By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How long until ps4 slim ?

enlightenedmaster said:
globalisateur said:
Intrinsic said:

And LOL at ur belief that from 28nm you can easily go to 7nm... If we see a 7nm chip by 2025 that would be a technological breakthrough. You obviously aren't aware of all the problems and complications of die shrinks. 

First 7nm chip is already out (IBM, GlobalFoundries, Samsung, SUNY):

http://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2015/07/ibm-unveils-industrys-first-7nm-chip-moving-beyond-silicon/

hehe

'Intrinsic' has this habit of pushing everything long into the future and beahving like an expert on the stuff

nice to see 7nm chip,most probably we will see 20nm or 14nm next year 2016 for PS4 SLIM & XBONE SLIM

then probably just proabably,if they are able to make it,see 7nm in PS4 SUPER SLIM & XBONE SUPER SLIM in 2018-19

They haven't even started on the larger scale manufacturing plant for 7nms. Building that plant alone will take something like 2 and a half years, then production will start, and I can assure you Sony won't be first in line for those chips.

Around the Network
globalisateur said:
Intrinsic said:

And LOL at ur belief that from 28nm you can easily go to 7nm... If we see a 7nm chip by 2025 that would be a technological breakthrough. You obviously aren't aware of all the problems and complications of die shrinks. 

http://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2015/07/ibm-unveils-industrys-first-7nm-chip-moving-beyond-silicon/

Its out? Sigh.......

You should read that article again, and more on what that chip really signifies. 

Also, I did say if we saw a 7nm chip before 2025 it would be considered a technological breakthrough. Don't see how I was wrong being all the hoopla being made over IBMs accomplishment. 

Teeqoz said:
enlightenedmaster said:

hehe

'Intrinsic' has this habit of pushing everything long into the future and beahving like an expert on the stuff

nice to see 7nm chip,most probably we will see 20nm or 14nm next year 2016 for PS4 SLIM & XBONE SLIM

then probably just proabably,if they are able to make it,see 7nm in PS4 SUPER SLIM & XBONE SUPER SLIM in 2018-19

They haven't even started on the larger scale manufacturing plant for 7nms. Building that plant alone will take something like 2 and a half years, then production will start, and I can assure you Sony won't be first in line for those chips.

yup,but things move fast once research has done.

and also the way mobile devices are popular today,they can be really fast and mass production in quick time

i know SONY won't be first in line,but they will be one of the top consumers

i expect the first 7nm if there isn't any fuck-up and this IBM thing is real by mid-2017 and by 2018-2019,PS4 SUPER SLIM & XBONE SUPER SLIM can be ready

enlightenedmaster said:
globalisateur said:
Intrinsic said:

hehe

I hope you are still here when there is no slim PS4 next year. And when there are no 7nm chips in 2018/19....

The latter is too far away, so I'll just settle for next year to begin with. 

Intrinsic said:
enlightenedmaster said:

hehe

I hope you are still here when there is no slim PS4 next year. And when there are no 7nm chips in 2018/19....

The latter is too far away, so I'll just settle for next year to begin with. 

i will be there,still this isn't a 4th grade competition abt who wins.........that seems to be the way you're taking it

also,abt 7nm - i expect it to be there next gen only but hope it will be this gen and actually can be around 2019 as back in 2012,SONY and MICROSOFT were still trying to prie-cut PS360 will do the same for PS4-XBONE

Around the Network
enlightenedmaster said:
Teeqoz said:
enlightenedmaster said:

hehe

and also the way mobile devices are popular today,they can be really fast and mass production in quick time

i expect the first 7nm if there isn't any fuck-up and this IBM thing is real by mid-2017 and by 2018-2019,PS4 SUPER SLIM & XBONE SUPER SLIM can be ready

Haha, okay, you wanna bet?

The first 22nm chip ever made was made in 2008. PS4 and XBO launched in 2013 with 28 nm chips, just to give you a little idea of how far off 7nm chips are in consoles. Yet you expect it to go from first 7nm chip ever in 2015 to PS4 super slim using 7nm in 2018/2019?

Intrinsic said:

Its out? Sigh.......

You should read that article again, and more on what that chip really signifies. 

Also, I did say if we saw a 7nm chip before 2025 it would be considered a technological breakthrough. Don't see how I was wrong being all the hoopla being made over IBMs accomplishment. 

Fair enough.

The latest best fabrication processes aren't cheap. It cost more money to be at the cutting edge. Sony and Microsoft will be using the fabrication process with the best price to keep console prices low. Cutting edge fabrication benefits cutting edge hardware but ps4 and xbone will be low performance hardware in a few years. They didn't even start as high performance. There will be companies making portable hardware and the latest greatest cpu's and gpu's well ahead of sony and microsoft consoles in the queue.

Also slim models aren't always better. Sometimes the cost reduction can be dramatic, lower quality fans, inferior psu's, weaker cases etc. The main motivation for slim models is often cost reduction. Sometimes functionality disappears or ports are removed. Think of the wii, first one had everything, second version looked the same but lost gamecube compatibility and the third one is best wiped from memory.

Teeqoz said:
enlightenedmaster said:
Teeqoz said:
enlightenedmaster said:

hehe

The first 22nm chip ever made was made in 2008. PS4 and XBO launched in 2013 with 28 nm chips, just to give you a little idea of how far off 7nm chips are in consoles. Yet you expect it to go from first 7nm chip ever in 2015 to PS4 super slim using 7nm in 2018/2019?

nope,i don't gamble in real life nor on internet

22nm chip being made in 2008 means not much as PS360 cudn't have used them as SONY & MICROSOFT stopped outright investing in PS360 in 2009-2010

haswell,the first Intel 22nm chip came in at 2013

but this time Intel is already going to maka Canonlake 10nm in 2016-17 so we are not far off

4years to 2019 is good enough to get it into PS4 SUPER SLIM & XBONE SUPER SLIM

enlightenedmaster said:
Teeqoz said:

nope,i don't gamble in real life nor on internet

22nm chip being made in 2008 means not much as PS360 cudn't have used them as SONY & MICROSOFT stopped outright investing in PS360 in 2009-2010

haswell,the first Intel 22nm chip came in at 2013

but this time Intel is already going to maka Canonlake 10nm in 2016-17 so we are not far off

4years to 2019 is good enough to get it into PS4 SUPER SLIM & XBONE SUPER SLIM

No, I mean the PS4 didn't use 22 nm chips even.

Haswell wasn't Intel's first 22nm chip. Ivy Bridge was, and it launched in 2012. PS4/XBO launched one and a half years later using 28 nm, not 22nm.