82% 19.20%
> 70% 63.55% 54.85% 60.71%
> 60% 83.95% 74.27% 81.70%

By calculating the scores in this way you are double and triple counting the same scores, so a game with a score of 80-70 range will get counted for also a score of 70 -60 and below 60, won't it?

The table above the one you selected has that breakdown, the table u selected is the percentage of games that are greater than 60%, 70%, 80%, etc.

Basically it is saying 84% of ps4 games are scored 60% or higher, compared with 75% of Wii U games.  or in other words, 16% of ps4 games are scored lower than 60%, compared to 25% of Wii U games.

I calculated that table for people who were saying that only the number of games greater than 70-80% mattered because people don't care about that other games. The table shows that no matter if you care about games only greater than 70%, 80%, 90%, the PS4 still has the most games and greatest percentage of games in that category.

OK, question withdrawn, thank you for the response to a poorly worded question. 

Why hate systems that bring you great games?

PSN: Aceburg0413

XBOX Live: Sheep of Doom13

Nintendo:  SheepofDoom13

3DS FC:  3222 - 5562 - 9867

Normchacho said:
umegames said:
czecherychestnut said:

Results are:

Wii U: 68.14% from 206 games

XB1: 70.64% from 223 games

PS4: 72.06% from 286 games

Median

PS4 - 74%

Wii U - 72%

XB1 -  73%

1. awesome data you gathered

2. But with ps4 (according to this data) having 80 more games than the wii-u yet only being 1.5% better by median, thats not too impressive. It's pretty much equal to a basket ball player scoring 50 points on 100 shots, vs the next guy scoring 40 points on 60 shots. 

with more games shouldn't ps4 be sizable better, especially if it's the "better machine, with the best studios" as some tote?

This doesn't make any sense...it's an average of all of their scores. Adding 80 games to the Wii U wouldn't inherently raise it's score.

yeah, adding more games will either lower or raise the average, unless all 80 games recieved the same score.

Around the Network

Pretty interesting. And people say "PS4 has no games".

Intrinsic said:
Interesting. Only if the WiiU came in first. This thread probably wouldn't be full of so much spin.

Though I don't see what's so bad about a range of 4%? Well... Until you look at the amount of reviewed games that is.

I love how you point out that if the situation were reversed the fans of the other consoles would spin the numbers, immediately before spinning the numbers yourself. The amount of hypocrisy on display here is frankly staggering. This is absolutely hilarious.

@OP

The fact that the PS4 managed to accomplish this in such a short span of time is somewhat impressive.

bouzane said:
Intrinsic said:

I love how you point out that if the situation were reversed the fans of the other consoles would spin the numbers, immediately before spinning the numbers yourself. The amount of hypocrisy on display here is frankly staggering. This is absolutely hilarious.

@OP

The fact that the PS4 managed to accomplish this in such a short span of time is somewhat impressive.

Spin? I didn't spin anything. I just pointed out a fact. PS4 accomplishing this while have more games that ere reviewed is impressive. 

That is not spinning. Just stating the obvious. But ah well, I'm a hypocrite if that makes you feel better.