By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto: We're Not Interested In High End Specs (Hardware)

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
LOL they let WiiU die to make another system that is underpowered?

To me they did a big fucking mistake, they made wiiU expensive because of the controler that no one cares AND they made the WiiU too damn late ending with one underpowered console against ps4/xbox.

I dont understand how the hell the people that are not hardcore nintendo fans (and cant live without their games) will think about buying a nintendo system that will most likely fail, dont get third party support and have a 2 or 3 years of life again.
Always 2 steps behind, they will reach a point someday that even the most hardore fans will not care about it anymore.

shut up already. stop that bunch of bullshit. you should feel ashamed for writing so much baseless haterism.

Around the Network

I've just about had it with listening to Miyamoto.

I think overall I'd be ok with a Nintendo handheld in the range of 300 GFLOPS and the home version in the range of 900 GFLOPS, both using the same mobile components.

If they're going to do this though the home version better have some wacky ass new idea. Like really out there, the more different they can make it, probably the better from a marketing POV.

Soundwave said:
I think overall I'd be ok with a Nintendo handheld in the range of 300 GFLOPS and the home version in the range of 900 GFLOPS, both using the same mobile components.

If they're going to do this though the home version better have some wacky ass new idea. Like really out there, the more different they can make it, probably the better from a marketing POV.

I don't really think a "wacky" new idea is necessary, the Wii Remote wasn't successful just because it was "wacky", it was successful because it was the perfect controller for new or non-hardcore gamers. A controller that pretty much anybody could pick up and have a firm understanding within a few minutes unlike the traditional dual analog, 8 face button, 4 should button design which is intimidating and complex for people who aren't longtime gamers.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

This has been Nintendo's MO since they got into the industry. Nothing shocking here.

Anyone that thought nintendo was gonna splurge on some top-of-the-line console either hasn't been paying attention or doesn't know Nintendo. Granted they HAVE had strong consoles in the past but it just doesn't seem very realistic at this point when they can safely release weaker consoles.

Around the Network
Random_Matt said:
If a new HH is coming out, is it worth me picking up a N3DS this weekend?

If you want to play the games now, but not if you want to spend less money (if the next one is backwards compatible).

Can't wait for The Zelder Scrolls 3: Breath of The Wild Hunt!

IMO this will be the first time that "power doesn't matter" for Nintendo. We are still a while away from 4k and despite rhetoric, both Sony and MS will make as much/for long as they can, off PS4XB1. I expect 2020 for their next gen and a new resolution. standard for home cons.

So if 1080p 60/30 for 3rd parties is the side-goal I think Ninty can easily meet that requirement in 2017, at the arbitrary PS4 level without having to mention "high end specs" (an absurd notion).

The whole Fusion idea is about Nintendo supporting itself, and if there's enough horsepower then 3rd parties can provide the bonus content, if the NX builds a large enough install base with demand.

I expect at minimum a 500+ gflop HH, and 1-2 tflop range for home console. Wii U launched too late to enjoy 3rd party multiplt success, but if they launch in 2017 they will have 2-3 yrs easily. Again, this will be the first time power doesn't matter, b/c the new standard is a while away and nintendo will be more self reliant than ever in terms of sw ("fusion"). The power will be a bonus for NX at this point in time, its really about content features and services IMO. Nintendo has plenty of time to get all that right so I'm confident NX will be nintendo's next big hit.

se7en7thre3 said:
IMO this will be the first time that "power doesn't matter" for Nintendo. We are still a while away from 4k and despite rhetoric, both Sony and MS will make as much/for long as they can, off PS4XB1. I expect 2020 for their next gen and a new resolution. standard for home cons.

So if 1080p 60/30 for 3rd parties is the side-goal I think Ninty can easily meet that requirement in 2017, at the arbitrary PS4 level without having to mention "high end specs" (an absurd notion).

The whole Fusion idea is about Nintendo supporting itself, and if there's enough horsepower then 3rd parties can provide the bonus content, if the NX builds a large enough install base with demand.

I expect at minimum a 500+ gflop HH, and 1-2 tflop range for home console. Wii U launched too late to enjoy 3rd party multiplt success, but if they launch in 2017 they will have 2-3 yrs easily. Again, this will be the first time power doesn't matter, b/c the new standard is a while away and nintendo will be more self reliant than ever in terms of sw ("fusion"). The power will be a bonus for NX at this point in time, its really about content features and services IMO. Nintendo has plenty of time to get all that right so I'm confident NX will be nintendo's next big hit.

I think Nintendo is in a position where they really don't care about getting multiplats anymore, instead with the unified concept like u said they will become more self reliant since it is essentially supporting 1 platform instead of 2 and the handheld side still gets a bunch of quality Japanese 3rd party exclusives every year along with the kid/family friendly 3rd party titles both sides get and a ton of indie titles. For example, here is the combined lineup of known 3DS+Wii U titles this year in North America.

SpongeBob HeroPants

Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse

Pokémon Shuffle

Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars

Codename S.T.E.A.M.

Fossil Fighters: Frontier

Mario Party 10

Lego Ninjago: Shadow of Robin

Story of Seasons

Xenoblade Chronicles 3D

Boxboy!

Pokémon Rumble World

Etrian Mystery Dungeon

Stretchmo

Puzzles & Dragons Z+Super Mario Edition

Splatoon

Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker

Attack on Titan: Chains of Humanity

Lego Jurassic World

Dr. Mario: Miracle Cure

Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3

Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold

Paddington: Adventures in London

Garfield Kart

Little Battlers Experience

Devil's Third

Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer

Super Mario Maker

Rodea the Sky Soldier

Hatsune Miku

Mighty No. 9

Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon

Return to Popolocrois

Legend of Legacy

Project X Zone 2

Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice

DragonBall Z: Ultimate Budokan

Kung Fu Panda: Legendary Legends

Yoshi's Woolly World

Chibi-Robo: Zip Lash

Senran Kagura 2

Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash

Lego Avengers

Just Dance 2016

Stella Glow

Skylanders: Supercharged

Fatal Frame V: Maiden of Black Water

Adventure Time: Investigations

Lego Dimensions

Star Fox Zero

Guitar Hero Live

Yokai Watch

Disney Infinity 3.0

Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival

Legend of Zelda: Triforce Heroes

Xenoblade Chronicles X

I'm sure there are many I'm missing along with other titles yet to be announced and that's not including the dozens of indie titles. So ya, with a unified concept there is plenty of support even without the big multiplat titles that the competitors get. If games like Madden/Call of Duty/etc. do show up than that's just a nice bonus but they aren't absolutely necessary.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
se7en7thre3 said:

I think Nintendo is in a position where they really don't care about getting multiplats anymore, instead with the unified concept like u said they will become more self reliant since it is essentially supporting 1 platform instead of 2 and the handheld side still gets a bunch of quality Japanese 3rd party exclusives every year along with the kid/family friendly 3rd party titles both sides get and a ton of indie titles. For example, here is the combined lineup of known 3DS+Wii U titles this year in North America.

SpongeBob HeroPants

Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse

Pokémon Shuffle

Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars

Codename S.T.E.A.M.

Fossil Fighters: Frontier

Mario Party 10

Lego Ninjago: Shadow of Robin

Story of Seasons

Xenoblade Chronicles 3D

Boxboy!

Pokémon Rumble World

Etrian Mystery Dungeon

Stretchmo

Puzzles & Dragons Z+Super Mario Edition

Splatoon

Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker

Attack on Titan: Chains of Humanity

Lego Jurassic World

Dr. Mario: Miracle Cure

Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3

Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold

Paddington: Adventures in London

Garfield Kart

Little Battlers Experience

Devil's Third

Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer

Super Mario Maker

Rodea the Sky Soldier

Hatsune Miku

Mighty No. 9

Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon

Return to Popolocrois

Legend of Legacy

Project X Zone 2

Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice

DragonBall Z: Ultimate Budokan

Kung Fu Panda: Legendary Legends

Yoshi's Woolly World

Chibi-Robo: Zip Lash

Senran Kagura 2

Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash

Lego Avengers

Just Dance 2016

Stella Glow

Skylanders: Supercharged

Fatal Frame V: Maiden of Black Water

Adventure Time: Investigations

Lego Dimensions

Star Fox Zero

Guitar Hero Live

Yokai Watch

Disney Infinity 3.0

Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival

Legend of Zelda: Triforce Heroes

Xenoblade Chronicles X

I'm sure there are many I'm missing along with other titles yet to be announced and that's not including the dozens of indie titles. So ya, with a unified concept there is plenty of support even without the big multiplat titles that the competitors get. If games like Madden/Call of Duty/etc. do show up than that's just a nice bonus but they aren't absolutely necessary.

Then Nintendo needs to come out and say that. They have to say we are no longer going to make 3rd parties a priorty. And will take full responablity for 5 years ourselves. That means they have to ramp up poroduction, and release games to ALL franchise. To fill in all time periods.

archer9234 said:

Then Nintendo needs to come out and say that. They have to say we are no longer going to make 3rd parties a priorty. And will take full responablity for 5 years ourselves. That means they have to ramp up poroduction, and release games to ALL franchise. To fill in all time periods.

Over half of the games I listed were 3rd party so they would still be a priority, it just wouldn't be the same 3rd party games that drive PS/XB sales. I also don't think Nintendo can make it any more perfectly clear that they are not interested in fighting for those games, "were not interested in high end specs" pretty much declares "we don't care about AAA multiplats".