By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is now the worst time to be a Nintendo console owner?

No because we already know that great games are coming this year and few next year like Zelda.
So no, its not the worst time to be a Nintendo console owner, but we don't know yet what exactly we will have next year.

Around the Network

Never had one tbh. But the only Nintendo consoles i have ever owned are the Wii, DS, 3DS and the Wii U. Since i dont have a lot of money and time, i dont always buy games on the first day/month or even the year it got released in. SOOOOOOO There is always a game for the current system i owned to buy = the drought of games never have or will effect me.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

I don't think so. For a Zelda and Metroid fan for example, like me, yes. But not for a Nintenfo fan as a whole.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

RolStoppable said:
DélioPT said:
If it's not the worst it really is one of the worst times to be a Nintendo owner!

I can't really recall how things unfolded during the N64 days, but comparing Wii U to GC, even if both had little support from Nintendo in their last days, at least GC had 3rd party support.

Wii U in 2016 is a wasteland.
You have 3 games coming in 2016: Zelda (most likely coming out Holiday 2016), Fire Emblem and Project Treasure (assuming it's a retail title).

After E3 last year you had like 8 games announced for 2015. This year you got nothing.
It's not there aren't more games coming, but i think it's clear that after the 1Q, things will get very bad.

GC was as good as dead in 2006, with the release schedule for the entire year looking worse than the Wii U's right now. Third party support didn't amount to much in 2005 either, because the system's abandonment began in 2003 and showed already notable problems in 2004. And the ports that third parties still provided in 2005 and 2006 were phoned in by fourth string teams.

I remember when I bought Sonic Heroes in September 2006. I was saying to myself: "This is the first GC game I bought this year, and it's Player's Choice." - So yeah, that's what you should be prepared for in 2016. It's going to get worse before it gets better again with the launch of new hardware in late 2016.

It's true. 2016 will be really bad for Wii U and will look even worse if it doesn't get replaced next year.

Overall, when comparing GC and Wii U, GC was in a better place even if things were already looking bad by 2003/2004.
You don't get that today because those smaller titles are now gone and companies still had a (small) reason to back GC during that time.

Depends. If you don't like everything they output, then yes. Only 3 games really appeal to me. And of those 3, all were delayed. So I'm sitting on games I don't care for. "Splatoon is great! Buy that!" I know a ton say, but it's not what I'm looking for nor care to buy till late August at the earliest. It's been pretty boring for me, but for others it might be better. Then again, it's a matter of the games appealing to my own personal tastes so I can't complain too much. Only the droughts

Around the Network

Oh man, the 2008-2009 Wii era was the absolute worst. After Wii Fit released, there was this long year drought when literaly no good games worth noticing were released (Wii Music, City Folk, Wii Sports Resort, all were forgettable games).

I think most people are just stressed out about what's going to happen in 2016.

Edit: I did like Punch-Out, though.

There are more games coming this year on Wii U than I can buy, so..no.

I don't remember ever feeling that way about Nintendo consoles as there is always something to play and something to look foreword too

I'm having a splatastic time with Splatoon and waiting for Yoshi's Woolly world this Friday

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Nope. My WiiU is still played almost daily and Splatoon is the best game out right now on any platform.

Hiku said:

Nintendo 64.

Games retailed at $70, similar lack of third party (quality) support, and at the same time you were missing out on all the amazing titles on PS1. In many cases sequels to franchises you were used to getting on SNES.

I disagree as a RPG and fighting game fan, the N64 was awful.

But if you liked FPS, party games and sports it is one of Nintendo's top 3 best home consoles. Prices did indeed too much but man, but outside of some of the early droughts where all you had to play was Super Mario 64 or maybe Turok: Dinosaur Hunter, the N64 for a NA player such as myself while not the same level of classic single player experiences was always great at parties and gatherings.