By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What kind of impact will Forza 2 have in Japan?

konnichiwa said:

Oh on gametrailers it was stated like this:  Platforms: X360/PS3.

When I search for it now it is stated like this: Platforms X360.

Sorry my bet ^^''

In fact I am not up to date about this game I only downloaded the trailer last week and it was stated like that it was

not exlcusive.

The demo is awesome. Here's how to get it if you're not in Japan:

http://www.gamersreports.com/article/19/

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network

DKII said:
I think even if Forza 2 sells well in Japan it'll mostly be to the current 360 owners and won't push much hardware, racers just aren't that kind of killer app imo.

I agree. Which is why I put my two week console sales at 16k. It's a nice bump from MS's usual 7k in two weeks, but nothing overwhelming. 

rocketpig said:
DKII said:
I think even if Forza 2 sells well in Japan it'll mostly be to the current 360 owners and won't push much hardware, racers just aren't that kind of killer app imo.

I agree. Which is why I put my two week console sales at 16k. It's a nice bump from MS's usual 7k in two weeks, but nothing overwhelming. 

I agree about that but the game must then be translated to Japanese;

I guess Forza 2 will sell 30.000 Copies in Japan if it is translated, but will they translate it only for 30.000 buyers?

Edit: If they will translate it ? it will release later in Japan right? Is the release date the same in Japan as in the rest of the world?

konnichiwa said:

I guess Forza 2 will sell 30.000 Copies in Japan if it is translated, but will they translate it only for 30.000 buyers?

Actually, that's a good point. I think I'll download the Japanese demo and find out. :D 

Around the Network

Forza 2 will have no effect in the Japanese market whatsoever. Actually using Famitsu as a source to cite what the majority of Japanese gamers think really is just bad as Famitsu is a very hardcore gaming mag for Japan when usually it only represents a small percentage of gamers.

Legend11 said:
I think it would require a lot of rpgs and other games the Japanese enjoy before the 360 would ever be a contender in Japan. It would likely have to have release schedule much better than the competition. Brand loyalty for Japanese consoles would be a hard thing for Microsoft to overcome.

I'm not too sure about that anymore.

- Microsoft is continually building up their userbase in Japan. It's already more successful than its predecessor by a good margin.

- There is no GT-equivalent game out for the PS3 (discounting GT HD).

- There are more RPGs coming out for the Xbox.

- There are good equivalent software for the Xbox compared to the PS3 (as discussed in another recent thread).

- PS3's sales in Japan are weak (and continually dropping).

Therefore, if Microsoft can continue to release equivalent games before the PS3 does, it's a toss-up as to which console the Japanese will buy (apart from the Wii, that is). I do think it can swing both ways. I mean, looking at the scale of the situation, the PS3 line chart is looking increasingly like the 360's - release a game, you get a spike, which tapers off within 1-2 weeks.

I'm not suggesting that Japan will shift allegiance to the 360, but it hardly seems like the Japanese are continuing their allegiance towards the PS3 either.

Based on the aforementioned factors, I'd say the Japanese market has already sworn allegiance to one console: Their brand loyalty has shifted in favor of the Wii. IMHO, if this trend continues, there will be a battle between the PS3 and 360 for second place in Japan.

Perhaps Forza 2 will provide more insight on this. Can't wait to see the numbers. 

http://www.vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=X360&reg1=Japan&cons2=Wii&reg2=Japan&cons3=PS3&reg3=Japan&align=1&weekly=1 

your mother, If there's one thing we've learned in the past 6 months it's that there is no such thing as brand loyalty in Japan, otherwise the PS3 would be doing swimmingly.

I tend to agree with your other points though. There is a slight (and highly unlikely) window of opportunity for the 360 to do something against the PS3 in Japan. The more games that go multiplatform (PS3 - 360) then the better it looks for MS. 

They are both clearly on the wrong side of Japanese gaming trends though. 

rocketpig said:
konnichiwa said:

Actually, that's a good point. I think I'll download the Japanese demo and find out. :D 

This will be a stupid question but do you know how much the first one sold in Japan?

I can't find the game in the Japanese compare list :(.

Or does it haves an other name in Japan?

Microsoft should make a game about Sailor moon babes who will race to each other

develop it cheap and they will sell a lot more in Japan than Forza 2 will do.

SpaceJase said:
your mother, If there's one thing we've learned in the past 6 months it's that there is no such thing as brand loyalty in Japan, otherwise the PS3 would be doing swimmingly.

@Your mother  'SpaceJase' is right about that.