By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Nintendo doomed in Hardware?

Is Nintendo doomed in hardware?

Yes, it'll either go all... 16 22.22%

No, the NX will repair Nintendo up. 35 48.61%

Maybe? 14 19.44%

See results. 7 9.72%

Total:72
bunchanumbers said:
super6646 said:

Now these words are not here to be pleasant, its here to talk about a reality going on at Nintendo. The sales of its hardware have been abysmal at best. All along the line, sales are DOWN. The 3DS in reality isn't selling like hotcakes, its selling roughly 1/2 the original DS did. Yes, 1/2!!! While that's still 80 million sales, will next gen just be 60 or 40 million? And the Wii U, well at this point NOTHING can go lower than this, not even 10 million after 2 1/2 years. That's outright disappointing at best, and a product that leads to bankruptcy of Nintendo in a worst case scenario. 

Now this would be ok for Sony and Microsoft, since they have many other divisions that make money, and losing gaming wouldn't be all that bad. However, Nintendo is ALL gaming, and that's the bad part. The only thing that's really holding up Nintendo in terms of sales is Amiibo, and that's not something to be impressed about. And as each day passes, the more I worry about the NX. 

Personally, I think Nintendo is doomed with hardware. The final nail in the coffin was the Wii. The casual audiance bought these things up, but bought almost NOTHING in terms of software. Then, they abandoned ship for smartphone's, the there was nothing in terms of core gamers left. At this point, 2016 seems likely for a release date. Pricing at 299 and being slightly more powerful than the PS4 could help, though I'd worry indeed. So what do you guys think, is Nintendo doomed in hardware, or will it repair itself with the NX?

So since PS3 sold half of what PS2 did does that mean that its a disastrous flop? Because the 3DS to DS comparison is the same thing.

This! When you sell consoles with a successful gimmick like DVD player or motion control then expect inflated sales

Around the Network

Nintendo has still its fanbase which will buy any hardware which has nintendo games on it. I think the NX will do better, the home console version

SEGA_Beat said:
Doomed since 1889

this. /thread

super6646 said:

What do you mean, could you please explain this in more detail?

The hardware will be fine. It'll be more than fine. Seeing the steps Nintendo is taking now, steps they should have been taking late in the Wii's life cycle, they are prepping the NX to be a massive success. It's the future of Nintendo's software output and the NX's overall library variety that needs worrying about because if the NX fails, that will be why. Not the hardware, not the firmware, and not the expanded ecosystems, the niche-appealing games.

As for worrying about profits in lue of not having back up income, I think people are misunderstanding something. Nintendo is the only one of the big 3 currently even making a modest profit right now. Sony only had one profitable quarter in 7 years before hemeraging money again the quarter after, at the same time that they reached the 20m unit benchmark on the PS4, and the XB brand has never been a profitable one for Microsoft.

So the whole "this would be okay for Sony or Microsoft" line of thinking doesn't hold up at all. Both are loosing money while having systems vastly, vastly, more successful than the Wii U. You think the XBO would be around today if it failed the way it would have if they didn't drastically change what it was originally going to be? Imagine if the PS4 turned out to be another Vita-like failure. Think Sony as a company could survive an unsuccessful PS4, when it's currently struggling so harshly with a wildly successful PS4 as it is? Nah, dude. Both would be in different degrees of serious trouble if those consoles failed as the Wii U did. XB as a division, and Sony as a company.

Nintendo just posted an operating profit of over $200 Million, didnt they?

Around the Network
bunchanumbers said:

So since PS3 sold half of what PS2 did does that mean that its a disastrous flop? Because the 3DS to DS comparison is the same thing.

You're kidding, right? The PS3 was a disasterous flop. $200+ loss on every console sold at launch. Only breaking even after like 3 years on the market. That's not a flop to you? Because it was definitely a flop to Sony. The PS3 is one of the most company-damaging consoles in all of gaming.

gabzjmm23 said:
SEGA_Beat said:
Doomed since 1889

this. /thread

Not exactly an argument. They had their first loss in 3 decades during this gen.

I really hate when people mark the Wii as something that killed Nintendo's credibility as a console manufacturer. The Wii had an objective: attract a new audience to their system while reconnecting with their old userbase. And it did both wonderfully: from the Wii Sports, to the Mario Galaxies, to the SSBBrawl, to the Metroid Prime 3.. the Wii had a library which was both unique and very varied. It was not a console on par in power and online capabilities with the PS360, sure, but that was not the point of it.

As I see it, the point of the Wii was creating a new userbase, combining new gamers and more experienced gamers through a system easy to use an understand, and the Wii did that. The objective of the next Nintendo console, the WiiU, was to keep most of that userbase, so they can form an stable fanbase again. Nintendo would have been fine with a 30-50m userbase, as long as they could sell their games as well as on the Wii. The Wii did not failed in any sense. The WiiU did.

The WiiU almost every mistake you could make and had more roadblocks on its way than any other console in recent history (except the DreamCast). Nintendo couldn't make HD games as fast as they needed, so they relied on 3rd parties to fill the gaps. Those 3rd parties quickly abandoned the system after a couple of ports and new titles (even EA boycotted the system due to them wanting Origin on the U, something no console manufacturer would have allowed). The main selling point, the gamepad, became ignored quickly. I would say the power difference between PS4-XBone and WiiU made the console unappealing to 3rd parties, but I'm convinced even with the same specs as the PS4, they wouldn't have brought the same support as on the other consoles, if any at all.

Nintendo will not try the same things with the NX, simply because they can't afford it.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

spemanig said:
super6646 said:

What do you mean, could you please explain this in more detail?

The hardware will be fine. It'll be more than fine. Seeing the steps Nintendo is taking now, steps they should have been taking late in the Wii's life cycle, they are prepping the NX to be a massive success. It's the future of Nintendo's software output and the NX's overall library variety that needs worrying about because if the NX fails, that will be why. Not the hardware, not the firmware, and not the expanded ecosystems, the niche-appealing games.

As for worrying about profits in lue of not having back up income, I think people are misunderstanding something. Nintendo is the only one of the big 3 currently even making a modest profit right now. Sony only had one profitable quarter in 7 years before hemeraging money again the quarter after, at the same time that they reached the 20m unit benchmark on the PS4, and the XB brand has never been a profitable one for Microsoft.

So the whole "this would be okay for Sony or Microsoft" line of thinking doesn't hold up at all. Both are loosing money while having systems vastly, vastly, more successful than the Wii U. You think the XBO would be around today if it failed the way it would have if they didn't drastically change what it was originally going to be? Imagine if the PS4 turned out to be another Vita-like failure. Think Sony as a company could survive an unsuccessful PS4, when it's currently struggling so harshly with a wildly successful PS4 as it is? Nah, dude. Both would be in different degrees of serious trouble if those consoles failed as the Wii U did. XB as a division, and Sony as a company.

Like how Nintendo is focusing on casual gamers by making smartphone games. Nintendo STILL wants to target casual gamers, and that's going to be their downfall. Sure, they may have lots of "cash" in the bank. But irrelevancy can lead a company to doom faster than finanicially. I'm not saying the NX will be a failure (and I hope it isn't) but don't say Nintendo is doing the right steps, because right now I feel the exact opposite.

Carl2291 said:
Nintendo just posted an operating profit of over $200 Million, didnt they?

I never said they where doing bad financially, I said how their hardware sales where going down the drain. Nintendo is still profitable, but Radioshack was also profitable till 2010 or so. Now I'm not saying Nintendo will suffer the same fate, but if Nintendo is brushed aside, then what are they going to do?