By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why BUY the Sony VITA?

KilleyMc said:
outlawauron said:

It being a PSP game (that will be released on PSN Day 1 and primarily bought by Vita owners) doesn't change anything.

They also already announced the 2nd Cold Steel title and it will be releasing next year.

Sorry, but I don't count PSP games as part of Vita's library, I was referring to the ones made for the Vita. But hey, I didn't know that Xseed already announced a second one, that will help improve my opinion of the handheld. Was it Sen II or Zero no Kiseki?

I do for the titles that will get no physical release and be released solely for the Vita audience. A good example would be Inazuma Eleven for 3DS. That's a 3DS game that saw no DS release was put on 3DS eShop for that userbase. I consider it part of my 3DS library.

And Sen II is what was announced. I hope they're able to get it out faster!

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:

From a commericial perspective, they would qualify. If commericial success was the qualifier, then I misunderstood the argument.

Because commercial success =/= "AAA".  Or else Minecraft would be the most AAA game in years.

I see "AAA" thrown around in the handheld space far too often without any attempt at defining it.  

spemanig said:

If you're not super crazy into anime-RPGs, there is frankly zero reason to own one.

Bolded is a misconception that I see thrown around far too often.  Vita has a lot of RPG's, no doubt, but somehow people seem to think every game with an anime aesthetic is an RPG.

Of games with anime aesthetics released/scheduled this year:

- RPG - 9
- Visual Novel - 6
- Puzzle - 1
- Action - 4
- Hunting - 1
- Platformer - 1
- Fighting - 3
- Horror - 1
- Shooter - 2
- Rhythm - 1

I can provide breakdowns if you're particularly interested.  As the list shows, RPG's are a large amount, but they're a long way from being close to being a majority.

Samus Aran said:

Has the Vita gotten any ports or remakes from franchises as big as Zelda or Dragon Quest? RE: R 2 is the closest thing I can think of. Which should have been on the 3DS btw lol.

Well, it's getting a Dragon Quest game.  And it's had Final Fantasy, which is bigger than either of those you listed.

Kresnik said:
outlawauron said:

From a commericial perspective, they would qualify. If commericial success was the qualifier, then I misunderstood the argument.

Because commercial success =/= "AAA".  Or else Minecraft would be the most AAA game in years.

I see "AAA" thrown around in the handheld space far too often without any attempt at defining it.  

spemanig said:

If you're not super crazy into anime-RPGs, there is frankly zero reason to own one.

Bolded is a misconception that I see thrown around far too often.  Vita has a lot of RPG's, no doubt, but somehow people seem to think every game with an anime aesthetic is an RPG.

Of games with anime aesthetics released/scheduled this year:

- RPG - 9
- Visual Novel - 6
- Puzzle - 1
- Action - 4
- Hunting - 1
- Platformer - 1
- Fighting - 3
- Horror - 1
- Shooter - 2
- Rhythm - 1

I can provide breakdowns if you're particularly interested.  As the list shows, RPG's are a large amount, but they're a long way from being close to being a majority.

Samus Aran said:

Has the Vita gotten any ports or remakes from franchises as big as Zelda or Dragon Quest? RE: R 2 is the closest thing I can think of. Which should have been on the 3DS btw lol.

Well, it's getting a Dragon Quest game.  And it's had Final Fantasy, which is bigger than either of those you listed.

Mere spin offs I'm sure.

Granted, I now need to remove Hyrule Warriors Legends from my list. :p Although it does have Tetra and the King of Red Lions, which the Wii U version doesn't have.

I stick with Dragon Quest VIII, could be big if they localize in the West (sadly knowing S-E...).

Oh and I also forgot to mention Bravely Second (FF in everything but name).

ps3-sales! said:
Aerys said:

Thé post hé quoted said " supported by nobody " , hé was wrong

I mean if you guys want to pay $200 for a handheld only to be supported by literally 100% $5-$10 games, then okay. Have fun. 

I'll be playing my handheld AAA on the 3ds. 

Good troll

If you want AAA you wont find them on 3DS, ill have fun with m'y ambitions japanese games

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Samus Aran said:
Kresnik said:

Mere spin offs I'm sure.

Granted, I now need to remove Hyrule Warriors Legends from my list. :p Although it does have Tetra and the King of Red Lions, which the Wii U version doesn't have.

I stick with Dragon Quest VIII, could be big if they localize in the West (sadly knowing S-E...).

If DQVIII counts, surely FFX and FFX-2 do? ;p Final Fantasy World is a Spin off, but so is Monster Hunter Stories.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network
MikeRox said:
Samus Aran said:

Mere spin offs I'm sure.

If DQVIII counts, surely FFX and FFX-2 do? ;p Final Fantasy World is a Spin off, but so is Monster Hunter Stories.

Yeah, those count! Just forgot about them!

Monster Hunter Stories looks like it has some great production values with those graphics though.

Kind of weird that FF seems to have skipped the 3DS pretty much completely though. Can't say that was a smart move.

JRPGS.

And that Smash rip-off with Sweet Tooth in it.

Samus Aran said:
MikeRox said:

Yeah, those count! Just forgot about them!

Monster Hunter Stories looks like it has some great production values with those graphics though.

Kind of weird that FF seems to have skipped the 3DS pretty much completely though. Can't say that was a smart move.

Heh fair do's then. Yeah Monster Hunter Stories appeals far more to me than the main series. However production values and graphics look like a quick low budget Vita title ;)

There are a few FF games on 3DS aren't there? I know 2 of them are music games, but FF music is great so I enjoyed  them. Didn't they also do a full blown Final Fantasy title for 3DS in Japan? Just like most other handheld games, it's failed to make the jump West.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

MikeRox said:

Heh fair do's then. Yeah Monster Hunter Stories appeals far more to me than the main series. However production values and graphics look like a quick low budget Vita title ;)

There are a few FF games on 3DS aren't there? I know 2 of them are music games, but FF music is great so I enjoyed  them. Didn't they also do a full blown Final Fantasy title for 3DS in Japan? Just like most other handheld games, it's failed to make the jump West.

Correct. Final Fantasy Explorers missed the boat.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

The primary reason I bought a Vita is because I felt like I had a lot of time to kill when away from home and core games on Vita looked pretty good. I have a 3DS but I'm pretty bored of Nintendo IPs and don't play JRPGs.

On Vita I played through numerous 1st party offerings, I played through some indie games, and I even replayed some ports of PS360 games. I still have plenty of games in my Vita collection that I plan on playing eventually. So I'm happy with my purchase even if Vita hasn't provided the most satisfying gaming experiences for my taste.

I personally don't have much interest in anime style Japanese games which sucks for me because that seems to be the direct Vita is going. Maybe I'll dabble in some of it... but not much.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)