By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is now the worst time to be a Nintendo console owner?

curl-6 said:
Soundwave said:

Er? Super NES had what ... Earthbound, Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, DKC 1 & 2, Street Fighter II, Street Fighter II Turbo, Mortal Kombat 2, Final Fantasy V & VI, Chrono Trigger, Super Metroid, Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past, Super Mario Kart, Star Fox, and many others, I'd say a platform having only 6-7 really great games is on the low side. 

SNES is the best console of all time and an exception to the rule. I certainly wouldn't say PS3 or 360 had more greast games than Wii, for instance. Wii U and Gamecube don't either.

This argument pretty much comes down to taste though....

Follow my Gaming and Graphics Business on facebook and on Twitter:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=101878997952596&ref=br_rs

https://twitter.com/KellyGGWD

Around the Network
uran10 said:
curl-6 said:

SNES is the best console of all time and an exception to the rule. I certainly wouldn't say PS3 or 360 had more greast games than Wii, for instance. Wii U and Gamecube don't either.

This argument pretty much comes down to taste though....

Naturally, game quality is always just down to taste.

curl-6 said:
Soundwave said:

Er? Super NES had what ... Earthbound, Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, DKC 1 & 2, Street Fighter II, Street Fighter II Turbo, Mortal Kombat 2, Final Fantasy V & VI, Chrono Trigger, Super Metroid, Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past, Super Mario Kart, Star Fox, and many others, I'd say a platform having only 6-7 really great games is on the low side. 

You'd be pretty wrong I'd say. 

Uncharted 1-3, God of War III, LittleBigPlanet, Batman Arkham Asylum, BioShock, Grand Theft Auto IV and V, Red Dead Redemption, The Last Of Us, Street Fighter IV, Call of Duty, Metal Gear Solid IV, Elder Scrolls IV, Mass Effect 3, Journey, Borderlands, Ni No Kuni,  etc. etc. 

PS3 wipes the floor with the Wii, but that's bound to happen when they had basically all the third party support. 

Even if not every game on that list is my personal taste, I acknowledge they're well made games that left a mark on the industry. 

Can't say there's ever been a time I wasn't happy with a Nintendo console.

Edit: Actually. N64. Definitely wasn't happy with it.

I am actually very happy with both my 3DS and Wii U.

Almost every game i picked was very good or excellent, from indies to big IPs, and i had a lot of fun.

The exceptions are: Monster Hunter 3U (I could not into it), Fantasy Life (liked the gameplay, but the story is very basic). I will make a full review for both consoles at the end of this year, but i love both of them.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
curl-6 said:

Uncharted 1, 2, 3, God of War III, LittleBigPlanet, Batman Arkham Asylum, BioShock, Grand Theft Auto IV and V, Red Dead Redemption, The Last Of Us, Street Fighter IV, Call of Duty, Metal Gear Solid IV, Elder Scrolls IV, Mass Effect 3, Journey, Borderlands, Ni No Kuni,  etc. etc. 

PS3 wipes the floor with the Wii, but that's bound to happen when they had basically all the third party support. 

Highlighted the ones I consider "truly great", along with Bioshock Infinite and Dead Space, which weren't listed. Would list Bayonetta as well but the PS3 version is a travesty.

curl-6 said:
Soundwave said:

Uncharted 1, 2, 3, God of War III, LittleBigPlanet, Batman Arkham Asylum, BioShock, Grand Theft Auto IV and V, Red Dead Redemption, The Last Of Us, Street Fighter IV, Call of Duty, Metal Gear Solid IV, Elder Scrolls IV, Mass Effect 3, Journey, Borderlands, Ni No Kuni,  etc. etc. 

Highlighted the ones I consider "truly great", along with Bioshock Infinite and Dead Space, which weren't listed. Would list Bayonetta as well but the PS3 version is a travesty.

PS3 would've sold maybe 30 million systems if it didn't have a great library to buoy the second half of its life cycle. The PS3 had far more 90+ Metacritic games than the Wii did. 

If we're going to get reeeeal picky I'd say Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 are really the only truly "great" Wii titles, and SMG2 felt a little redundant. Both Zelda games had their fair share of problems, including the ridiculous amount of hand holding in Skyward Sword and terrible pacing in Twilight Princess, neither one stands out as the defining adventure game of its generation the way Link to the Past or Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask did. 

Like I don't like GTA, I don't play those games, but I'm not going to sit here with a straight face and say it's just an average game. 

Soundwave said:
curl-6 said:

PS3 would've sold maybe 30 million systems if it didn't have a great library to buoy the second half of its life cycle. The PS3 had far more 90+ Metacritic games than the Wii did. 

If we're going to get reeeeal picky I'd say Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 are really the only truly "great" Wii titles, and SMG2 felt a little redundant. Both Zelda games had their fair share of problems, including the ridiculous amount of hand holding in Skyward Sword and terrible pacing in Twilight Princess. 

I don't really care what Metacritic says, I can form my own opinions. ;)

My complete list of true greats on PS3/360 is as follows: Bioshock, Bioshock Infinite, Uncharted 2, Dead Space, Bayonetta.

On Wii: Galaxy 1 & 2, Skyward Sword, Twilight Princess, Xenoblade, Prime 3, DKCR.

curl-6 said:
Soundwave said:

If we're going to get reeeeal picky I'd say Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 are really the only truly "great" Wii titles, and SMG2 felt a little redundant. Both Zelda games had their fair share of problems, including the ridiculous amount of hand holding in Skyward Sword and terrible pacing in Twilight Princess. 

My complete list of true greats on PS3/360 is as follows: Bioshock, Bioshock Infinite, Uncharted 2, Dead Space, Bayonetta.

On Wii: Galaxy 1 & 2, Skyward Sword, Twilight Princess, Xenoblade, Prime 3, DKCR.

Your being very generous with the two Zelda games, they have more than their share of problems and won't be remembered in the same way Ocarina of Time or Link to the Past were. Prime 3 as well .... meh. Good game, I'm not sure I'd say it's a "great game" if you're disqualifying things like Batman Arkham Asylum and Red Dead Revolver. 

Galaxy 1 & 2 are probably the only two Wii games that would make Nintendo's top 20 best games ever made. 

Soundwave said:
curl-6 said:

Your being very generous with the two Zelda games, they have more than their share of problems and won't be remembered in the same way Ocarina of Time or Link to the Past were. Prime 3 as well .... meh. Good game, I'm not sure I'd say it's a "great game" if you're disqualifying things like Batman Arkham Asylum and Red Dead Revolver. 

Galaxy 1 & 2 are probably the only two Wii games that would make Nintendo's top 20 best games ever made. 

That's the great thing about opinions; everyone is entitled to their own. ;)