By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto: We're Not Interested In High End Specs (Hardware)

teigaga said:

Its actually the most risky one hence the Wii U's failure. NES,SNES, N64, Gamecube all managed to balance power and affordability. Investing money in something there may not be an audience for is always more risky then going the traditional route where you just compete for a portion of already established pie. Provided they sell the system a breakeven at launch I think the traditional route is safest, but it has the least potential in terms of making tons of profit

Like I've been saying since  post #1 I too believe it is smart for Nintendo to aim at affordability when making their consoles. But I believe there is no risk for Nintendo in trying to come up with a new peculiar approach to gaming that could possibly seduce casuals into buying their new console, as they did with the WiiMote, because said console would be built within that same affordability, and even if they don't get that much sales, with whatever interesting new gaming concept they come up with, there wouldn't be much losses for Nintendo because as long as the console is affordable and doesn't bleed money: Nintendo lives another day, another generation to try again.

I know that the best strategy for Nintendo could be to (like I said previously) switch the tables drastically somehow and get to bring people from the Micro and Sony fanbase towards them. Easier said than done though, specially when Nintendo directors push down and look down upon gameplay mechanics and artistic visions of games that are popular for both of those fanbases.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Around the Network

Is there even a way for nintendo to make a console that is both, more powerful than the PS4 and at the same time prices at about 300-350$ without taking a loss on harware? Seeing that Miyamoto thinks the 350$ pricepoint was too high already I don't see how NX could really compete. But if they want any kind of third party support it will have to.

guiduc said:

Is it REALLY all about technical issues? I might say it's about poor marketing, price point and the vulgar Gamepad no one uses or understands the purpose.

Because Nintendo got right some of the market's expectations: Miiverse is quite a good first attempt to boast a social Facebook-like network so gamers can interact together and share their experiences. And it is quite active I might say. Plus, they understood the value of having Amazon Video, Hulu Plus and Netflix as pay-to-suscribe streaming services, which are the way of the future.

Wii U is far from being a bad console. What it lacks is groundbreaking games like Galaxy, Wii Sports were. And don't tell me it was about motion controls: Galaxy would have been very fine without them. Most of the games would have been fine without them (look at DKCTF versus Returns). 

It is about a lot of factors, but high-end specs seem to me like the least of them. 

Technical issues is one, because content and image stem from it.  Nothing about Wii U is cutting edge or exciting to the public.  I have one, it's fun, but no one regards it as high-tech or exciting.  It also lacks virtually all AAA third party content.

Motion controls did their job by making Wii fresh and exciting to the masses.  It's not about marketing, it's about image.  Wii didn't need a single add for people to be excited about it, because controling things with motion was really cool and never seen before.

For Nintendo to be relevant in the gaming idustry, they need a system that is exciting and content to play on it.  Decent tech specs are a part of that for both image and 3rd party support.  There are other factors as well, but that's a big one.  Sure, if Nintendo can come up with a way to make NX seem fancy without a decent processor great.  And if they can fill it with exciting games without the rest of the software industry, awesome.  But barring some great innovations and a dramatic increase in software output and diversity, Nintendo should throw a few more flops and gigs in their next system.

It still baffle me that people complain about paying over 200,00 (never say over 600,00) for a game console they will play for 4-10 years but pay 800-1000 for cellphones yearly and don't complain about 60,00 dolar games. A system costing 4x one AAA game is cheap (well I preffer paying 10-20 on my games buying it old or used and only a selection of games deserving full price from me). When the average attach ratio is 9 games then you are looking at people expending 3-4x more in sw than hw.

I would probably pay 600-1000 in ps5 if it show it's worth it. And would love if new games gone to 30 to compensate like PC have.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

SuperNova said:
Is there even a way for nintendo to make a console that is both, more powerful than the PS4 and at the same time prices at about 300-350$ without taking a loss on harware? Seeing that Miyamoto thinks the 350$ pricepoint was too high already I don't see how NX could really compete. But if they want any kind of third party support it will have to.

X1 is selling for 350 and ps4 is possibly closer to 50 profit per console.

So Nintendo could release today wiiu2 without gamepad for 350 or 400 with it and very close to ps4x1 specs.

By Holiday 2016 they could possibly go with gamepad for 250 and with it 300, maybe even lower without being far from ps4. And both cases with no finnancial hit. But from the interview it seems like they want to go more towards 200,00 with gimic. So I wouldn't expect something close to x1 powerwise. Maybe 80% of x1 power... For the moment released it may be enough, but 2 years later and ps5/nextbox it will be even worse than now.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Pavolink said:
Soundwave said:
Miyamotoo said:

Why exactly you don't buying NX? Because it will not have top speeds available in hardware market!? 

Reggie, Iwata and Miyamoto for Nintendo made generation that was most successful in Nintendo history, more than 255m consoles and around 2 billion pieces of software. This gen is not great for Nintendo, but that doesn't mean that next will not be better.

You know who basically gets overlooked here?

Atushi Asada. Most Nintendo fans don't know the name but he was Nintendo's chairman (yes above Iwata) from about 1999-2004, self appointed by Yamauchi to basically run the ship until Iwata got his legs under him. 

The Wiimote is directly Asada's decision according to the creator of the Wiimote, who took the idea first to Microsoft and then Sony. Rebuffed he then went to Nintendo as a last resort. According to him, Asada stopped his presentation midway through and an arguement ensued with the "Nintendo team" (about 8 people). Asada finally said something that shut everyone up, and he directly bought the rights to the Wiimote and bought a stake in the company. 

I think Iwata's role might honestly be overstated. Asada stepped down from Nintendo in summer 2005, but by then the things that would propel the Wii to success were already in place (Wiimote, Wii Sports, Wii Fit). 

The team of Iwata-Miymaoto-Takeda consolidated control of the board of directors post-2010, but this is also the time where many things start to fall apart for Nintendo. Maybe those three aren't as smart as we've made them out to be. 

Atushi Asada can still return to Nintendo?

He's 82, unfortunately.

Link looks at Nintendo fanbase and says, "sorry guys, I got morons on my team"

God job Nintendo. Keep your head above the nonsense

When the Wii U came out with its second screen on the controller I was hoping it was going to be like having a big DS with better specs. I'd hoped to see games like Ace Attorney and Professor Layton being made for the Wii U, but they never eventuated. The games the Wii U have are good (well the first party ones, anyway) but by now I would have expected many more titles of greater variety.

I still picked a Wii U up recently second hand (sorry Nintendo; couldn't justify buying a new one) because there's a few games on there I want to have, but its sad to see the Wii U's future seems to be not-so-bright anymore.

Couple things:

Price point did not kill the WiiU; it was a combination of missing out on 3rd Party games, being inferior power-wise and lacking the online abilities of competitors among other things.

You don't have to make the most powerful console but you do have to ensure that you arn't handcuffing 3rd party developers when they are developing cross platform games.  Lol, few people care if your system saves a little electricity, makes less noise, generates less heat, or is smaller when it cannot perform like it's competitors.  You can always release a more efficient SKU down the road, like sony and microsoft.

...the cycle continues, Nintendo is out of touch with the average gamer and seemingly has not learned their lesson.  Their business model is stagnate.