By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Nintendo doomed in Hardware?

Is Nintendo doomed in hardware?

Yes, it'll either go all... 16 22.22%

No, the NX will repair Nintendo up. 35 48.61%

Maybe? 14 19.44%

See results. 7 9.72%

Total:72

Unless their next hardware isn't a dedicated gaming platform, pretty much.

Around the Network
ExplodingBlock said:
super6646 said:

Because we heard that statement before. Yes, the Wii U will very much dictate how the NX will do. I remember this thread not to long ago about Nintendo fans ready to jump ship. They said they where worried for the NX, and that it may be the last straw for them. 3rd party support, with the sales they'll get, good luck. Market it, its Nintendo, it sells on brand, right? No but seriously, this is what Nintendo still thinks! Why didn't they do all this for the Wii U in the first place? I hope to god the NX sells well, but it certainly doesn't look that way right now!

It still depends on what Nintendo does. They need to get launch titles that appeal to the market they are going for. Then they need to have a steady flow of games for NX. This is one of the things they did wrong with Wii U. Bad launch and alot of 2013 games got delayed. From the looks of it, Nintendo is putting alot of resources towards NX games. Even if a Nintendo fan jumped ship to Xbox/Playstation, if they see games that appeal to them, they will buy the NX. They need to stop trying to market towards the "family friendly" market and go for more core Nintendo fans that skipped the Wii U. 

Ok, but you still didn't talk about 3rd party support. Like it or not, Nintendo cannot make 100s of games every year. They need a steady stream of 3rd parties in order to help them during droughts, otherwise what happened to the Wii U will happen to the NX.

Nintendo Home console are doomed sales wise but they can make profits,Nintendo handheld are not doomed and next handheld will outsell 3DS

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

small44 said:
Nintendo Home console are doomed sales wise but they can make profits,Nintendo handheld are not doomed and next handheld will outsell 3DS

How so? Smartphone's have cannibalised the handheld market for the most part. They'll sell well, but will have a decrease in sales overall.

super6646 said:

Like how Nintendo is focusing on casual gamers by making smartphone games. Nintendo STILL wants to target casual gamers, and that's going to be their downfall. Sure, they may have lots of "cash" in the bank. But irrelevancy can lead a company to doom faster than finanicially. I'm not saying the NX will be a failure (and I hope it isn't) but don't say Nintendo is doing the right steps, because right now I feel the exact opposite.

No, like how Nintendo is spreading brand awareness by making smartphone games. This isn't about hardcore vs. casual. This is about building a brand and reestablishing a multimedia icon. In 2006, the Wii brand was bigger than Nintendo and bigger than Mario. In 2016, Nintendo is shaping up to turn that around. And yes, that means that they won't only appeal to the person who plays games an hour a day.

If you think that Nintendo will be irrelevant after releasing its iconic IP on a platform with an installed base of 1B, after proving they have the know how to create successes like Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Brain Age, and Nintendogs, which had the disadvantage of being tied to a $250/$150 price wall, I don't know what to say to you. Irrellevant after their new themepark right beside Disney World? Right.

You think that Playstation will ever be a relevant brand to anyone who isn't a gamer without taking steps like the R&C/Sly movies? No. Xbox without those TV shows? No. Nintendo lost relevancy because it didn't edequately take advantage of the monsterously valuable catalog of IP is has, not just in gaming, but as a whole. Mickey Mouse is relevant because he transended TV. Spider-Man is relevant because he transended comics. Nintendo will never become the superpower they can be until they transend video games.

Mobile is the first step. The problem with the Wii is that it didn't transend games, it just side stepped them. Sidestepping has no staying power. Releasing on mobile in the way they are doing is a good move. They control their brand for a wider audience without diluting their core base, which is hardware. Once they take the serious steps they need to into other areas, specifically film and television, they will reach peak relevancy.

But like I said, that's not the issue. The real worry lies in how Nintendo will support the NX from a software point of view, because even with a unified library of games, the types of games they put out just will not do the job. They need to expand their gaming division. Like, now. They need to make a Capcom-level power purchase, and they need to do what square intelligently did and create or buy a massive western division, because right now the NX is shaping up to be a revolutionary platform with niche-as-fuck Nintendo-only games on it. That's not good.

Around the Network
super6646 said:
MoHasanie said:
The console and handheld industry are dying. Its time for Nintendo to focus on other more profitable projects and make toys, tv shows, movies, and theme parks.

The handheld part I totally agree with, though console gaming is still quite strong (at least for Sony and Microsoft). Nintendo needs to ABANDON the casual market, and focus on core gamers. They can stick with handheld's as long as possible, but it'll eventually collapse to smartphone's.

It is really only strong for Sony. Last gen, there were 270m consoles sold. This gen there will probably be less than 200m sold. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

super6646 said:
ExplodingBlock said:
super6646 said:

Because we heard that statement before. Yes, the Wii U will very much dictate how the NX will do. I remember this thread not to long ago about Nintendo fans ready to jump ship. They said they where worried for the NX, and that it may be the last straw for them. 3rd party support, with the sales they'll get, good luck. Market it, its Nintendo, it sells on brand, right? No but seriously, this is what Nintendo still thinks! Why didn't they do all this for the Wii U in the first place? I hope to god the NX sells well, but it certainly doesn't look that way right now!

It still depends on what Nintendo does. They need to get launch titles that appeal to the market they are going for. Then they need to have a steady flow of games for NX. This is one of the things they did wrong with Wii U. Bad launch and alot of 2013 games got delayed. From the looks of it, Nintendo is putting alot of resources towards NX games. Even if a Nintendo fan jumped ship to Xbox/Playstation, if they see games that appeal to them, they will buy the NX. They need to stop trying to market towards the "family friendly" market and go for more core Nintendo fans that skipped the Wii U. 

Ok, but you still didn't talk about 3rd party support. Like it or not, Nintendo cannot make 100s of games every year. They need a steady stream of 3rd parties in order to help them during droughts, otherwise what happened to the Wii U will happen to the NX.

But like you said earlier, 3rd party games don't tend to sell well on Nintendo. They need to find a way to get COD selling at least 1 million on NX. Like I said, NX sales depend on decisions. In my opinion the best way to do this is have a system with updated specs. However, if they do go with the unified platform idea, it will be much easier for them. If you look at their game output for 3DS and Wii U combined in one year, it is quite alot. Imagine if they had all those games in one year on one platform.

ExplodingBlock said:
super6646 said:
ExplodingBlock said:
super6646 said:

But like you said earlier, 3rd party games don't tend to sell well on Nintendo. They need to find a way to get COD selling at least 1 million on NX. Like I said, NX sales depend on decisions. In my opinion the best way to do this is have a system with updated specs. However, if they do go with the unified platform idea, it will be much easier for them. If you look at their game output for 3DS and Wii U combined in one year, it is quite alot. Imagine if they had all those games in one year on one platform.

Unified platform is something that doesn't make sense, especially for handheld's and home console's. And this is a catch-22 now. 3rd parties don't sell well, yet people want them, and then don't buy them. So unless something really changes, it'll be the same scenario as the Wii U.

Yes, because there is a pattern of a decrease in 10M console sales per generation... even though the Wii somehow doesn't count :/

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

spemanig said:
super6646 said:

Like how Nintendo is focusing on casual gamers by making smartphone games. Nintendo STILL wants to target casual gamers, and that's going to be their downfall. Sure, they may have lots of "cash" in the bank. But irrelevancy can lead a company to doom faster than finanicially. I'm not saying the NX will be a failure (and I hope it isn't) but don't say Nintendo is doing the right steps, because right now I feel the exact opposite.

No, like how Nintendo is spreading brand awareness by making smartphone games. This isn't about hardcore vs. casual. This is about building a brand and reestablishing a multimedia icon. In 2006, the Wii brand was bigger than Nintendo and bigger than Mario. In 2016, Nintendo is shaping up to turn that around. And yes, that means that they won't only appeal to the person who plays games an hour a day.

If you think that Nintendo will be irrelevant after releasing its iconic IP on a platform with an installed base of 1B, after proving they have the know how to create successes like Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Brain Age, and Nintendogs, which had the disadvantage of being tied to a $250/$150 price wall, I don't know what to say to you. Irrellevant after their new themepark right beside Disney World? Right.

You think that Playstation will ever be a relevant brand to anyone who isn't a gamer without taking steps like the R&C/Sly movies? No. Xbox without those TV shows? No. Nintendo lost relevancy because it didn't edequately take advantage of the monsterously valuable catalog of IP is has, not just in gaming, but as a whole. Mickey Mouse is relevant because he transended TV. Spider-Man is relevant because he transended comics. Nintendo will never become the superpower they can be until they transend video games.

Mobile is the first step. The problem with the Wii is that it didn't transend games, it just side stepped them. Sidestepping has no staying power. Releasing on mobile in the way they are doing is a good move. They control their brand for a wider audience without diluting their core base, which is hardware. Once they take the serious steps they need to into other areas, specifically film and television, they will reach peak relevancy.

But like I said, that's not the issue. The real worry lies in how Nintendo will support the NX from a software point of view, because even with a unified library of games, the types of games they put out just will not do the job. They need to expand their gaming division. Like, now. They need to make a Capcom-level power purchase, and they need to do what square intelligently did and create or buy a massive western division, because right now the NX is shaping up to be a revolutionary platform with niche-as-fuck Nintendo-only games on it. That's not good.

Smartphone games, once again, targeting the CASUAL market. Nintendo should be doing the opposite instead, and going for the core gamer. Smartphone's games aren't going to be a seccess either just because of the Nintendo brandname. They need to create something fresh and new, if they want to be successful there. Otherwise, we'll see "Mario castle defense" (Clash of Clans clone) or "Mario Fruit" (Candy crush clone). If that's what we truly get, I'll be disappointed.