By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is now the worst time to be a Nintendo console owner?

curl-6 said:
RolStoppable said:

I wouldn't call those third party games diamonds, but there was a good number of games that were sufficient as fillers or even good (not great, but good). For the Wii U there is almost nothing worth of value. I will own hardly any third party games for this console by the end of its lifetime.

Okay, diamonds is stretching it, but yeah, there were plenty that offered quality experiences; your 7-8/10 games.

On Wii U there's the top tier, and not much else.

But they are diamonds to the right person.  Take a game like muramasa or fragile, these games are niche and are considered by some to be great.  They will never be recognized widely as great because they are niche and to be fair they aren't perfect.  

I could say the same thing about loads of wii games.  Wii U doesn't get these games, they'd be lucky to even get a lazy port much less exclusive.

However in list wars land only mainstream top tier games count.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network
johnsobas said:
curl-6 said:

Okay, diamonds is stretching it, but yeah, there were plenty that offered quality experiences; your 7-8/10 games.

On Wii U there's the top tier, and not much else.

But they are diamonds to the right person.  Take a game like muramasa or fragile, these games are niche and are considered by some to be great.  They will never be recognized widely as great because they are niche and to be fair they aren't perfect.  

I could say the same thing about loads of wii games.  Wii U doesn't get these games, they'd be lucky to even get a lazy port much less exclusive.

However in list wars land only mainstream top tier games count.

Good point; some of my top Wii games are titles that nobody knows about, like Sin & Punishment 2.

There a whole class of quirky niche exclusives on Wii that are simply missing on Wii U.

You guys are also picking games from after the Wii's third year.

Xenoblade and Sin & Punishment 2? Didn't come out in the Wii's first three years.

Rose colored glasses there. The Wii U's lineup through it's first three years matches up to the Wii very well. If we're looking at the core notable Nintendo releases, leaving off mini-game compilations:

Wii U 2012-2015: Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, Super Mario 3D World, Super Mario Maker, Xenoblade X, Bayonetta 1/2, Fatal Frame V, Super Smash Bros. U, Yoshi's Wooly World, Star Fox Zero, Hyrule Warriors, Zelda: Wind Waker HD, Mario Tennis, Donkey Kong Country: TF, Captain Toad, Devil's Third, NES Remix, NSMBU + NSLU.

Wii 2006-2009: Zelda: TP, Super Paper Mario, Excite Truck, Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Endless Ocean, Battallion Wars 2, Mario Strikers, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, NSMB, Link's Crossbow Training, Pokemon Battle Rev, Punch-Out!, Excitebots.

Even third party content in this time, even though the Wii U has been shut out ... I'd say Zombi U, Rayman Legends, COD: BLOPS 2, Batman Arkham City, ACIV, Deux Ex, NFS, quality wise fares about as well as the top Wii 3rd party titles for that period ... Guitar Hero 3, No More Heroes, RE4 Wii Edition, Little King Story, etc.

Even party games, Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort, Wii Fit, Wario Ware, Mario Party, Mario & Sonic, Wii Music ... ok, but Wii U has Nintendo Land, Wii Sports Club, Wii Fit Plus, Wii Party U, Mario & Sonic, Animal Crossing Amiibo Party, Game & Wario. So not exactly a huge discrepancy there either. If that's the type of game you like there's plenty of it on Wii U. 

i've lived through GC, Wii and Wii U (was a bit too young for N64)

out of those three i would say Wii U era is probably without a doubt the worst. especially sad because if you told me in 2008/2009 that Nintendo's next console was going to be even worse game wise i wouldn't have believed you.

Soundwave said:

Xenoblade, Fragile, Sin & Punishment 2? Didn't come out in the Wii's first three years.

Rose colored glasses there. The Wii U's lineup through it's first three years matches up to the Wii very well. If we're looking at the core Nintendo releases, leaving off mini-game compilations:

Wii U 2012-2015: Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, Super Mario 3D World, Super Mario Maker, Xenoblade X, Bayonetta 1/2, Fatal Frame V, Super Smash Bros. U, Yoshi's Wooly World, Star Fox Zero, Hyrule Warriors, Zelda: Wind Waker HD, Mario Tennis, Donkey Kong Country: TF, Captain Toad, Devil's Third, NES Remix, NSMBU + NSLU.

Wii 2006-2009: Zelda: TP, Super Paper Mario, Excite Truck, Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Endless Ocean, Battallion Wars 2, Mario Strikers, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, NSMB, Link's Crossbow Training, Pokemon Battle Rev, Punch-Out!, Excitebots.

Even third party content in this time, even though the Wii U has been shut out ... I'd say Zombi U, Rayman Legends, COD: BLOPS 2, Batman Arkham City, ACIV, Deux Ex, NFS, quality wise fares about as well as the top Wii 3rd party titles for that period ... Guitar Hero 3, No More Heroes, RE4 Wii Edition, Little King Story, etc.

I tip my hat to you for picking up on the likes of Little King's Story and Battalion Wars, which are usually ignored, but there's plenty of other decent offerings 2006-2009; de Blob, COD World at War and Modern Warfare, Medal of Honor Heroes 2, Zack and Wiki, Shaun White Snowboarding, House of the Dead Overkill, Dead Space Extraction, Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles & Umbrella Chronicles...

Wii U did have better third party support in its first two years than Wii, but it ceased after that while Wii kept getting mid-tier titles here and there.

Around the Network

Not if you are happy with it and play games you enjoy.

If you are too worried about what other people think than to enjoy your console, then I think therapy would be a wise choice.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Games like MK8, Smash Bros, Bayo 2, Shovel Knight, Splatoon, Hyrule Warriors, and Captain Toad in the last year, and ones like Wooly World, Xenoblade X, Star Fox Zero, and Super Mario Maker all coming soon. Oh yeah, clearly Wii U owners are being soooo mistreated. Puh-lease.

Now whether or not 2016 sucks to be a Wii U owner remains to be seen, but the last year and the rest of this year have been way better than anyone wants to give credit for.

Soundwave said:

Xenoblade and Sin & Punishment 2? Didn't come out in the Wii's first three years.

Rose colored glasses there. The Wii U's lineup through it's first three years matches up to the Wii very well. If we're looking at the core notable Nintendo releases, leaving off mini-game compilations:

Even party games, Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort, Wii Fit, Wario Ware, Mario Party, Mario & Sonic, Wii Music ... ok, but Wii U has Nintendo Land, Wii Sports Club, Wii Fit Plus, Wii Party U, Mario & Sonic, Animal Crossing Amiibo Party, Game & Wario. So not exactly a huge discrepancy there either. If that's the type of game you like there's plenty of it on Wii U. 

Ok well you're missing a ton of wii games, and the games you did list for Wii U are all ports except for Zombi U which is actually not gonna be for long.  I guess you could have mentioned W101 or shovel knight but i have to stretch my mind to come up with anything besides that and wii has a huge list.  The Wii U did have some port support early on and a couple games were tried exclusively, some of them bailed early on like Rayman.  That all dried up pretty quickly, now you're left with random casual game ports and 1st party.  Also given how bad 3rd party support is for Wii U you might as well be comparing it to the end of the Wii, because it isn't gonna get much better before the end of it's life.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

I much prefer WiiU/3DS cycle than Wii/DS, but it's probably my fault, because I abandoned the Wii very quickly. I was growing tired of gaming and I didn't feel the need to keep playing. But, in retrospective, I find out that there are a lot of niche games on the Wii that I would like to play now, I missed some gems in that system. I don't think any of Nintendo's cycles were that bad, I enjoyed all of them (except, as I said, Wii/DS).

It is the worst time to be a Nintendo console owner if you play games only on Wii U.