By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Are the "PC Master Race" days over?

Main reason why I play on PC:

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
Conina said:
Conina said:
  • the base game of MS Flight Simulator gets patched automatically once a patch is available (both on PC and Xbox)
  • additional content (f.e.  the free world updates) has to be manually selected in the install manager of MS FS (both on PC and Xbox)
  • the installation of the additional content can take a lot of time... on PC it can be done in the background while you play a different game; on Xbox you can't play a different game while MS Flight Simulator installs additional content

SvennoJ said:

FS2020 installer is in game and keeps the GPU very busy (been a long time complaint), so no playing another (intensive) game while patching.

Loading the essential files with the download manager (before it starts the graphic engine of MS FS):

• around 5% of my CPU ressources for MS FS + 5% for the rest of my system
  • less than 1% of my GPU ressources
  • still 7 GB VRAM available
  • absolutely no problem to play (intensive games) with 90% CPU, 99% GPU and 85% VRAM ressources

Loading the "world update 10" within the game (after it starts the graphic engine of MS FS):

• around 10 - 15% of my CPU ressources for MS FS + 7% for the rest of my system
  • less than 30% of my GPU ressources
  • still 5 GB VRAM available
  • still no problem to play (intensive games) with 80% CPU, 70% GPU and 60% VRAM ressources

This was my experience starting FS2020 (not even updating)

And that's with just one mod (FBW A320) and a lean installation (everything removed I don't use) starting from m.2 SSD.

Anyway I spend far too much time chasing problems in that game

DX12 issues

Bugs at the poles

Bugs crossing the 180th Meridian (and general slowdown when going far North or South)

Bugs introduced by updates (yaw dampers broke on the A320 mod)

Unexplained engines surging on take off

Weird graphical glitches

Finding a workaround for rolling cache issues (resorting to ram disk, faster than SSD)

Debugging runway tears (which will crash a plane on landing)

The infamous 76T bug (appeared in many locations but was the worst here)

Control issues (broken in an update)

Streaming issues and slowdown

And so on. Maybe I'm just unlucky and run into every single issue in the game lol. There is still the slow down over time
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/after-playing-a-few-hours-fps-drops-from-40-to-5fps/389603/2944

And the always glitchy ATC
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/bug-logged-cannot-hear-atc-instructions-and-other-aircraft-suddenly-while-ai-copilot-still-responds/418969/458

But in this case, it's no better on console. In fact, the ones who bought it on Series X have no far fewer workarounds available.
Anyway, I've spend enough time trying to fix / keep FS2020 running. I was about to buy a bunch of planes but stopped myself in time.

CGI-Quality said:
super_etecoon said:

I wouldn’t want to be associated with anything that dubs itself a “master race.â€Â If you’re comfortable with that, have at it.

Eh, that's always been a joke taken seriously by people who chose to make issue of it. I certainly wouldn't deny myself a platform based on that.

It's so funny, Oh my god.  

BasilZero said:

"Decades of stress working" - sounds like you need another career if you are getting stressed out from using computers.

Done that, much better now :)

When I mean Limiting as in some games are digital only, what would you do in that case? Not buy them because they are digital only? Or what if your physical copy of a game breaks or becomes unusable and you cant find another copy, do you go out and pay hundreds of dollars for a physical used copy or do you mind buying a digital copy for a fraction of the price of it considering both Xbox and Playstation offer B/C - is what I meant in limiting yourself.

I play them, just don't collect them. I haven't had any physical copies break on me yet. Maybe some, but just having the box, the info on the back is usually enough to evoke all the good memories of playing that game. My memories appear to be object based. (Dumbest thing I ever did is throw way all the PC boxes, just keeping the CDs, when I moved overseas)

Actually I collect the physical editions while more often buying the digital version as well for convenience of not having to insert the disc. Or buy the physical edition later when it becomes available.

Streaming is gonna get bigger.

I used to be like you years ago in the case of movies and TV shows but ever since streaming for movies/tv shows got bigger in the last couple of years, I cant see myself going back to buying or renting physical media for them. I can see the same thing happening with video games in the future.

I still buy (4K) blu-rays and CDs next to streaming. The quality is always better in physical and I also collect music and movies. Streaming is hit and miss. Some days it doesn't work or I just get crap quality, too much internet congestion nowadays. And it's always limited to lossy compression, missing sound options and extras.

Eh, I dont have the attachment to physical media anymore, as long as I have access to whatever I want, dont care if its digital or physical - or even streaming.

I do, my memories are tied to physical objects

I still dont agree paying something at full price if you can easily avoid it, in the end one's own wallet is what matters the most, not craftsmanship.

Be glad there are people like me that don't mind paying full price, so you can get it for a discount sooner rather than later!

As for platform history, my first platform was Super Nintendo back in 1991. Got my first Playstation back in 2003. Got into PC gaming in 2011 and got into mobile gaming in 2015. I'm planning to get my first Xbox console (probably Series S) either this year or next year whichever and whenever I finish my WiiU or PS3 backlog , whichever comes first. I've been building up my Xbox collection in the last few months. B/C and digital makes things easier to get access to buy. Every game I wanted I was able to get it for like $8 or less.

I started on MSX then moved to PC in the 8086 days until 2008 when I stopped upgrading my desktop and later switched to using laptops. The most I ever spend on a PC in one go was close to 10,000 Guilders ($5,500) for a state of the art (back then) Pentium 90 with 19" monitor. PC gaming has gotten a lot more affordable since then!

PS1, N64, PS2, DC, GC, XBox all were second fiddle to PC gaming. Then 360, PS3 pulled me away from PC, turning into a 80/20 split favored to consoles. Wii, WiiU, Switch, PS4, PS4 Pro, PS5, Series X and a couple gaming laptops in between.

I'm cycling through my backlog/collection right now through Switch, PS3, PS4, 3DS and Steam.

Here's my memory wall (last updated 2020)

And to answer your final question, I dont limit myself to PC or to one ecosystem when it comes to gaming. Never did, never will.

I have lots of PC digital games as well, lost a ton as well. As in, direct download purchases I either don't remember anymore or lost the download codes for. Then there are all the collections from humble bundle, games on Steam, GoG, Epic, Origin, can't keep track of it all. My memory wall is far easier to keep track of. I can find anything with ease and simply sell the ones I don't want to keep. Can't do that with digital!

BasilZero said:

If people didnt buy games at full price, game prices would drop significantly more than they do now and horrible practices like lootboxes and gachas would stop. Because people buy games at full price and other practices, guarantee that more ways will be found to squeeze money out of customers. Already happening with Online MP, MTX, etc.

No, all games would become like mobile shovel ware... DLC, lootboxes and MTX were added because raising the initial price was taboo, while expectations (and competition) kept rising. Risks got bigger, so different revenue streams needed to be found to satisfy the ever growing hunger for bigger and prettier games.

'A' game developers died out, turned into indie games. Selling for much lower prices, small games, lower fidelity. Not that those aren't fun or can keep you busy for hundreds of hours, but that's not how you get the big blockbusters.

Anyways, Nice collection! I thought about doing something like that but I just like the minimal design of my entertainment room especially going heavy digital this generation lol

I dont plan to sell any of my games ever - so digital makes things all too easy for me. Dont have to worry about having shelves of boxes or extra space used up.

My game set up

PS4 Physical collection

Switch physical collection (with some PS3 and WiiU games I still have backlog along with my PSP, DS and other stuff)

Above them all is my PS3 and WiiU

And this is in another room - where I store my old games I finished or stashed away due to having digital replacements on modern systems.

I'll likely place them all in one of the extra rooms I plan to make for storage and will likely emulate the games on PC or just play whatever modern versions are available.

That is indeed very minimalist :)

Nice collection as well! I prefer that much more over a list of digital games. I don't really have a gaming room, apart from the one where my collection is. That room has projector mounted, 2007 1080p LCD projector, quite old now but saw very heavy use during the ps3 days.

I don't use it that much anymore since I never found a good affordable 4K HDR projector to replace it with. It is a great spot to play VR games since its dark already, no light bleed! PSVR got a lot of use there. Nowadays I fire it up when N24 is in the daily race rotation for GT Sport. Bigger screen always helps with racing, much more than 4K. Also did a lot of endurance races on there in GT7 which looks great in 1080p SDR as well. Same with Horizon Forbidden West which actually looked better in 1080p SDR at launch.

The living room where the Series X is now connected to the 4K HDR tv.

On the right our old 1080p LCD, good to play together or play something while (someone else) watching tv.

PS4 pro is currently in the downstairs living room (finished basement) connected to a 55" 4K HDR tv for racing. I don't have wired internet upstairs, better to race downstairs through lan cable. The projector room is wired as well, best place to race but only when going for longer stretches. (Got to get used to the 14FL light level, not a very bright projector)

My Laptop sits on the breakfast table where I flew around the world in FS2020. Godsend during lock down that game was.
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/exploring-the-world-in-the-beechcraft-bonanza/266981
That was the longest stretch I've played on PC in a long time, 322 days, total flight time 2,590 hours. (Although not all attended, autopilot over the empty parts) I also played Road 96, The big con and other smaller games while flying, the one big advantage of PC, multi-tasking.

My DDR setup, too old for that now (not mentally, physically) and enjoying Beat Saber more nowadays

And in the loft, Intellivision

More like a holiday novelty to set up, just like the mini retro consoles. $5 well spend on a box of old games including the machine :)
(That ugly cable splice is my addition haha)

The only things I don't enjoy are handhelds and streaming. BotW still looked great on the projector which is where I'll be playing the sequel as well. It would be nice from Nintendo to release a Switch console version so I don't have to go looking for the thing when I want to play. My kids usually leave it somewhere. Funny how that is, since I have kids I long back to wired phones, controllers etc. Phone is ringing, where is it.... Oh it's dead, needs to be charged :/

Anyway another reason I prefer consoles is the ease of moving them around. (I don't use standby). I have hdmi and power cables at the ready in all locations so just move the consoles to where I feel like playing. Laptop is a bit awkward in that way. Sure it can cast the image straight to the 4K tv but it's always a bit of a hassle (and image quality loss) so I only use that for streaming stuff that won't work directly on TV. (Don't ask me why, can't figure it out).

It's all about the games in the end. If I want to play something I'll find a way :)

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
super_etecoon said:

It's so funny, Oh my god.  

Clearly it worked. :)

Yep...I've seen the way all these "jokes" have worked over the years. 

Anyway, PC has always been a chore for me.  I could never figure out how to make a boot disk for Ultima 8 back in the day.  I bought a laptop brand new to play Starcraft 2 when it released and it slogged.  That was a wasted $60 for a game that I couldn't play 5 minutes of.  I like the immersion that PC games offer, but I've never been rich enough to be able to afford the upkeep, and obviously too much of a dingbat to be able to even operate the older titles.  These days the only PC I even have up and running is the one I dedicate to my work office.

zero129 said:

How long are we talking here?, the PS1 pretty much sold on piracy over here as everyone knew you could buy one and go to the market get a little thing that plugs into the back and let you play pirate games.

In fact it was one of the most easiest consoles to pirate on £20 dongle to plug into the back and away you go. PS2 wasnt much harder but needed a mod chip for awhile, still cheap to get one done. PS3 also was very easy to pirate on. So honestly im not sure what time frame your talking about here as piracy on consoles has always been a thing too, and like i said was huge over here and im sure in many other places in the PS1 days.

The nes and Snes Daysyou could get them floppy drives that let you copy your games on to them also wasnt expensive compared to buying 1 game, i can never think of a time when piracy wasnt also easy on consoles.

And like i said before you seem to always have problems with PC's so maybe its time to upgrade yours as im pretty sure you said you only had something like a 1060 in a laptop (So even weaker then a desktop 1060 id imagine)...

I cant think of anything more complicated with PC then consoles other then windows itself might get a bit of getting used to, but then if you want the console experience you can also just boot right into steam.. I turn mine on boots up really fast thanks to the NVME M.2 SSD. boot into steam start a game. My settings mostly go straight to ultra if its not already set. And if i did change any settings before well ya know they are still saved the next time i boot the game so no more messing around with settings for that game.

Updates are easier then they have ever been and game updates are no different then when a console game is updating...

And as for the topic i have seen more console gamers use the "PC Master Race" thing on this site to try slag PC gamers then PC gamers using it to brag.

Yeah no fucking kidding. Just now my youngest comes with a black screen on his laptop. It still works over HDMI yet the screen doesn't light up at all anymore, not even the boot sequence or HP logo showing on a forced reboot. And it's 14 days out of warranty, like wtf. The thing is just over a year old.

I'm trying system restore atm but I doubt it has anything to do with drivers as the HP logo would at least show on restart. The GPU is fine since it displays on tv and windows can't find any problems. So either the back light died or the cable connection. So at a loss once again.

It is time to upgrade mine as well since I'm typing on my good old mechanical indestructible Acer keyboard sitting on top of my malfunctioning laptop keyboard. First CTRL stopped working (of which it only has one, fun), then the left shift, then the letter D, then the 8, piece of shit. But it seems part of my budget for a new laptop is going towards a repair/replacement for my kids again :/

Windows restore completed, didn't do shit. I tried to remove the battery but the thing seems impossible to open. Tried to connect it to the tv again but now that doesn't work either anymore. (I guess windows restore did eff that up) Fn + F4 does nothing. No signal, black screen, just the (external) mouse and power light turn on.

Fuck PCs, nothing but stress inducing crap.

Now what :/

Looking at it further in the morning it seems to be a problem with the back light. When I boot it up I can very faintly make out the HP logo appearing and disappearing when the light reflects of the screen in just the right way. Brighten and darken keys do nothing and in a completely dark room it also shows absolutely nothing, no light at all. So I guess I'll bring it in for a new back light. Pain in the ass, but I guess better than having to replace the whole screen or laptop. First time I have this happen and just after a year of purchase.

(Laptop keyboards fail all the time though. I thought a more expensive gaming laptop would have a longer lasting keyboard but no. It had great reviews but I guess stuff isn't designed for heavy use anymore :/ One of the USB ports is also randomly disconnecting since a few months. It is 3 years old now, I guess that makes it ancient in today's new phone yearly mentality)

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 23 June 2022

CGI-Quality said:
super_etecoon said:

Yep...I've seen the way all these "jokes" have worked over the years. 

Anyway, PC has always been a chore for me.  I could never figure out how to make a boot disk for Ultima 8 back in the day.  I bought a laptop brand new to play Starcraft 2 when it released and it slogged.  That was a wasted $60 for a game that I couldn't play 5 minutes of.  I like the immersion that PC games offer, but I've never been rich enough to be able to afford the upkeep, and obviously too much of a dingbat to be able to even operate the older titles.  These days the only PC I even have up and running is the one I dedicate to my work office.

So the issue is the chore of it, not some silly, meaningless joke. That's more like it.

And, understandable. For plenty of people, it is a chore. I prefer a customizable experience though and you just don't get it anywhere like you do on PC.

Is this the master race you all talk about?

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

I must have written it elsewhere already, but since online platforms like Steam and GOG started making a large number of updated installers for old games, running old games on new Windows versions ceased giving problems. BTW many very old games released before the sorry period the worst DRMs like StarForce plagued PC games, install and run nicely on new HW and new Windows versions without needing updated installers.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

SvennoJ said:

And to answer your final question, I dont limit myself to PC or to one ecosystem when it comes to gaming. Never did, never will.

I have lots of PC digital games as well, lost a ton as well. As in, direct download purchases I either don't remember anymore or lost the download codes for. Then there are all the collections from humble bundle, games on Steam, GoG, Epic, Origin, can't keep track of it all. My memory wall is far easier to keep track of. I can find anything with ease and simply sell the ones I don't want to keep. Can't do that with digital!

Where did you get this breakdown from? Looks like an online database you can fill in but I've never seen it before? Ta