By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is there any rpg that can match the greatness of Final Fantasy X?

FFX is my second favorite PS2 game. It is the only FF game in which I find combat satisfying and meaningful.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Around the Network

terranigma

xenoblade chronicles

skies of arcadia

Pretty much anything.

In my opinion, FFX is not a good JRPG at all. The story and atmosphere may be good but the battle system is slow and lame, especially if you want to play in an efficient way. In order for everyone to get experience you have to use everyone in every battle which is a huge design flaw in my opinion. If you just play how you like to have fun, you are constantly penalized by the developers, you have to play the game exactly how they want you to play it.

There are so many better RPGs which do everything right like Chrono Cross, Xenoblade Chronicles, FF6-8, Lufia 2, Dragon Quest 5 PS2 or Xenosaga 3.

FFX is a great RPG, but it's short of being amazing.

Off the top of my head some RPGs I found to be better:

- Pretty much FF6-FF9 were better, (FF9 is the greatest of all time)
- Chrono Trigger
- Secret of Mana
- Ni No Kuni
- a number of Zelda games too lazy to list.

Around the Network

Hmm I have a good relation with FFX. Really loved it aswell and their was no FF where I spent so much time in a single playtrough. Was surprised when I got on the internetz and saw people hate it. I know that blitzball is not good but damned I enjoyed it ^^'. and love the sphere grid. Really never understood why people prefer the level up to 99 instead of Sphere grid system.

FFX isn't even the best Final Fantasy game. FFIV and FFVI are the best in the series. I'd also put Lost Odyssey in front of it.

Chrono Trigger is better i my opinion.

There are a few:

Final Fantasy VII

Baldur's Gate I and II, Icewind Dale I and II

Deus Ex

The Witcher 3

Chrono Trigger

Gothic 3

Lands of Lore

Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss

Fallout 2

Pillars of Eternity

And of course; the best RPG of all time: Betrayal at Krondor

So, yes, I will easily contest that claim. Heck; FFXII is right up there with FFX imo.