By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Nintendo doomed in Hardware?

Is Nintendo doomed in hardware?

Yes, it'll either go all... 16 22.22%

No, the NX will repair Nintendo up. 35 48.61%

Maybe? 14 19.44%

See results. 7 9.72%

Total:72
super6646 said:
Carl2291 said:
Nintendo just posted an operating profit of over $200 Million, didnt they?

I never said they where doing bad financially, I said how their hardware sales where going down the drain. Nintendo is still profitable, but Radioshack was also profitable till 2010 or so. Now I'm not saying Nintendo will suffer the same fate, but if Nintendo is brushed aside, then what are they going to do?

This is a Nintendo that holds over 80% of the dedicated handheld gaming marketshare, right? The same Nintendo that is constantly expanding its first party efforts, creating (successful) new IP and finally opening up to the idea of working with other developers and platforms.

With regards to the industry itself, look closer at the charts. The entire industry is struggling right now, not just Nintendo.

super6646 said:

The handheld part I totally agree with, though console gaming is still quite strong (at least for Sony and Microsoft). Nintendo needs to ABANDON the casual market, and focus on core gamers. They can stick with handheld's as long as possible, but it'll eventually collapse to smartphone's.

Console gaming isnt currently quite strong for Sony and Microsoft. If anything, only Sony are seeing success right now with the PS4.

Look at the drastic measures that Microsoft have had to take with the Xbox One. Complete policy and strategy changes, huge pricecuts in a short period of time and only "competing" in less than a handful of countries Worldwide. Developers avoiding the console with games and content deals, Kinect turning into an after thought and seeing strong Gen-over-Gen gains made by the 360 be completely wiped out in mainland Europe and Asia.

The industry itself is in a rut, this isnt a problem that only sits on Nintendo's lawn. 

I think Im gonna lock this one up. Its too soon to be properly discussed as we do not know what Nintendo have planned for the new platform(s) or what Nintendo really has planned for mobile gaming development.

Feel free to take it up with the head mods if you think it should be unlocked.