By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How long until ps4 slim ?

Around the Network

It depends on the apu process but I think if PS4 gets any slimmer, it will be anorexic.

Intrinsic said:

Dude you are really difficult lol

well you are not exactly in the position to say that,the way you are talking.........hehe

- PS2 had only one slim console, but had different hardware revisions. Just like how the PS4 has already had a few hardware revisions. The PS3 is the first PlayStation console to have more than one slim version. Its the exception not the rule, and for good reason. 

i know

but they cud easily turn it into a SUPER SLIM revision

and also PLAYSTATION has only been there for 20 years and they have changed things all the time drastically

it isn't like its been going for 100 years and only 1 exception is there,so that exception but not the rule idea doesn't really apply alot

- chip size is at the heart of a consoles size. It's jot about this being business or not, its about what is possible and what isn't. A 90nm chip doesn't just mean a bigger die, it means a bigger pcu (more power drawn which leads to more heat)  and bigger cooling solution. Dropping that to 60nm will allow you drop everything else too, which is why the PS3 got its first slim. A further shrink..... You get the idea by now. 

i even know that

i don't remember exactly but PS3 SUPER SLIM didn't really come becuase of die shrink like PS3 SLIM but other hardware shrinking

the same can pretty much be done with PS4

- I'll say again, it doesn't matter what Sony wants to make happen, it all boils down to what is possible.

yup but when profit in on the line,alot of impossible things really become possible

The PS4 slim will be based on a 14nm fab process at best or a 22nm fab process at worst. The people making the chips for Sony aren't even making any 22nm chips yet. And when they start, the console manufacturers don't get first dibs cause in the first year or two of any fabrication process yeilds will be low and thus chips will be too expensive. So they have to wait for the process to mature before they place orders. 

AMD is really working on it plus SONY also will really want it for cost-cutting so they will make it happen pretty soon

i understand that but this generation will most likely last till 2020 so we have alot of time for SUPER SLIM

enlightenedmaster said:
Intrinsic said:

Dude you are really difficult lol

well you are not exactly in the position to say that,the way you are talking.........hehe

- PS2 had only one slim console, but had different hardware revisions. Just like how the PS4 has already had a few hardware revisions. The PS3 is the first PlayStation console to have more than one slim version. Its the exception not the rule, and for good reason. 

i know

but they cud easily turn it into a SUPER SLIM revision

and also PLAYSTATION has only been there for 20 years and they have changed things all the time drastically

it isn't like its been going for 100 years and only 1 exception is there,so that exception but not the rule idea doesn't really apply alot

- chip size is at the heart of a consoles size. It's jot about this being business or not, its about what is possible and what isn't. A 90nm chip doesn't just mean a bigger die, it means a bigger pcu (more power drawn which leads to more heat)  and bigger cooling solution. Dropping that to 60nm will allow you drop everything else too, which is why the PS3 got its first slim. A further shrink..... You get the idea by now. 

i even know that

i don't remember exactly but PS3 SUPER SLIM didn't really come becuase of die shrink like PS3 SLIM but other hardware shrinking

the same can pretty much be done with PS4

- I'll say again, it doesn't matter what Sony wants to make happen, it all boils down to what is possible.

yup but when profit in on the line,alot of impossible things really become possible

The PS4 slim will be based on a 14nm fab process at best or a 22nm fab process at worst. The people making the chips for Sony aren't even making any 22nm chips yet. And when they start, the console manufacturers don't get first dibs cause in the first year or two of any fabrication process yeilds will be low and thus chips will be too expensive. So they have to wait for the process to mature before they place orders. 

AMD is really working on it plus SONY also will really want it for cost-cutting so they will make it happen pretty soon

i understand that but this generation will most likely last till 2020 so we have alot of time for SUPER SLIM

Errrrr, AMD isn't who decides if we get die shrinks or not. They probably already have blue prints for a 22nm and maybe even a 14nm version of the apu. But nothing happens till the foundries say so. 

Just so you know how far off we are, even amds latest GPU with hbm memory is still built on a 28nm process. 

And you keep talkinh about business and making profit. OK, think of this. When the foundries start pishing out 22nm Chips, the yeild wouldn't be so hot. The only ppl that can afford stuff like that are GPU manufacturers cause they typically hsrge a hefty premium on their products. Console manufactures will have to wait for the lines to mature before they start placing orders. 

Hopefully soon that's what I'm waiting for.

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:

Errrrr, AMD isn't who decides if we get die shrinks or not. They probably already have blue prints for a 22nm and maybe even a 14nm version of the apu. But nothing happens till the foundries say so. 

well they do all the reaserch and get it dionw,all in all its their job to give it to SONY on time

you know what you don't really decide where you shit goes,nothing happens till the flush water flows.............stop talking non-sense and minute details

Just so you know how far off we are, even amds latest GPU with hbm memory is still built on a 28nm process. 

thats there problem that they lag behind,they still have to keep the deadline to meet their contract with SONY

Broadwell is laready at 14nm

AMD 16 or 14nm are set to be released in 2016,so is nvidia

And you keep talkinh about business and making profit. OK, think of this. When the foundries start pishing out 22nm Chips, the yeild wouldn't be so hot. The only ppl that can afford stuff like that are GPU manufacturers cause they typically hsrge a hefty premium on their products. Console manufactures will have to wait for the lines to mature before they start placing orders. 

i understand that and probably it cud be delayed 1 year but no more than 1 year

and both NVIDIA and AMD are rumord to skip 20nm and straight go to 14nm

enlightenedmaster said:

well they do all the reaserch and get it dionw,all in all its their job to give it to SONY on time

you know what you don't really decide where you shit goes,nothing happens till the flush water flows.............stop talking non-sense and minute details

Talking nonsense? Hmmm.... AMD doesn't make their chips. They outsource the fabrication of those chips. Pls try and put that in perspective. 

thats there problem that they lag behind,they still have to keep the deadline to meet their contract with SONY

Broadwell is laready at 14nm

AMD 16 or 14nm are set to be released in 2016,so is nvidia

Make up ur mind. On one hand you say its their problem if the lag behind then say they have to give Sony this or that regardless. It's really beginning to seem you have no idea what ur talking about and more so that you have no intention to actually listen. 

Jumping straight to 14nm is the ideal thing to do and the only way meaningful benefits could be achieve. think of it this way.... A 14nm chip in a console is 2 years away from whenever they first appear in a GPU. 

i understand that and probably it cud be delayed 1 year but no more than 1 year

and both NVIDIA and AMD are rumord to skip 20nm and straight go to 14nm

OK, so if amd and nvidia get on 14nm next year (2016) and you aknowlege a one year delay (2017) doesn't that take us full circle to my original post of saying they earliest a PS4 slim comes is in 2017? 

Anyways.. I think we should just agree to disagree. 

Intrinsic said:

Talking nonsense? Hmmm.... AMD doesn't make their chips. They outsource the fabrication of those chips. Pls try and put that in perspective. 

i already know that as i already said

Make up ur mind. On one hand you say its their problem if the lag behind then say they have to give Sony this or that regardless. It's really beginning to seem you have no idea what ur talking about and more so that you have no intention to actually listen. 

its their porblem to get everything done

you get employed for your skills,it not like your employers will help you in everything

same way,its AMD's headache to get everything done

Jumping straight to 14nm is the ideal thing to do and the only way meaningful benefits could be achieve. think of it this way.... A 14nm chip in a console is 2 years away from whenever they first appear in a GPU. 

not necesarily,top making your own ideas

14nm fabrication is already possbile for CPU's

they only have to get the research done on the GPU's and they cud be working separatly on APU's

its the manufacturing,that has to be perfected not research,if mnaufacturing is online then as soon as research is done.it can produce

also rumors were,back in 2014 they had already shrunk PS4 APU size already and finalized

OK, so if amd and nvidia get on 14nm next year (2016) and you aknowlege a one year delay (2017) doesn't that take us full circle to my original post of saying they earliest a PS4 slim comes is in 2017?

yeah but i still think we will have a PS4 SLIM in September 2016

CosmicSex said:
It depends on the apu process but I think if PS4 gets any slimmer, it will be anorexic.

the concpets on the net for PS4 SLIM make it look much much cooler and not anorexic atall

2017, 4 yrs after the launch of PS4. 2016 still seems too soon.

The PS2 slimline was released 2004, 4 yrs after the launch of the original PS2.