By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NX to replace both Wii-U and 3DS? Rumor based on Iwata speech

Soundwave said:

To be honest I could see a unified approach actually getting *more* third party support than the "lets make a Nintendo PS4 and a VitaDS and support them with seperate libraries" (which is what most Nintendo fans here expect).

There's no real incentive for third parties to support a "me too" Nintendo console. Between the XBox and Playstation and even the PC, there's more than enough for a third party to feel like they're covering their bases. Making a port for a Nintendo system so people can play the same game in the same way is redundant.

But if you can share games on the go and at home ... well now that gets some third parties interested, because that's something the PS4/XB1/PC can't really do.

If I'm Square-Enix I want a portable + home version of Kingdom Hearts 3. There's a logical and clear incentive to do so, because the NX is different. Same goes for things like FIFA and Madden ... if they can make a portable version of the console games, even if they have to scale it down, then I think that has appeal to EA. 

The question is how much horsepower can Nintendo get into the machine and how far up and down can they scale the graphics, but mobile chips are getting much, much more powerful every year.

That is actually a brilliant point of view. If the NX handheld can run games with a power between WiiU and PS4, nearly all eastern developers would turn their heads to the system and start bringing big games, because the handheld market in Japan is still really profitable. And the system would have a decent installbase to guarantee decent sales because the system would have Mario, Pokemon, Youkai Watch, Zelda, maybe Monster Hunter... and those games sell hardware. And after watching the numbers of hardware sold, maybe western companies would become interested again! It could work! It would be wonderful!

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

With Iwata there is always someone who interpenetrates his words the wrong way.

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

It's a powerful mobile platform (handled / tablet) that as powerful as Nintendo Wii U or more probably close to Xbox One.

It is really predictable that NX will be a fusion between both.

Another NX thread lol.

OT: As other people already said, this is doesn't confirm anything. Nintendo is just keeping their secret.

A handheld gamer only (for now).

Around the Network

I don't think there will be one system replacing both the Wii U and 3DS. How should that work? Home consoles and handhelds have distinctive features and people buy them for different reasons. You can't have a concept like motion control on a handheld and dual screens don't work on home consoles (which the Wii U proved). I think Nintendo's future will feature 3 "platforms" to release their games on:
- Home console with something like motion control and multiple controllers (maybe sensors? Sensors will be huge)
- Handheld with touch capabilities (and again: Sensors are a possibility)
- Games for smart devices, distributed via App Store

--> All of this will be tied together via one single membership service. Some games will be relased for handheld + smartphone. Others for home console + handheld, etc. You'll be able to keep your games across platforms and play them on different systems as long as the controls allow for that. You'll only have to buy a Virtual Console game once.

The home console and handheld will feature similar architecture. This is exactly what Iwata said multiple times. He never mentioned a "fusion" concept, but he did talk about this. The home console will be more powerful but they'll share the same fundamentals. This will make it easy to release games across platforms *if it makes economic sense for a title*. Mario Kart could feature tracks, music, assets and other things that will be used in both versions but the home console version will run at 1080p and not all tracks and drivers will be the same.
Nintendo will also need less time to get accustomed to their new consoles as they'll only have to learn to program in one environment instead of two. Porting games across platforms will be easier. Virtual Console titles (and lots of eShop games) will be released for both platforms simultaneously. Maybe cross-platform online play will be possible for some titles.

I don't think we'll see a "fusion console" as in one piece of hardware that acts as console and handheld. It would satisfy neither market and fail spectacularly.

JNK said:

They said previous the NX will be a complete new system which will coexist next to wii u and 3ds. If this is right, all his quotes would still fit perfectly.

This is what they showed so far. 

The NX could be somethign that isnt a home console or a handheld. I dont know what it is then though.

Of course a NX-handheld or a NX-console has to coexist with wii u and 3ds for a while, especially if NX ain't backwards compatible. Your picture is describing a shared membership service for all these devices. You have your NNID and can log in with that account on you Wii U, your 3DS, one of your NX-devices, on your PC (Club Nintendo) and soon on your smartphone/tablet (Nintendo-app for iOS/Android). They are planning a combined eShop for 3DS, Wii U, NX-devices and you can probably buy new games for these systems via your web-browser on any device or via the Nintendo-app on your smartphone/tablet. You can probably see the status of your friends in the Nintendo-app and send them messages from your smartphone and check the Miiverse from your smartphone.

This connectivity is nothing new outside Nintendo's bubble... it's what consumers expect nowadays:

PS3 + PSP also coexist with PS4 + Vita... that doesn't mean that the PS4 ain't the successor of the PS3 or that the Vita ain't the successor of the PSP. Sony also has a shared membership service for all these devices. You have your PlayStation-account and can log in with that account on you PS4, PS3, Vita, PSP, on your PC (web-browser) and on your smartphone/tablet (PlayStation-app for iOS/Android). Sony has a combined PlayStation Store for PS4, PS3, Vita, PSP and you can buy new games for these systems via your web-browser on any device or via the PlayStation-app on your smartphone/tablet and remote install them on the compatible devices. You can see the status of your friends in the PlayStation-app and send them messages from your smartphone and check your trophies from your smartphone.

Xbox 360, Xbox One, Windows and Windows Phone also coexist with each other... that doesn't mean that the Xbox One ain't the successor of the 360. Microsoft also has a shared membership service for all these devices, I use the same Microsoft-account for my (RRoD) 360, my Xbox One and my Windows tablet... my desktop PC will join with Windows 10 and I have used that account for GfWL in the past. That account even works in the Microsoft-apps on iOS and Android; you can also buy 360- and XBO-games on your PC (web-browser) and on your smartphone/tablet (SmartGlass-app for iOS/Android/WP) and remote install them on the compatible devices. Some of Microsoft's marketplaces/stores are still separated, but they will be joined with Windows 10 soon. You can see the status of your friends in the SmartGlass-app and send them messages from your smartphone and check your achievements from your smartphone.

Even Steam has a shared membership service for many different devices (desktop PCs, laptops, tablets, smartphones, Steam Machines). You can buy Steam games for your account on a different PC (web-browser) and on your smartphone/tablet (Steam-app for iOS/Android) and remote install them on the compatible devices. You can see the status of your friends in the Steam-app and send them messages from your smartphone and check your achievements/library/inventory/news from your smartphone.

I don't really see how his speech comes to that conclusion...

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Dr.Vita said:

The question now is will NX be one console or a platform for multiple? I hope it's the latter because one systrm that also has to be mobile(tablet?) will be limited in power.

AnthonyW86 said:
Dr.Vita said:

The question now is will NX be one console or a platform for multiple? I hope it's the latter because one systrm that also has to be mobile(tablet?) will be limited in power.

The fusion idea does kinda require the portable and home variant to be somewhat close in power. There's no point in doing the idea to begin with if the gap between the home version and the portable version is so large that many/most games basically have to be redesigned to work on the other device. 

I think 300-400 GFLOPS for the handheld version and 700GFLOPS - 1 TFLOP for the home version is a reasonable gap.